LAN Only Mode

Here’s another reason for LAN mode that has NOTHING whatsoever to do with security and everything to do with fall-back: The increasing number of natural disasters we’re suffering from in the U.S. and the rest of the world mean that internet access is frequently down for long-ish periods of time. I’ve been up and down for multiple days over the last 4 weeks, for example, due to a series of bad winter storms that have literally ripped the comcast cables right off the housse due to trees falling on the lines or mudslides doing the same. Satellite internet is a reasonable backup, but only if you’re in the right physical locations. For power, we have generators and battery backups. For internet, nothing much!

Therefore, in summary, talking directly to the printer is not some “nice to have” if you want to keep printing and keeping your spirits up when storms have just taken out all of the roads, power lines and internet connectivity but you do have plenty of gas (or solar or batteries) and enough surplus power to at least do something fun and creative. UNLESS of course your printer makes this really hard. :slight_smile:

1 Like

LAN Mode is a must have for business purpose. We don’t have open internet access in our students LAN. Proxy support is also missing.

2 Likes

Another morning of no prints, this is really winding me up now.

Prints that take 2 minutes to travel from my laptop to my printer 3 meters away, prints that are sent to the cloud and simply disappear, login account offline / website down.

And there is not 1 comment from bambu labs about this issue and necessity to provide full functionality in LAN only mode.

Cmon we have been patient and asking for this for 3 months - Bambu Labs - why dont we have full functionality LAN mode ??

Is it because you want to view / steal our designs and see what we are printing, because from a technical point of view, LAN printing is much simpler than WAN printing so all I can think of is there is some other hidden agenda to force users to keep sending prints halfway around the world, when they only need to be sent 3 meters.

1 Like

For the first time since i got my X1CC (10/2022). Not counting firmware updates. I had to log in again. Put in my credentials and off i was to printing again. :+1:

1 Like

No No No, No - I do NOT want you to store my personal data on you servers in China, I do not agree to this and I want my data to be kept within MY LAN and I do not want to print / view or do anything else across the cloud.

:rage:
:rage:

3 Likes

The only recurring issue I have with this printer in 3 months I’ve owned it is that I can’t access the camera without using the cloud.

Just give me my camera access over LAN -_-.

I have camera access over LAN on my P1P. I run on a network with no internet access.

2 Likes

I just checked and on X1C i get the “Not supported with LAN-only mode”. Why would this be available on their budget product but not the flagship ?

Might be the cheap camera of the P1P is actually an RTSP camera. Would make it easy to catch the video feed then.

1 Like

If you really want to see LAN mode fixed.

4 Likes

Thanks to user_33… I also now have LAN only mode on my P1P.
https://forum.bambulab.com/t/lan-only-mode-is-terrible-this-is-what-bambu-lab-should-do-about-it/8067/12

Day 2 of my X1C, what an amazing printer. Well, except for LAN mode. Nice that they have now made it work with Studio. Except for the camera. That’s really annoying, I like to monitor progress remotely. Oh, and I had to switch to LAN mode because a print job consistently failed to download to the printer via their server. It’s a 20Mb file. I do expect them to be as responsive to this as they have been to everything else. Again, all kudos to Bambu, outstanding engineering. Hard to explain the joy of being able to do a PETG print with no stringing, no blobbing, no fiddling, just push the button and go. (Hatchbox PETG using the generic profile, first print just worked).

Yep same here! Great printer but as soon as I discovered LAN mode and MQTT I was hooked. I am a geek on smarthome with NodeRED :wink:
However first try with MQTT Explorer does not give any connection: neither on port 1883 or 8883. Not sure whether I need certificates etc.
Can someone summarize a working MQTT connection for the X1C which is working with the latest firmware?
When trying to connect I get this strange message:

@gus

I don’t know if you noticed, but I got BL tech support to fix my user name so now it shows julie777

I couldn’t connect with MQTT-Explorer either. P1P in my case. MQTTX did the trick but only with MQTT version 3.1.1

1 Like

Did you try turning off certificate validation? I have a feeling that might be it (not by my X1C to confirm right now)

1 Like

I can confirm that switching off certificate validation and using port 8883 gives a MQTT connection! :grinning:

Actually these even works in normal “cloud” mode :hushed:

1 Like

Excellent to know, although awkward that the SSL validation fails in some apps.

actually there is second trick to this setup. Just by sneaking around the BL Studio files on my Mac I found a CA certificate slicer_base.cer which I injected in my MQTT clients (MQTT Explorer and NodeRed). With this the connection is accepted by the printer.

Looking at the BL Studio log files it appears that BL is using MQTT for their cloud controlling anyway. The printer MQTT client reports to a BL MQTT server somewhere in China :wink:

Great sleuthing! Useful information.