LAN Only Mode

The only recurring issue I have with this printer in 3 months I’ve owned it is that I can’t access the camera without using the cloud.

Just give me my camera access over LAN -_-.

I have camera access over LAN on my P1P. I run on a network with no internet access.

2 Likes

I just checked and on X1C i get the “Not supported with LAN-only mode”. Why would this be available on their budget product but not the flagship ?

Might be the cheap camera of the P1P is actually an RTSP camera. Would make it easy to catch the video feed then.

1 Like

If you really want to see LAN mode fixed.

4 Likes

Thanks to user_33… I also now have LAN only mode on my P1P.
https://forum.bambulab.com/t/lan-only-mode-is-terrible-this-is-what-bambu-lab-should-do-about-it/8067/12

Day 2 of my X1C, what an amazing printer. Well, except for LAN mode. Nice that they have now made it work with Studio. Except for the camera. That’s really annoying, I like to monitor progress remotely. Oh, and I had to switch to LAN mode because a print job consistently failed to download to the printer via their server. It’s a 20Mb file. I do expect them to be as responsive to this as they have been to everything else. Again, all kudos to Bambu, outstanding engineering. Hard to explain the joy of being able to do a PETG print with no stringing, no blobbing, no fiddling, just push the button and go. (Hatchbox PETG using the generic profile, first print just worked).

Yep same here! Great printer but as soon as I discovered LAN mode and MQTT I was hooked. I am a geek on smarthome with NodeRED :wink:
However first try with MQTT Explorer does not give any connection: neither on port 1883 or 8883. Not sure whether I need certificates etc.
Can someone summarize a working MQTT connection for the X1C which is working with the latest firmware?
When trying to connect I get this strange message:

@gus

I don’t know if you noticed, but I got BL tech support to fix my user name so now it shows julie777

I couldn’t connect with MQTT-Explorer either. P1P in my case. MQTTX did the trick but only with MQTT version 3.1.1

1 Like

Did you try turning off certificate validation? I have a feeling that might be it (not by my X1C to confirm right now)

1 Like

I can confirm that switching off certificate validation and using port 8883 gives a MQTT connection! :grinning:

Actually these even works in normal “cloud” mode :hushed:

1 Like

Excellent to know, although awkward that the SSL validation fails in some apps.

actually there is second trick to this setup. Just by sneaking around the BL Studio files on my Mac I found a CA certificate slicer_base.cer which I injected in my MQTT clients (MQTT Explorer and NodeRed). With this the connection is accepted by the printer.

Looking at the BL Studio log files it appears that BL is using MQTT for their cloud controlling anyway. The printer MQTT client reports to a BL MQTT server somewhere in China :wink:

Great sleuthing! Useful information.

This could be a way to support the Bambu Lap printers by third party software, for example in OctoPrint. Maybe a plugin, that uses FTP and MQTT to transfer and communicate with the printer. :thinking:

yes, but only passive as MQTT is just a simple message transfer. And passive monitoring (without video) is already possible in LAN mode with BL Studio

I have been doing testing MQTT on my LAN bypassing security. Thanks for the info!

Using my MQTT test app is how I found out that the printer can respond almost instantly with status. The reason the Bambu Studio times out before every print is their closed source dll intentionally doesn’t stay connected. (They claim it is because of cost for the cloud, but I am using LAN only)

1 Like

I see the last response here was over a month ago… Just got my P1P yesterday and I’m struggling to bind the printer to my phone or mac. Get a DHCP error code after a loading wheel that spins forever in the app. It will display the pairing code on the phone and printer but then nothing happens.

I’m guessing switching the printer to LAN only is the only way to fix this? Can someone advise? Would love to be able to create & print things other than the pre-downloaded items on the printer lol

The first thing required is to add your printer to the Wifi network and to your BBL account. You cannot set it to LAN only until that is done.

You must use the Handy app by scanning the bar code on the printer. Handy will then use bluetooth to talk to the printer and get it connected to your WiFi.

Only after that is done can you use LAN only.

It sounds like you do not need the LAN only option. You are just at the very beginning where you need to use HANDY.

1 Like