LAN Only Mode

I am sure that I read somewhere that a recent update allowed the printer to connect to Bambu Studio with full functionality when i LAN only mode, but not sure where.

I really don’t like the fact that all my prints and camera feed are being sent via a server on the cloud, for obvious reasons, and I see no technical reason why Bambu Studio cannot communicate with a printer on the local LAN without having to connect to a server in China.

This is really starting to frustrate me and despite the fact that the printer is really fantastic otherwise, this issue is beginning to make me believe that Bambu labs are actually monitoring / watching everything that my printer does.

Surely ‘LAN ONLY’ means just that, all functionality and communications is limited to LAN and it would not be possible to view your printer when not connected to your LAN ???

17 Likes

Have you tried switching the printer to LAN only and connecting to it? Yes, LAN only means no connection to the cloud. You would need to switch it back to get firmware updates. There are plenty of people who use LAN only. I don’t because I am not printing super-secret things that I am worried someone might see. And since the camera can’t see outside the printer, I am not worried about that either. I doubt there is anything that they could do with any data they get from the printer to harm me, but maybe they can use the data to make it better.

3 Likes

@vincentw56 - thanks, yes I enabled LAN only mode yesterday and was warned that neither Bambu Studio nor Handy App would work, hence the original post

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just enable LAN mode and have lost all connectivity.

I also saw on REDDIT that the camera will only work when NOT in LAN mode, but as of now I have no connectivity in LAN mode :slight_smile:

The display shows an access code, but no qr code, I tried re-pairing but it could not find it I then found an online site that generates QR code and entered the access code there, but the app would not recognise it so there must be some other text in the QR code other than just the access code.

The Handy App only allows you to scan a QR code which cannot be displayed on the X1, there appears to be no place to enter the “Access Code”

2 Likes

This does need improvement ASAP.

I have been using LAN mode since day one, hell no depending on cloud stuff. I have zero trust policy in my home network, nothing is allowed to call home for security reasons.

It is not about I am printing ultra secret prints, it is about there is no need for my printer to use internet when there is a fast local network right there.

After the last firmware update, you must restart the printer or the FTP won’t work.

On the same note, you have no access to the camera in LAN mode, well, it is isn’t a RTSP camera anyways but an USB camera that requires the printer to authenticate with the cloud in order to grant you access.
I have been using a wireless network camera via RTSP to check on the printer so that doesn’t bother me.

BambuLab goal with these printers was to allow users to print from anywhere so now you have users leaving their printers alone printing which is an a wish for disaster. Because they can use the app to access the printer, that is all that matters to them.

Imagine that thing catching on fire with nobody at home??? You are toasted.

I won’t get to the fact that in LAN mode it cannot download firmware update. I mean, a local LAN with internet and all but nope, you must disable it for the printer to download new firmware.
I have so many questions…

7 Likes

I cannot even connect to my printer in LAN mode, it is listed in the Handy App as an “Unbnid Device” but when I click onto it & click confirm to bind, it just hangs forever saying “Binding…”

I have also managed to decode the QR Code used for binding, but using that also makes no difference and it’s unable to bind in LAN mode.

1 Like

It won’t work.

atm LAN mode means no communications whatsoever via Handy and BambuStudio, period.
In order to send files to the printer, I use a FTP GUI client or terminal since I am on Linux and voila.
Download, upload, delete files from it.
Left is my PC, right is the microSD card attached to the printer.

I am unaware of a way to set the printer to LAN mode AND be able to use Handy, Studio and camera feed. Big no.

1 Like

@Hakuna.Matata - so FTP port 21 is open ?

Updated.

Ooh yes it is:

% telnet 192.168.0.100 21
Trying 192.168.0.100...
Connected to 192.168.0.100.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 (vsFTPd 3.0.3)

Also have some other open ports:

PORT     STATE    SERVICE
0/tcp    filtered unknown
21/tcp   open     ftp
1883/tcp open     mqtt
3000/tcp open     ppp

Interesting that MQTT is open :slight_smile:

1 Like

Via terminal it works fine but when using a GUI client, you will need to enable TLS or it will fail.
In case you don’t know, the username is bblp and the password the printer shows.

5 Likes

Yep, MQTT is how I monitor mine but this is another 500 apart lmao

1 Like

OK, I see you’re using Home Assistant, me too.

But where do I get the password ?

OK, got it, I am using OSX / Mountain Duck and now have the files in OSX Finder

Would you mind sharing your MQTT setup / Config, either here or via PM ?

OK, figured that out too, am connected now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Windows Studio starts prints and monitors status of Lan-only mode printers. Annoyingly the camera doesn’t work and there is no way to update firmware in lan-only mode.

1 Like

Yes, eventually Bambu Studio prompted me for the passkey and I can upload files & control it, but no camera.

I have now removed the camera and tested it, it is (as mentioned above) just a USB camera and I will use a pi-zero to stream it instead and connect to WAN whenever there is a new firmware released.

2 Likes

Another reason to get rid of the cloud, I was trying to print the other day and the cloud was not responding or was very slow.

I see no technical reason at all why the camera could not be activated when in LAN mode, it does make me think that they are trying to discourage LAN Only mode and by not enabling the camera believe that the majority of users will continue to send everything via the cloud.

I removed the camera, hooked it up to a PI and using MJPG-Streamer had it streaming to the LAN with very little effort.

I also think it would be trivial for the servers receiving the files / streams / mqtt data to monitor what is being done.

2 Likes

Does anybody know what the menu sequence is on the P1P to enable LAN Only ?

2 Likes

I just got an email the other day updating their terms of service claiming they won’t do that. And how many times have companies said that only to later find out they are. Or after some time, they pull a Facebook and change the terms again allowing them to look at all your stuff you have uploaded in the past and not give you a way to delete the data before the change takes place.

2 Likes

LAN mode is currently not available on the P1P.

1 Like

Thanks so much, appreciate your response, but this is a real problem for me.

I have a X1 here at home, and I have a P1P in a remote location, we are connected together using a high speed wireguard VPN.

I cannot access the P1P camera feed and monitor the remote printing from my home, in fact the camera feed is intermittent even when someone at the remote connection uses the Handy App to view the camera.

I understand from Rocky Chen that LAN mode on the P1P exposes port 6000 and that would allow me to connect to the camera using a web browser and be able to remotely monitor the printing progress.

https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/general/printer-network-ports

So is LAN mode on the P1P going to be available really soon so that I can remotely monitor the printing progress ?

1 Like