Inconsistent first layers

I’m consistently having issues where, in some areas of the bed, the nozzle is definitely the wrong distance from the bed. This is not an adhesion issue. In example 2, you can clearly see the nozzle is too close causing there to be excess material around the blemish.

The areas of the bed it happens in seem to be pretty consistent so I’m thinking either a warped bed or bed mesh issues.

I’ve done all the standard troubleshooting. I’ve manually leveled/trammed the bed. I clean the bed with warm water and dish soap. Still happens.

I feel so helpless to troubleshoot the issue. I’d like to at least be able to see the bed mesh, but I can’t even do that.

I experience the same. Not as badly as @joshkentYT, no holes, more like the last to pictures above. Not to think of printing the pegboard. In some areas the initial squares simply would not adhere, no matter what. As was said above: always in the same areas, so no issue of cleaning or something. I share the analysis above: bad mesh.
And I thought I would be out of the Ender 3 bed leveling problems. My bad.
Disappointing experience. Currently I cannot recommend the printer at its price.

1 Like

I had a similar problem. I cleaned the CF rods till they show no black residue on cleaning cloth. Hths

[https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/general/carbon-rods-clearance](https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/general/carbon-rods-clearance)
2 Likes

@Barryg41 Did it fix the problem? I notice that Bambulab just recently posted a youtube video relating to the procedure you mentioned:

I haven’t noticed the problem myself, but maybe that’s because I’m a new user. Maybe the CF rods wear over time among the heavy users, resulting in the need to remove this kind of ditritus? Or, is it instead residue that should have been removed at the factory, but wasn’t?

2 Likes

To be honest, not really sure what the XY carbon rods would have to do with this issue. If they were the problem, I’d be seeing issues throughout the print, instead of only on the first layer.

Prints are flawless if the first layer manages to get down successfully.

@joshkentYT Is it possible your printbed isn’t actually flat? Flatness is different than out of level. The bedleveling doesn’t collect enouugh test points to compensate for lack of flatness. Here’s a simple test: When you put a stragihtedge across it at various angles, do you see any light coming through underneath it?

1 Like

I just had one first layer that was total ■■■■. I reduced the speed and used the standard temperature and the level was back perfect.

Yes, cleaning the rods helped my first and top layers. I also had some vibration in my hotend when moving fast which was causing ghosting. It fixed my problems. Still using BL presets for pla, abs and petg.

3 Likes

1 Like

@poli1979 That looks terrible. The worst I’ve ever seen on any 3D printer.