I learned I was missing a lot of messages

Just trying to figure out if this is a bug or not, but I noticed I was missing a lot of MW model comment replies because the little bell in the browser app
often does not show a notification dot when people reply to comments. It works when they post, but it doesn’t seem to work for replies for me. Nor are they listed at the my/notification/comments URL.

To find them I have to go to each model and scroll down the to comments section.
Is this a known issue, or a me issue?

[FWIW as of yesterday I turned on email notifications (don’t like them!), but it hasn’t been long enough to see if this will be a way to be notified of all replies].

1 Like

Yeah this happens to me all the time. A lot of times its when someone reviews a profile someone else made on your model. E.g. I designed the model, but since I didn’t have a profile for it, someone else got the notif as they made the profile. IMO its annoying.

2 Likes

It seems they have been experiencing performance issues lately. This could be due to the numerous requests needed to load all their functionality. They appear to be splitting larger requests into multiple smaller ones and delaying less critical requests, like notifications.

If these delayed notification requests time out or fail, you won’t receive them. This issue is likely to be resolved once they prioritize performance over new features and design.

1 Like

This isn’t necessarily the case for me as I don’t think I have any 3rd party profiles yet on my models, but it’s good to know. I’ll be keeping an eye on this. Thank you.

1 Like

Good info. Thank you. Hopefully it’s resolved soon. I often reply to comments to discuss issues users might have run into, so if I miss them I feel like I miss important or timely information.
I would use direct messaging, but that seems really intrusive because I know people don’t necessarily want to take time to discuss issues with a maker.
What do others do to go around the comments issue? Checking each model periodically really is rather time consuming…

You should report it as a bug for BL to look into and fix it.

I had one situation where a user’s reply to my reply to their comment wasn’t shown up in my email, but I didn’t report it as a bug at the time because I saw their reply a few hours after it posted on the model comment section. Since usually there is a delay between the posting of comment and the email notification, I thought it was possible that it didn’t go to the email because I already saw it. Now that you have encountered many instances, it’s quite possible that this is an oversight on BL’s part.

1 Like

Will definitely do. What you describe is pretty much the behavior I observed. I get a notice for the first message, but not the replies.

Work in progress…
I gave them a link and screenshot to a conversation and flagged every message that I was not notified for and noticed a pattern.
I think that if a user clicks the ‘reply’ button to a comment but does not explicitly tag us with @… , we don’t get a notification.
If any of you has time to verify this independently, it would be very useful.

Here’s the example I sent to support. Tagged in red are the messages I did not receive notifications for, which caused me to miss ALL of Spoklad’s answers in the same discussion.

1 Like

I realize this isn’t a thrilling subject or anything, but I thought I’d follow up on the conclusion I reached with makerworld’s support.

There were two factors contributing to the lack of notifications:

• Spoklad was replying to themselves rather than clicking ‘Reply’ next to my message. I’m surprised the UX allows this, but here we are. This might be addressed in the future.
  • When another user replied to Spoklad I also did not get a notifiication. This is intended behavior, but it might also be address as a feature request. I suggested makers should be notified of any and all comment posts on their model’s page. This would take care of both issues.
1 Like

Thanks for the update. So in your example, that user was replying to themselves?

I just had another case where I saw a user’s reply two days after it’s posted. I wasn’t notified via email. So this could be another case of users replying to themselves?

Maybe the question is: Has anyone gotten email notification on users’s reply?

Yes, that’s what support said. That the user was replying to themselves instead of replying to my messages.

I still feel like there’s something suspect going on with reply notifications, but support said they haven’t been able to reproduce the issue.
@DWdesigns if you want to test things further, I’d be happy to try commenting on something you posted just to see how things unfold.

I agree this is the right question to ask at this point. It’s a ‘no’ for me.

I agree that the designer should be notified of all comments on the model page regardless to whom these comments are addressed. @Tanklet , can this be done?

Agree 100% with this. If someone responds to someone else’s post in one of my model posts. I never see it. Also, it seems my first reply to a user asking a question never tags the user. (Do they see my reply?) My second reply seems to tag the user (Replying to: @user123). I always try to insert @userxxx in my first reply.

1 Like

Ugh… You are correct! The first reply to users does NOT tag them. I suspect they never get notified since notifications seem to be tied to tagging (and that’s also why when a user replies to someone else’s message on your model, you will not get a notification).

Guessing something was implemented overnight. Because now I’m getting messages for ratings and such when I had chosen not to receive them.

Ya swung the pendulum too hard Makerworld. Dial it back a notch.

1 Like

Looks like users are still replying to their own comments and I miss the notification.
Given how common this is, the UI probably should not show a reply button on their own comments.
Or just notify the model’s owner for any and all messages.

This. [Feature] Notification of makes of others' profiles