How to move print file from print cache to SD card

Hi,
I have done a print (standard part) I would like to have it saved in the printer for future use without the need to send it from studio.
From print cash it is removed after some new prints are done.

How can I move this print file from print cash on to SD card in the printer?

Cris.

I’m afraid you have a misconception of how the printer’s cache works. The files are not cached, instead they are sent as 3MF archives when you hit send. The printer then extracts the gcode from the the 3MF archive into Gcode. That file stays on your SD Card forever or until you delete it. Make a note of this because from a privacy point of view, it’s wise to periodically clean your SD card for any models you may not want people knowing you printed such as NSFW models. :wink:

You can then access the files on your SD Card directly from your printers user panel by navigating to the folder and select print. Selecting either the Gcode or 3MF file will work but note that the downside is that this method forces a bed leveling which printing from the slicer allows you to override. I might suggest naming the file to something more descriptive so you can recognize it. Otherwise it will default to the model name. You can change the name by changing the plate name which will override the model name.

You can manipulate the files manually by pulling the SD card and reading it on a computer. Highly inconvenient but reliable. You also have the option of slicing a file in Bambu Studio or Orca directly to a file and placing it on your SD card.

In case you missed it in the slicer, here’s where the Send Gcode to file may be found. You will want to experiment with Export placed sliced file and Gcode file. I tried this a couple of times but I forget which one has the advantage so try both and see which one is easier.

Although I believe the X1 always had SD support from within the slicer, the new Bambu Studio now supports the P1 direct to SD card copy and manupulations in version 1.9 or later assuming you also have the latest P1 1.05 firmware but I found the P1 firmware too buggy and backreved it so I don’t have a lot of experience with that feature other than it worked OK when I tested it.

If you’re using LAN-only mode, the printer supports FTP. I find this to be the best and most flexible option of remotely managing the SD card. But note that LAN-only mode disables handy which I never liked to begin with but you might prefer it, if so FTP is not an option for you. Using an open source FTP program like FileZilla or WinSCP will give you access directly to the SD card without removing the card. It also allows you full access to the SD card as if it were plugged into your computer which the Bambu Studio interface is highly filtered because I guess Bambu either wants to make the experience more user friendly or more likely the case, they don’t want tech support tickets from users who don’t understand FTP. FTP is easy to set up if you have a modicum of technical skills and can read though a half a page of instructions.

Here’s what that looks like in WinSCP. Note that one also can get easy access to the time lapsed videos on the SD card too through FTP without interrupting the printer or Bambu Studio or Orca if you’re in the middle of something.

Ok,
I see I must have not explain clearly or misguide or perhaps I need to approach this form different angle.

So simply speaking what I want to do (I guess) is I want to upload model/gcode to printer so it is saved on SD for future use directly from the printer.

Currently when I send models to print from bambustudio they are not being saved on SD (They are send through cloud or something). They have bee saving on SD when I was using printer in LAN environment only, but now I have it set up so it is accessible through internet (as I need to monitor it remotely).

Do I need to save model on the card from my PC (taking the card out of the printer)?

Cris.

Instead of “Print Plate”, use the “Send” option in Bambu Studio

The X series is different than the P series in that it transfers prints to the cache, not the SD card. The P series sends all prints to the SD card.

If you use the “Send” button Studio will transfer the print the the SD card on the X1C printer and you can select it from the SD card at any future date.

4 Likes

There are probably other ways to do this, but I know this works on my X1C.

In the upper right of Studio, click the dropdown arrow and select Send.
The “Print plate” button will change to “Send”, so now click Send.
The sliced file will be transferred to the SDcard of the selected printer as “filename.gcode.3mf”.
This much will work in both cloud and LAN-only mode.

“Export” will save the *.gcode.3mf file to your computer or network location.

The *.gcode.3mf files on the SDcard can be printed from the touch screen at any time. Cloud access is required to print the files on the SDcard from Studio or Handy.

==========================================

Getting off-topic, but there is a Bambu Studio oddity here:
On the X1C, FTP read/write access to the SDcard is available in both cloud and LAN-only modes.

Studio can “Send” to the SDcard in both cloud and LAN-only mode so it clearly has write access to the SDcard in LAN-only mode.

Yet choosing Device>MicroSD>Model or Timelapse in LAN-only mode results in an error that says something like “failure to initialize (not available in LAN only mode)”.

Why can’t Studio read/display thumbnail/print the SDcard *.gcode.3mf files from the Device tab in LAN-only mode?

On my x1 Carbon I do not need to be in LAN only mode to transfer files via FTP, (FileZilla), from my computer to the SD card. It works while using the cloud workflow as well as LAN only.

I use this to access the SD card when I’m away from home.

Thanks. I think this solves my problem

FYI it works without LAN mode as well. I used to have that mentioned in my thread about FTP but recently removed that mention… I’ll put it back :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing that tidbit. But are we talking X1 or P1? I’m on the P1 and the last time I tested connection via the cloud I was not able to connect via FTP. Once I severed and went LAN-only, the connection went through. Now in all fairness, I was on 1.03 firmware. I’ll try it again later in the week and report my findings back here.

P-series specifically. I have a couple of P1Ps and a couple of P1Ss and can confirm it’s still working on the latest firmware.