Linux build for the Bambu Lab Studio

Right now, Bambu Lab Studio is only available for Windows and macOS.

However, the underlying software is the Prusa Slicer, which is already compatible with Linux.
Additionnaly, some users have been able to - somehow - generate some Linux builds (see this github issue : https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio/issues/12)

So just to give some visibility on this topic : it would really be great to be able to use Bambu Lab Studio under Linux. Maybe with some “AppImage”, or whatever (packages per linux distribution, or only a few of the major ones, …).

1 Like

if you run debian based os then you can run a script to install it
so ubuntu should work

i tried it on Archlinux and it partial works with “bottles” ( kinda like whine/proton ) by executing the windows exe file
but it got his own problems as some mayor dependency’s are just missing in linux that windows is using ( wmi )

just keep in mind , it is not that there is a install script that there is support for linux, if it works it would be great , else you can run Wine ( Wine Is No Emulator ) to emulate windows or try the native linux version at own risk.

Well, per the fact that the underlying software (PrusaSlicer) is already running on linux, i would say that it would be a shame to use WINE and the windows binary. Probably not worth investigating, to be honest.

I’m running archlinux and the currently in place AUR package does not work for me (some patches not being correctly applied during build) (of course this is un-official re-packaging, and just a first try - maybe it will improve in the future).

The point was also to point that an officialy published AppImage (or something else) would probably be relevant.

Bambu Lab is currently focused on making Bambu Studio better on our supported Windows and Mac Versions. We are doing what we can to support Linux with limited resources for this. We have made it so you can use the source files to compile and run your own Linux version. Several users are doing this. If users wanted to host their own ‘releases’ for Linux that would be fine. But at this time we have no ETA as to when we will be providing any Linux app packages.

3 Likes

Hi,

Same for me here with a build failure on patch.
Git cloned sources.
I ran a sudo ./BuildLinux.sh -u
(BTW m4 was missing, installed by myself)
then
./BuildLinux.sh -sdi

I keep fighting getting it to build coz I want to be sure to get a slicer running under Linux before to pre-order a X1 Carbon Combo.

I wouldn’t like to give up this project.

Any help appreciated.

TIA,

Sevy.

1 Like

I’m in almost the same situation !

Indeed I run ./BuildLinux.sh -u

So I MUST open an account on github,
and do “apt-get install gh” to launch github.

I haven’t finished the build test yet because there was only 1 GB free on my laptop hard drive. Now I run a backup…

1 Like

Per the informations in the github, it seems a bit easier to generate the AppImage with the “docker” procedure (allowing to have a reproductible build environment, whatever the host OS is).

However i still have segmentation fault when launching the AppImage on my side.
Plus not everything will be working anyway (like the video stream from the camera).

Thanks for the tip docker.
I’ve installed an Ubuntu 22.04 LTS VM to build on a clean and recent environment.

I’m a bit concerned we need to apply patches in a build process on a cloned git branch.
The patches should be applied in the git repo by the dev team, imho (?)

Edit: the patches applied to external dependencies/libs.

Regarding the docker tip you don’t have to install anything by yourself : there is a docker image provided that allows to easily build the appimage (as said, in a reproductible environment).

It is described in the GITHUB issue #12 of the bambu studio project.

Basically you only have to :

1. Checkout the project (git clone https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio)
  2. Launch this command (on my side with docker, the github issue is using podman, but it’s exactly the same) + to be launched in the sub folder in which the “ContainerFile” is)
rm -rf build; docker build . -t bambu-studio  && docker run --rm bambu-studio /bin/bash -c 'tar -c $(find build | grep ubu64.AppImage | head -1)' | tar -xv

(beware, as a small server, it can be quite CPU intensive / quite long)

• in the end i still have some Segmentation Fault when running the AppImage (but it’s working fine for others)
  • i don’t know which patches you are speaking about (code batches are supposedely inside the github code (take proper tag, if you want to build an older version - at this time, the code is updated with the latest modifications = 1.3.0.25)
  • Thank you for your information, I will give a try to the docker env and give you a feedback! I’m a noob with docker but it is a good reason to learn… :slight_smile:

• deps and what I call libs: there is a deps directory under the BambuStudio root dir that contains dependencies.
    It is the build of this part that fails when trying to apply patches.

• In the ~/BambuStudio/deps/build/CMakeFiles/dep_wxWidgets.dir/build.make file, the line #122, the patch is applied with the git command. The build fails here:

@$(CMAKE_COMMAND) -E cmake_echo_color --switch=$(COLOR) --blue --bold --progress-dir=/home/sevy/sources/BambuStudio/deps/build/CMakeFiles --progress-num=$(CMAKE_PROGRESS_7) "Performing patch step for 'dep_wxWidgets'"
cd /home/sevy/sources/BambuStudio/deps/build/dep_wxWidgets-prefix/src/dep_wxWidgets && /usr/bin/git apply --verbose --ignore-space-change --whitespace=fix /home/sevy/sources/BambuStudio/deps/wxWidgets/0001-wxWidget-fix.patch

It may be caused by this bug described there: patch - `git apply --ignore-whitespace` is broken - Stack Overflow

Applying the patch with the patch -p1 <patch file command allows the build to complete.

I use the PruSlicer build doc for Linux for my tests, mainly the “2. Building dependencies” section

It is a bit weird, I have to admit :slight_smile:
But I think I’ve found what is going wrong with the patch problem we encounter.

• About the BambuStudio code, I’ve cloned the default release available connecting to github web repo, click on the green button and copy past the url to the Ubuntu 22.04 CLI. I don’t know the release #.

Again : when using the docker image, you don’t have to care about all this (extra dependencies), as this is already handled inside the docker image itself.

Hello,

I built an appimage with Docker, thanks!

Segfault here, too.
It seems to be in StaticPrintConfigs.cpp :
[2022-11-21 10:34:14.457146] [0x00007fffed493980] [trace] Initializing StaticPrintConfigs

Maybe a config is missing, but it shouldn’t core dump though.

Yes, same here indeed - however, it may be on your side an issue regarding the extra fonts that are needed, check the latest comments in the GITHUB #12 issue https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio/issues/12

(i DO have these fonts on my side (installed at OS level through archlinux AUR package AUR (en) - harmonyos-sans-git), so i think my problem is a different one (happening after the login in my Bambu Lab account is done inside the app))

Still crashing with the fonts.
I will follow the github issues, thanks for your tips and URLs!

Hello,

The GitHub forum for BambuStudio linux port is very active.
https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio/issues/12

There is now a first AppImage beta version here :
https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio/issues/12#issuecomment-1361282577

So I’ll buy the X1Carbon a next month…

Have a nice day !

F. from France

Waiting if it has good Linux support to buy

I use it daily under Ubuntu 22.04 and I have no problems

1 Like

Used daily here too. The app image just needs to be set to executable and it works flawlessly so far. Ubuntu 22.04 as well and probably on 23.10 in a day or two.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I have a modded Ender 3 (V1) and purchased a Ender 5 S1, hoping for wonderful things. It printed decent, until I went to larger prints and found out the bed leveling is borked in the firmware and even manual leveling kept having lift off. Sent it back and bought a P1S. Wow. It is indeed amazing. No failed prints yet.

1 Like

Thanks for answering! @Myzhar and @psychoelf
I’m going to try Debian Testing and Fedora if it at least runs the application well.
I honestly really like the reputation this brand has and how well people have spoken to me about it. On my work and personal computers everything is Linux (some Macs too) and I couldn’t find a download link from the web for that system