LAN only mode is terrible - this is what Bambu Lab should do about it

I can confirm that BambuStudio Version 1.7.7.89 works in LAN Only mode at least for my configuration as listed below.

Configuration Tested
Slicer: Version 1.7.7.89
Printer: X1C with AMS
Printer Firmware 01.06.05.01

Strange?
My versions:
Studio: 1.7.7.89
Printer: X1C with AMS
Printer firmware: 01.06.05.01

At first it seems that the Printer and Studio are “talking”.

1. Open Bambu Studio
  2. Select the Device Tab
  3. The printer box is initially empty (says "No Printer) but click on it and it shows my printer on a Drop-Down.
  4. Select it and the printer gives a “deep sigh” (my expression!) and Studio updates as in image below.

Bambu Studio

But when I select “Print Plate”, I get this:

Imputing the IP & Access Code, makes no improvement.

Would you mind, just checking that you can send a file to the printer or possible suggest what might be different between our two machines (apart from the OS)?

Best regards, M.

Very odd. The fact that the wifi signal turned green and it populated the printer info (I’m assuming its correct) means the the slicer was able to initially communicate with the printer. If the access code was incorrect it would never have gotten that far.

One thing to check is on the “Send Print Job” page. Check to make sure your printer is correctly listed, it does not hurt to hit refresh. In some cases Ive seen that after reconnecting to a printer that the “Send Print Job” page does not correctly pick up the new printer. Usually a refresh fixes the problem. (see graphic attached)

Also check to ensure you are using the right printer profile on the Prepare page.

Once you have gotten the error message can you still see the printer under the device page? A simple test might be to try and turn the lamp on or move the print head. This might help determine if its just in the send print connection or is related to all traffic to the printer.

Thank you for your “Send print job to” screenshot. It SOLVED my problem!!!

I needed to insert a SD Card!

Thanks for all your help. M.

Glad to hear it …

Yet another “LAN Only” requirement that is to the best of my knowledge not documented anywhere, although I suppose in hind site its probably a bit obvious.

Happy Printing …

Yet another Bambu “LAN Only” idiosyncrasy? :disappointed_relieved:
Does your setup ask for the “Access Code” every time you re-connect to the printer?

This is not my first, second, third, etc etc 3D printer and yet it is the first that required me to register for a cloud account to even purchase a machine, let alone use it. Support assured me that I could use the printer on my network WITHOUT A CLOUD ACCOUNT using lan only mode. I checked before ordering. They were incorrect (I am being polite).

So far, not only could I not even buy the machine without said account, I can not get to lan only mode because in order to get to that switch, you have to bind your printer to said account in order to get it connected to wifi which then, and only then, displays the switch to lan only mode.

To add insult to injury, as far as I can tell, unless you go through all that and use the cloud account at least until you can turn on lan only mode, this nice AMS unit is a paperweight. There is no way to tell the printer, when using an SD card, what AMS slot to use, it always uses slot 1.

I wonder what their sales would be like if they told potential customers all of this BEFORE they bought the thing?

If I am wrong here, tell me, I would LOVE to be wrong. PLEASE let me be wrong. But repeated conversations with various support people who seem to have no idea how their stuff actually works (I had to send screenshots to show the one guy that you had to register for an account to buy something on the website, he had no idea), seems to indicate they are heck bent on getting you on to their cloud one way or another.

Unfortunately most printer co.panies are going closed source.
There are still open source yes but alot are steering away from it.

I am curious of your statement regarding having to register for a cloud account to even purchase a machine (assuming printer). I did not have to nor have I heard of anybody else having to. Interesting situation if that is a requirement?

Maybe it is different in different parts of the world but here was my experience… This was in Chrome, I just checked it in Chrome, Edge, and Firefox again and the behavior was the same.

I always like to go back and let people know if I get a solution so here I am. My support rep finally got a good solution and apologized for the delay. So here we go…

If you do not want to tie your printer to a cloud account at all, but still want the network functionality and to be able to use your AMS, you need to switch to Lan Only Mode (duh). The problem is, until you connect to your wifi, you CAN’T switch to Lan Only Mode, and the only way the docs say, at least that I could find, to connect to wifi is to use the Bambu Handy app and connect to a cloud account and “bind” your printer to that. But there is another way…

Shows how you can easily create (or download and modify) a two-line text file to put on your SD card which you edit with any text editor to replace the wifi SSID and password with your own. You then put the card into your printer and reboot it. Now you should be connected to your wifi and can turn on Lan Only Mode.

I can confirm this worked for me and allowed me to connect my printer to Orca Slicer, control the printer, see video, etc. I’ll update if I find anything that doesn’t work as expected.

For now, I wish this info was easier to obtain and that they didn’t force account creation when purchasing (its ok, fake info worked) but overall, problem solved and I am happy with the product.

5 Likes

Thank you for this information.
And I totally agree that it should be easily accessible and not burried in some Wiki.

some excellent perseverance and thanks for the share!

Yes. BL needs some coding help. Ther are a lot of people in the 3D printing world that can solve a lot of their issues rather quickly.