Introducing Bambu PVA

This water-soluble material provides precise support for printed parts in complex structures, ensuring smooth and uniform support contact surfaces for perfect model appearance. Bambu PVA support material can be effortlessly dissolved, eliminating the hassle of manual cleaning.

Check it out in our store

9 Likes

Can this be used as a support interface so that the print will be faster?

1 Like

I imagine so… Just ordered a roll to test. This should come in handy for complicated prints. Excited.

It’s quite a bit more expensive than eSun PVA. I have one of those but am yet to test it - in particular, how the AMS will cope with it.

I have used it in my AMS. It comes up with a warning about moisture and to ensure it is dry, or it may cause issues. I wonder if the Bambu version, (which is likely from another manufacturer anyway) will come up with the same warning when loaded in the AMS.

Just loaded it today, it doesn’t recognize it in the AMS for me, there is no PVA listed in the Bambu Mfr Filaments. For now I had to put it in as Generic. It is in the latest version of Bambu Slicer. Guessing there will be a firmware update soon for the printer to add it to the list of filaments?

Did you try it from the device tab in Bambu Studio or directly on the touch screen? I recall when they added PLA Glow I couldn’t select it in the AMS at first, but after a while I could (with no firmware upgrade inbetween IIRC). I probably did something differently but I’m not sure what. Perhaps I just did a PA calibration.

I did it from the Touch Screen, I will try it from Studio later today just to confirm.

Really excited to try out this. Been hoping Bambu were going to release their own PVA filament :slight_smile:

I am looking forward to your experiences. Please share :slight_smile:

Can the BBL PVA filament also be used, effectively, as a bed adhesive to keep ABS prints from warping? If so, then that would be a nice trick if it can then later be dissolved in water down to nothing at all.

1 Like

I wouldn’t bet on that, they only list PLA & PETG. You can use HIPS for that and dissolve with limonene.

1 Like

Tried it from Bambu Studio, you can select Bambu PVA but it won’t save. Only option that sticks is Generic PVA

Any news about using it as a support interface only?

I tried PVA before and it is NOT the easiest to deal with…
VERY hygroscopic and NOT happy in the AMS as it is also rather tacky compared to PLA and such.
If you used your machine a lot and struggle with PVA consider replacing those teflon tubes before wasting a lot of time messing with the settings :wink:

The biggest downside for me in Bambu Studio was the total lack of options to properly use PVA for the supports or just the interference layer.
For obvious reasons I expected to be able to get a SMOOTH mating surface…
After checking all those support settings I created a simple two part model in CAD.
An upside down open box with a matching cube inside to ‘hold’ the ceiling.
I modelled it so there is just one layer for the PVA and so that this layer was level with the ceiling.
Came out perfectly but reminded me that I shall include ways for the water to reach the interference layer - a solid box was not ideal here LOL

The current slicer versions all allow for various setting for the top surface of the interference layer.
With that it is now MUCH easier to get things with PVA right :wink:
Simply create a quick test model that has a good sized FLAT support area.
3 interface layers in rectilinear seem to work best.
You want the infill spacing to result in the smoothest possible surface.
Just make sure to set a pause in the slicer for when the top interference layer is done.
Please do make sure that there is still a gap between the lines as otherwise it can be hard to dissolve the PVA.
Adding a drop of dishwashing liquid can make a huge difference …

2 Likes

Expensive filament to purge most of it away. Only really makes sense where you can have a dedicated tool for it. Makes me wonder if there’s a new printer coming which can deliver that.

Wow, that’s so cool! I’m really excited to get my hands on this someday.

Not sure if it’s a different material, but for compare/contrast these guys are claiming that their water dissolvable support filament can support:

• PLA, ABS, ASA, PETG, Nylons, and flexible filaments like TPC, TPU, and COPE.

Do you think it’s the same, or something different?

Ouch, price wise… 90 to 170 USD per 500g spool… and it’s a 2,85 mm diameter filament.