How to get notified if there’s no plate in your printer

Happened twice to me. My bad. But I really forgot to put a plate into my P1S. Result: a big mess of melted pla at the nozzle because it doesn’t stick at all on the surface of the tape.
Lucky me I could remove most of the material, some rests removed themselves by time. Printed only some functional things and could remove those fragments.
But how can it be, that the printer is giving an error message if the plate is not adjusted correctly but not if there is no plate at all?
Is there no way to recognize a missing plate?

1 Like

Answer: You buy an X1. This option is not present in the P1 series.

The best you might see is exactly what you described. If the leveling procedure happens to sense the plate is off center, will throw an error message. But if there is no plate, the bed leveling startup routine won’t sense a disturbance and you wind up with a bowl of really cool looking filament pasta as you have discovered.

Yes. You take 5 seconds to look through the integrated camera of your printer.

1 Like

You just change your work flow and get into the habit of checking there’s one in before putting, or swapping in a different plate as you take one out.

1 Like

My thought was to have that done by the firmware as she can recognize a badly placed plate.

And yes of course it was my fault, never said anything else.
And yes, by looking through the door or activating cam view, I could have prevented the mess.
And yes I‘m old (70), sometimes a little but forgetful, a newbie in 3d printing, and sometime I‘m lying in bed with my tablet and I then see a model I like, so,I send it to my P1S without getting up again to check if there’s a plate loaded.
So thank you for all the good advices :smirk:.
The only really helpful one was „buy a x1 as that thing supports it“.
What proves, that it is even possible.

A spare plate might be the easiest solution - I try to never leave my printers without a plate in it - and if I need to wait a while for the old one to cool outside the printer I try to immediately slot a spare one in.

1 Like

Ok, so maybe you are 70, then what excuse do the rest of us have for doing the same dumb shít? :rofl:

1 Like

You are excused :grin:

This might be the only true way on how to fix it (without changing your routine) but I’m not sure if that would justify a new $500 more expensive Printer :grin:

I do like this idea.

Take off the plate with the print, place your spare, throw yourself back into bed until you found your next model. Rinse and repeat.

It might be a feature that is coming to the P1 series. I say that as the A series just got an update to “detect build plate” so I wouldn’t be surprised if it carries over at some point. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

From your lips to God’s ears. When was the last time we saw Bambu offer a hardware upgrade on the P1 other than the missing pieces that should have been there to begin with?

From the specs, the A1 has a better camera. I don’t believe the Espressif MCU used in the P1 has the juice to pull off the FPS to do anything real time. I have a number of Espressif MPUs with cameras and they all can barely do 640 x 480 at 10 frames/sec. In fact, I’m working on a project over the last 6 months to see if I can adapt it’s faster cousin to be a better chamber camera. So far I’ve gotten the code to work over Wi-Fi but the through put sucks.

This is one of those occasions where I really wish Bambu had adopted a Raspberry Architecture. It would have made the P1 so much better and extensible.

Oh, to be 70 is not a merit (the right word?) it just happens to one. But to get there halfway healthy can be something you have to work for. :wink:

I’m told that the A1 series doesn’t use the camera to detect the plate. Some trickery with gcode I suspect. That’s why I hope that it’s simply a firmware upgrade to detect if the nozzle is stopped by the rear tab on the build plate.

2 Likes