IC3D PTEG Filament AMS Fit

Last summer, I bought some PTEG Filament, cool colors at Microcenter in Cincinnati. It is IC3D Recycled Blue Razz. I think may be good for a project.

The problem: It doesn’t fit in the AMS. I could hang it on the back of the printer, but I need two colors: Black PTEG and Blue PTEG.

I do not have a spool winder.

It is possible to use the AMS and the rear spool hanger? Otherwise, I’m just going to toss this roll.

How can we prevent from buying reels that are too big. This is 1.75mm 1KG. I don’t see anything on the box that warns that it is wider and larger in diameter than a standard reel.

In the meantime, I ordered some ESUN from Amazon that will work, although I am sure the blue isn’t as cool.

Sigh

Is it too wide or just tall? If too tall can you run it with the lid open? I have an off brand roll that is taller and it won’t work with the lid closed. If too wide, then no way to do it without modding the ams or respooling. Hydra mod I believe it was called.

In the past, I found I could use the Amazon Basics with just the lid popped open a little. With these IC3D rolls, they are BOTH too tall and too wide. I rigged up some metal bars, threaded rod, and a drill and managed to get a nice amount on to an empty PLA roll, but I fxcked up a lot of filament in the process.

Right now, I don’t feel like building a filament roll transfer device, I have some travel coming up this week too. So, I just ordered a $75 one made by Sunlu, I think, off of amazon. It was a lot of $$ for the way it looks, we’ll see. If it is no good, I will build up one of the nice printable designs when time allows.

I just wish we could tell when ordering what plastic reel these companies use.

Overnight I got the design to print without this blue reel binding - yea. I did find that PTEG doesn’t stretch across gaps as well as PLA does.

1 Like

One more thing: While working with the AMS, I found the reel drive rollers have quite a bit of wear one them, all of them. I did stock replacements, but am not quite ready to replace them yet, but may do so soon. I will order replacements for the replacements that I will use soon - lol.

Can you add a pause option to use the back of the printer spool as a 5th option with the ams ?

I don’t know. It would be nice if that AMS buffer screwed to the back of the printed had external input, but then it would never know, it can’t talk to a roll hanging on the back. If you can add pauses, I have no idea how to.

I don’t believe you can use both an external spool and the AMS. The selection will only allow one or the other.