Importing Multiple Objects from Fusion 360 to Bambu Studio

Hi everyone,

I’ve encountered a challenge when working with Fusion 360 and Bambu Studio for 3D printing projects. My goal is to import multiple 3D objects from Fusion 360 into Bambu Studio for printing. However, every time I attempt this, each object is opened in its own separate instance within Bambu Studio, rather than all objects being imported into a single instance.

This creates a workflow issue, as I’d prefer to manage and print these objects together, utilizing the same print settings and layout for efficiency and consistency. Does anyone have experience with this or know of a way to import multiple objects from Fusion 360 into the same instance in Bambu Studio? Any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help.

I assume you checked the box in F360 to directly open the slicer when exporting? If yes, try to save the file in your prefered format (e.g. 3mf or as step-file) and open it from inside BS/OS.

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but…

I’ve got some multi coloured models with 100s of separate bodies in fusion 360 that I regularly import into BS.

I used to import the bodies as individual stls which then came in as separate objects that needed to be independently coloured. (See my Ventura ship model on MW for example).

What I now do is merge all of the bodies of the same colour within the same part into a single stl file - so that I end up with only one stl per colour per part, which is then much easier to handle in BS.

The way I actually achieve this (via a Fusion 360 script), is to go through each colour in the model, hide every f360 body except for those of the colour to be exported, then export an STL for the visible bodies. then repeat this for every colour (and part). (See my later ship models on MW for example).

Depending on the complexity of your f360 model you could probably do the hiding and showing by hand to give you less objects to manage in BS.

1 Like

Than you Wylaryzel,

this is exactly the way I do it until now. But with CURA and a Ultimaker Printer, in Cura there is an option to determate if fusion sholud oben for each export a seoerate cura instanz oder add every export file in the same cura instanz. The question ist, is there any simular function in bambu studio.

Thank You Ukdavewood,

if you import e group of objects from a single STL file, are you able to handel this objects in BS as single Objects an can move them separatly on the bulit plate?

Regards

It sounds like Cura lets you send one object from Fusion and then send another object to the same Cura project? Studio will not work like that.

There are a number of ways to 3D Print/Export from Fusion and it is not clear what commands you are using.

If the objects in Fusion are in one file, I actually have not found any way to force Studio to open multiple instances without intentionally exporting one object at a time.

If the objects are in separate Fusion files, I think you will have to export each file individually, and then they can be imported together (using Ctrl+click or Shift+click in the selection dialog) or added to your Studio project one at a time.

1 Like

I use Fusion 360 to bring multiple parts into Bambu Studio all the time. The workflow I use is to make your parts into components and export them as a Step file. Have you tried this approach?

Thank you! I know this but I want to ADD part to part from fusion to BS via STL. i have a very complex project and it is a lot of time to hide all components for stl export for exporting a view smal parts. So in Cura there ist a option to turn on or off this feature, and maybe in bambu deep settings to?

Fusion has the show hide command that I use to hide all the components at once.

I have the same request. Imperator touches on an important workflow issue. Migrating from a Fusion 360 → Cura workflow I find it extremely frustrating that Fusion 360 opens a new instance of BS every time I wish to print a design. With Cura the object was added to the current scene. One suggestion would be that a design exported (via the 3D print command) from F360 to BS would:

1. IF BS is not started THEN open a new instance of BS and open the object
  2. IF there is an active instance of BS THEN add the object to a new plate
  3. IF the object already exists (by name) THEN BS should prompt the user wether to replace the current object or not
1 Like

On a Mac you can achieve those steps with Keyboard Maestro. It’s a bit tricky though - because Bambu Studio isn’t very well set up for external automation - so I have found I need to use images of buttons to press the correct controls.

I have successfully managed to do the following similar steps with KM (from a different application than F360 though):

1. If BS is open on the wrong file - close it and move to step 2 when close complete
  2. If BS is not open then open it on the correct file
  3. Once BS is open on the correct file - then move BS to the correct plate

Personally for Fusion 360 at the moment I use a macro to export one stl per colour ( (which sometimes involves 100s of bodies). (I also have a multipart version too for models with lots of parts I want to print separately)

I then manually import the stls for each colour into Bambu Studio - and then either manually or via a Macro set the STLs to the correct colour.

PS/ I include the virtual extruder number in my STL colour names to make selecting the correct colour fairly straightforward - although as you can see from the error I made on the deck colour of the bow section of this model it isn’t fool proof.

1 Like

I have the same question.

In MacOS, every time I export STL with Fusion360 it is imported to most recent instance of already opened BambuStudio.
But now, I switched to Windows PC, and every time I export F360 file a new instance of BambuStudio is opened and this is anoying.
So the workflow is worst than in MacOS and slower.

Thank you,