Layer shift in a 2.5 days print

Hi guys,

I started the following expensive 2.5 days print with my Bambu A1 in “High Quality”.

Now that the model is almost finished, I noticed the following layer shift in the final stages of the print. Does anyone know what the reason for that could be? I use Bambu Silk PLA for this:

Is there a shift in the Purge Tower also…??

yes its with purge tower.

Sorry to hear that.

It does happen, sometimes, nothing can be found to understand why.

It is a shame it happened where it did. It never seems to be somewhere less obvious like in the neck area.

In that case I would say that something bumped the table.
If it wasn’t in the tower, I would say maybe infill, adhesion, or a piece of filament from the purge tower got stuck on the sock/nozzle & dragged into the print.

Like what was posted above, sometimes you’ll never know…it’s part of 3d printing.

1 Like

@lion7718 might be onto it. I was looking at the image and it looks like there’s a problem on the purge tower at about the same height as the defect in the model.

I’m on an X1C and watch filament changes as much as possible because sometimes the little bits extruded but not knocked off completely can get dragged into the print. If the head reverses direction and the cruft gets caught between the head and the model, it can do things even to breaking the model free from the bed.

It looks like there’s a lot of filament changes in that model when it gets to the eyes and on the belly. That ups the risk. If you can print the eyes and belly separately that would be a solution. But if you can’t, you may end up stuck to the printer to make sure you don’t get stray pieces.

Your filament is open air too. If you have high humidity you might want to look at a filament dryer since “wet” filament can string and make pulling bits more likely (if that’s what happened).

IMG_9535

Last week I purchased a new A1 Mini as my third printer. I am having problems of layer shifts with the A1 Mini.

Layer shifts occur with the print in the picture below. I have slowed the print speed, but the problem still occurs. I have another printer which does not have this problem when printing this same part. The print settings in Orca Slicer are the same for both printers.

I have looked online and noticed many complaints of layer shifts with the A1 and A1 mini. Therefore, I am thinking that I might return the Mini to purchase something else.

Since I might return the printer for a refund, I want to check for input from the Bambu community for anyone with experience in dealing with layer shift problems with A1 or A1 Mini.

Thank you,

Don

1. infill pattern different than grid. Gyroid or rectlinear for instance would work better, because these cause no line intersections.
  2. Slightly lower speed for infill, at least on upper region of the model.

Thank you for your help.

I have changed the print speed down to 150mm/s and travel speed down to 300mm/s.

I also changed to Gyroid infill.

These changes did not solve the problem. I continue to have layer shifts on the X axis with this new A1 mini, while the Y axis looks good.

I am concerned about the quality of this new A1 Mini. Should I return it and get a Prusa? If not, how do I fix this problem?

PS: I am new to this forum. Why doesn’t this forum allow me to attach a picture, a link, or allow me to start a new thread?

I have loved mine from the moment I received it, the same with the A1 and P1S.

I suggest you reach out to support.

The reason for this, is…

This.

2 Likes

Thank you. I submitted a support ticket as you suggested.