Less noisy fans

Hi Bambu

You need to put in less noisy fans in the X1 Carbon. It’s like small jet engines and they don’t even push much air.
Fan management would help, so they actually only were activated when needed.
In the meantime, you could create a 24 V to 12 V converter that fits in the cabinet. With such a converter, we could go shopping at Noctua.
I am impressed with the job you have done so far. The industry really needed such a wake-up call, but maybe you are not aware of damage noise do to your health, it is proven noise is bad for you.
It is not for fun, noise walls are build around the infrastructure here in Europe. Where I come from, the government has to buy a lot of houses around an air force airport because the new F35 are noising a lot more than the old F16’s. They don’t do it out of fun.
Sorry for the rant, but I feel I had to explain a little of the European mindset.
With your background in drones, you should have knowledge about propellers.
Keep up the good work and as soon it is solved, I will instantly buy the X1 Carbon.

7 Likes

I don’t think the fans are that noisy. And the DBs are not anywhere near the range to cause damage to your ears. I hardly hear them with the door closed. Much quieter than any of my other 3D printers. If you don’t even have an X1C, then how would you know the fans are too loud?

2 Likes

Less noisy fans move less air. The complaint most people have regards the chamber fan which, at full speed, is quite loud. Many of us just edit the filament profile to run this at 70% even when the bed temp is above 45C (the system profiles run it at 100% in this case.) You can also adjust the speed of the aux fan, though I haven’t found this to be much of an issue.

Noctua fans are quiet for a reason - they move much less air than their noisier competitors.

3 Likes

I printed one of the many versions of a silencer/muffler for the chamber fan and it made a significant difference.

Yet another Bambu X1 exhaust fan muffler by wbphelps | Download free STL model | Printables.com

3 Likes

I am not thinking of damage to the ear. I think of psychologic damage (stress).
Watch this guy, has lowered the noise with 17 dB.
I have been working with fans for over 30 years and I can tell you, this printer will not be allowed anywhere near an office space. Way too loud.

EDIT: Noctua Fan in the Bambu X-1? Chamber & Mainboard Fan Replacement! - YouTube

4 Likes

That’s absolutely not correct in any way. More noise is NOT equal more blow.
An example could be jet engines. Modern commercial jets has way lower noise, than the old from the 70’s and also have way more power.

So people are already tired of the noise.

Well, if this fan drives you crazy, you have other issues. I’ve worked around servers and PCs for over 30 years. I’ve not developed any mental issues from it. Have you ever heard how loud a server room with 100s of machines running at full speed? Much louder than this one little printer. And as I said it is not as loud as any other 3D printer. Again, you don’t have one, so you are just making assumptions about something that isn’t even an issue.

1 Like

@gvviking where are you trying to link to MandicReally YouTube channel? He has put a lot of time and effort into trying to make his X1C quieter.

1 Like

Forgot to link, sry

1 Like

I am simply researching if I should buy one. Take a look around YT, it’s probably number one complaint.

Here is one more: 10 Things I Love and HATE about my Bambu Lab X1 Carbon! - YouTube

1 Like

Yes it’s the chief complaint is sound, even with the door shut.
It much louder than my Ender 3 max. I haven’t’t heard my Mercury run for over a year while I’ve been converting it but I’m pretty sure it’s quieter too…

1 Like

muffler helped a lot Its a cheap and easy fix. But I agree at this price point they should be using quiter fans. https://www.printables.com/model/324902-bambu-x1-exhaust-muffler-fan-silencer

Yesterday, I saw a video, with a disassembled MB fan. There were no bearing in the fan.

I have 2 Ender 3S1 Pro’s in my office and I can be on zoom calls all day long. When I added the X1C I have to leave the room to make calls. It’s much much louder than both my other printers together when the fans are on

Based on the reviews I actually expected the X1C to be way louder than it now actually is, at least in my perception.

Could it be more silent or should get a slower Ninja-mode? Definitely.

But I, as well, do not see the need to crank the chamber fan way up to 100% and having it sit on a damper plate combined with one of the mufflers got rid of so many resonances/reflections, being able to have this thing running next to me on home office days with no issues for me concentrating or complaints in calls.

I find my FlashForge way more noisier and annoying overall in comparison. But also simply based on the beast performance of the X1C did not expect an ASMR or Zen-like experience like e.g. with my Artillery Sidewinder to begin with.

1 Like