Layer line around the outside

Hi all,

First time posting here… and also very new to printing. Had my P1S only for about 3 weeks. Loving it and everything is coming out great.

The only issue that i am having is, im getting this layer line coming out the side of this print. Its a lid to a box i have designed. The bottom of the box is not getting it… just the lid.

I have run the calibrations (did fix the rippling inside as per the pic) but not this line.

Is there something that i should try next? All the settings are pretty much set at default.

Thanks all.

Yeah I’m also having something similar. I’ll be following this thread.

Hi… was there any thoughts on this one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Analyse the line types in the Bambu slicer to see what they are. You may also be able to recognise this line at the outside.

1 Like

I have checked at that layer in bambu studio and the inner part (the flat surface in side the box) is internal solid infill whilst the walls are just walls. So i dont think it has anything to do with that.

Also the line does not appear on the slicer. I dont believe its from the design.

Im sure its something from the print process i might need to change.

is there a link to the model so that you can have a look at it?

First time you must prevent warping. I think i can see a little bit warping at corners. Second time you must calibrate the filament correctly. Third time you must check the filament flow rate.

You can see different wall loops at different layer hights, use same wall loops at each layer.

What is the number of wall loops? 3, 4? Increase it by +1 or +2 and see how and whether the result changes. Or reduce the wall loops -1 or -2 (at 2 walls) and show the result.

That would be my suggestion for the first one.

@KanneKaffe - thanks… here is a link to the stl. Microsoft OneDrive

I did run the calibration and the warping in the corners have been fixed… but the next print the lines where still there.

• The wall loops are 2.

Thanks for taking a look.

And dry the filament before calibration.

OK, I saw it. First of all, this thing is too big for me to print. When I print this, the thing warps on my flexible printing plate.This creates compressed layers that come out on the sides. Print the part smaller (a quarter) to see if the problem still exists, please.

You can get these lines without being able to conclude a reason :wink:
Let me take a wild guess here:
This line appears right where the infill of the INSIDE of your lid ends ?

I had this issue a lot with my old printer and kept struggling with a fix for far too long.
When I finally wasted enough time to observe prints I found the cause.
Plastic build up from the first line of the outer perimeter onwards…
Sounds silly I know, but try a small test print and you might find the same issue in your case.
I can see a nice pattern showing on the top layer of your lid’s inside.
This indicates that the extruded filament sagged on the infill lines.
Even with just the standard 4 top layers there should be no spare infill pattern punching through…

Do a complete calibration of flow ratio, temperature and k-factor.
After that observe on a small test cube how the solid layers build up.
If the middle parts comes out perfect but towards the walls you get a build up of filament you have to check flow ratio and k-factor.
You should get still visible lines but you should not feel them.
If there is a ridge along the lines your flow is too high, a gap indicates the flow rate is too low.

Bonus hint for such large parts: Try a 10 to 15% LIGHTNING infill :slight_smile:

1 Like

H, @user_3026326371 - thanks for that.

yes you are correct… its at the same level of where the inside finishes.

Ill run the calibrations again and see.

Just to check on what you mention around calibrations… i have Flow dynamics and flow rate. Is k-factor dynamics? Which is the temp one? Sorry… new to this.

Haha this has been bugging me for a long time - on older printers I had this too. And when I saw this on a print on a Bambu (just visible but still annoying) I already thought this has to be fixable but I had no idea where to look. Most of my prints look so great I didn’t see the reason to really calibrate :roll_eyes:

I had the same issue and. doing all the calibration didn’t seem to help. In the end I found out that it happens where the infill/top layers of the inside ends. A universal fix to that when you are designing your own parts it to add a small chamfer to the problematic area on the inside. Even just as small a 1mm will do the trick!

Try changing Quality>Advanced>Order of Walls to inner/outer/inner.

From the OrcaSlicer tips on this setting:

1 Like

Check out these posts from @JonRaymond. I always get those lines. I just printed a part yesterday on the textured plate, it was a large box with an irregular shape and I knew I would get those lines. All I did was make a 20mm brim with 0 gap from his suggestions and I got the lines only in two places where the box was too close to the corner of the plate so the brim was too narrow.

1 Like

Hi all,

Thank you for all the comments and support.

Ive run the calibration again and made some changes with those suggestions.

Print 1/4 of the lid now to see if the issue comes up.

Ill post results soon.

this issue is mostly due to overflow and also temperature change and speeds, as the layers dont cool at same temperature if the printer is not fully tuned in for flow and cooling you might see some buldging like the image shown

Alright… so print is complete.

This is after a dynamic calbration and using thr flow one i did a couple of days ago.

Changed infill to 10% and lightning. Also changed to inner/outter/inner and 3 walls.

The line is almost gone but still slightly probably ok no i think. Included pics of the rest of it.

What do people think?

Also would chnaging the design also help? If i made the walls thicker?

It is probably a mix of the thin wall and going from a rectangle to a U shape.
I assume you are printing the inner loops first?
This is usually bringing the best results but in some case putting the outer wall down first can reduce these line effects.
Downside is that the dimensional accuracy of the outside might not be 100% but for a lid it should be no problem.

Check the preview for the speed used.
If the open U-shape prints at a different speed than the bottom bit it might also cause some issues.