How to prevent seam bulging out

I’m printing with PCTG. There is too much material extruded at the seam. It’s bulging out. Are there setting in the BambuStudio to improve the quality?

(with PLA it’s better - maybe even a little to less material)

you could try to randomize the seam instead of having it in one line?

That part is assembled with other parts. Aesthetics is less important. A ranzomized seam just randomizes the accuracy. I’d rather prefer too little material at the seam.

Where is the bulging seam at the bottom of the model? Or is it just hard to see in your photo above?

1 Like

There is a setting in the slicer called slice gap closing radius. What do you have this set at?

Do you have the order of inner wall/ outer wall/ infill setting at something weird? I’ve kept it at inner/outer/infill for all prints and haven’t seen this issue.

Could be you have your infill/wall overlap too high?? I don’t know about this one though.

Round parts are going to have this issue no matter what you do, however, yours is REAL bad. :rofl:

1 Like

The slicer makes these funny dancing circles at the seam (blue travel moves). Assuming it does some retraction and z-hop. Maybe it would be better to not hop and quickly move into infill region, instead of oozing and stringing around.

Can this be tuned or turned off?

When I change the wall sequence to outer-inner, it makes less dancing circles. I’ll try, how this affects the quality …

2 Likes

Could you post the part file here?

only in the SoftFever fork

1 Like

I never found z-hop any good, I would advice to disable it as well as the wiping, not usefull on DD.

Also too much plastic or too less plastic on seams problems maybe lowered by adjusting pressure advance, what you get look like the PA tower calibration proposed here

1 Like

Turned off the z-hops, and it already looks a bit better. Thanks for the hint.

The picture actually shows the bottom side of the print: shiny location is a 45° overhang, while the matte locations are vertical. My PCTG obviously is shiny for low print-speeds, and matte for higher print-speeds. Kind of a cool effect.

However there is still room for improvements for the seam. It looks like there is too much material at the end of the loop, when closing the seam. In Curo or Simplify3D the feature is named “Coasting”. Does BambuStudio have this?

1 Like

Why not just sand the seam? If it’s too much material, you should easily get it nice and flush

Z hop is nice if you have big overhangs that tend to curl up. I use it only when i have a special model to print on my printers as it adds a lot of timeloss to the prints.

The PA advice should help aswell!

cheers from switzerland

omg, thank you. Went down a rabbit hole trying to figure out why my prints had weird bulges on what should be a flat wall, not even where a seam was. Seemed to always be on the other side of some feature Saw the printhead was making weird circle motions there. Turned off z-hop (it was set to spiral) and those circle motions went away in the preview. Haven’t tested it, but I think it will fix my weird bulges on what should be flat walls.

The bambu wiki is not helpful for this option.

In Bambu studio, I couldn’t find a way to turn off z-hop. There is a normal option.
Also, there is z-hop when retracting value. Does setting that value to 0 turn off z-hop?

1 Like

I second this. I see the Z hop when retracting and Z hop type settings, but do not know what options/values to use.

I didnt read every response but if you turn on developer settings, a setting called seem gap becomes available.