LAN Only Mode

This lan mode is an absurd…no logical explanation that explains why we cant have everything workin on lan mode….with app…They just dont want us to.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure this is a non-engineer decision to force you to use the cloud. The only reason that makes sense to me.

1 Like

Marketing decision no doubt, things that would sound cool / useful to those users who are not network savvy, and who don’t understand that vpns and NAT can provide all of the functionality of the ‘open insecure cloud’ in a closed, personal secure cloud.

For a new startup they are doing quite good, but the real power lies with the community, who can achieve so much more, at not cost, and in much less time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would REALLY like to hear why video stream is not possible when in LAN mode, we all know that it’s not related to technical constraints.

Thinking some more on this, I think that there primary focus has been spot on, create a 3D printer that is as easy to use as a domestic inkjet printer and they have achieved that.

Trouble is in this price range, probably 80% of the customer base will be experienced makers who have had several printers before and are looking for a quantum leap in reliability and repeatability, and are not attracted by gimmicks that make for great advertising - “print from anywhere using your phone”.

As we all know, quite often printing is the easy part, it’s the creating part that has a very steep learning curve, unless you only want to just print other peoples designs from Thingverse / Printables etc

oh yes, and printing in LAN mode does not mean that I am printing “Super Secret Things” it just means that whatever I print or say or do, should not be published to a server for someone to decide what to do with it, because it’s personal, it belongs to me and I have chosen not to publish every detail of it to the cloud.

My printer is 5 meters away from me, I see no reason why I have to send the files from my laptop to a sever China and back again from that sever to my printer a few meters away when I can do it directly in a fraction of the time.

that choice for privacy seems to be disappearing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That seems to include Bambu Labs. If I remember correctly, they had a really bad network security problem when they first started and after it was pointed out, corrected. They made a post about it that basiclly said they didn’t really think about security at first.

i’ve been following the p1p/x1 bambu thread on the homeassistant forum, theres been a lot of activity on it over the last few days, the summary is that the p1p has such a small cut down mqtt service it can’t be used for much, it seems to rely on the studio app to do the heavy lift on status.

MQTT is just a messaging system. It always requires clients to do the actual work.

2 Likes

yep, but the thread over on homeassistant implied the p1p relies on the handy/studio to do the majority of work and the p1p wasnt capable of supporting the same mqtt services that the x1 can do, if i read the thread right the focus was getting info and controlling the x1 directly but the p1p needed to be controlled via the app due to the processing limitations of the p1p controller.

1 Like

I’d be happy if we just had documentation we could use to extend functionality ourselves. So far it’s been a bunch of reverse engineering, which means there are no guarantees it will continue to function. Documentation and a commitment for backwards compatibility shouldn’t be a tall order and would do tons for power user community goodwill.

1 Like

New firmware just released for the P1P that allows connection to camera via IP address, but it has some bugs and you can’t enter a hostname which is what I really need.

I would like them to just add LAN only mode with all the functionality of the cloud. Not having this feature is totally ridiculous. I don’t use the camera much in studio, as I installed my own IP camera that I use within Blue Iris.

1 Like

Yep, I think we all want that :slight_smile:

So glad I ran into this thread… I personally only want my printer on my LAN or even better on my iot network. Until the cam issue and the crippling of bambu studio in this regard is fixed… I think im gonna hold off on my purchase… Would also like to see some revisions done regarding the mainboard cooler and the AMS connector that is difficult to disconnect. Once those are ironed out… TAKE MY MONEY!

2 Likes

“AMS connector that is difficult to disconnect.” Why you want to disconnect the AMS ?
If you are referring to disconnecting because of switching to external spool that isn’t needed anymore.
(there are two small things to be printed that help a lot to do it, if really needed - Printables)

1 Like

When maintenance is needed on the printer, the top cover my need to be removed to access parts of the printer. If your AMS is on top, it needs to be removed. Have the release tab between the connector and back panel is a very bad design. But I seem to remember someone mentioning that new models have turned this plug around to make it easier to unplug.

I noticed on the picture for the 4 port AMS hub, the plugs are in the correct orientation. I my just purchase one now for that since I do plan on getting more AMS units.

1 Like

Yes bad design so is having to use a tool to release the tube from the buffer, but, a tool design to do both jobs is available and takes 10 minutes to print.

I disconnect the cable at the AMS end anyway so tube disconnection is more hassle.

1 Like

@edlboston Understand. Since my AMS sits on the right side of the X1C (and not on top) never thought about that maintainance thing. But anyhow, if you print that “thing” it is super easy.

Is it the printer access code for the password?

1 Like