Lithophane - Issues with Image

Recently received P1S and AMS combo unit to add to my Elegoo Neptune 3 max and 7 year old Prusa Mk2.5S, I must say the P1S and AMS have taken 3D printing to another level. After gaining confidence with the P1S I decided to buy the CMYK filament kit and LED panels to make some Lithophane images.

I seem to be having issues with the image created by the lithophanemaker.com website, images are being shown with additional/different colouring - see attached image:

As you can see the “show expected image” has blue colour tinting where it should be black/grey, I have used the standard settings recommended in the Bambu Lab Wiki. I checked the jpg image in Affinity Photo to see if any blue colour or tinting was evident, nothing to see. I tried to modify the jpg image to eradicate the blue colouring being shown in “show expected image”, the only success was modifying the white balance but this then created yellow patches on the white areas, therefore no luck with modifying the jpg image. I decided to print the Lithophane to test and the result was:

As expected the print came out with the blue areas instead of black/grey.

As I don’t have a Facebook account to access the lithophanemaker.com group I contact the site direct for help but so far nothing has been forthcoming, only an automated reply to contact the Facebook group.

Further research on this subject identified a user on Printables who created the Lithophane prints shown on the Bambu Lab store for the CMYK filament kit. The user mentions that he had to create a better algorithm to adjust the colour levels, however no mention of where this has been added or is available?

My questions are: is anyone else having these problems, if so what is the procedure/process to success? Are there any editing programs to take the group of stl files and correct the colouring?

Any guidance would be appreciated as I seem to have reached a dead end.

Rob

I have the same issue, did you ever find a fix?

I managed to get in contact with the author of the software used to generate the colour Lithophane. He informed that the algorithm requires fixing, however no confirmation on whether the issue is fixable or when it would be corrected.

I therefore abandoned Lithophanemaker.com for colour lithophanes, I now use PIXEstL for generating colour lithophanes and get good results with this tool, I highly recommend this software.

Link please to “PIXEstL” thank you.

1 Like

Thanks, but will not run on a macbook. Thats a shame

HueForge does Litho’s too, and is Mac compatible

HueForge

It does run on macOS, you have to run the batch file through terminal.

From the HueForge website:

“HueForge Won’t
It will not pick colors and layer heights for the most exact representation of the source image (lithophanemaker will do this with is Color Lithophane mode).
If you want to convert a random photograph into an accurate color lithophane, this might not be the tool for you.”

So the litho preset that I use literally all the time doesn’t work? OK Cheers

I would tend to believe the person that wrote the software…

hmmmmm…but you’ve never used it yourself. OK Again Cheers and have a good life

It is a client side Java app - you know, “write once, run anywhere”. You need an appropriate Java runtime available like Oracle Java or OpenJDK then run through terminal.

Scotcob, at 68yrs old I´m past the “batch file” mode… but thanks I will have a look.

I beat you on this one - I’m 69!

I would encourage you to have a go with this software, once you get past the initial learning curve the application is very simple to use and I have been getting some great results.

Latest Lithophane I printed from PIXEstL, really impressed with this:

Printed using 0.2mm nozzle with 8 filaments:
Bambu Lab PLA Basic Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, White and Black
Bambu Lab PLA Matte Ice Blue and Sakura Pink
Overture PLA Light Yellow

Print took 14 hours, size is 108mm x 144mm to fit Bambu Lab 3D printed frame.

1 Like

And another! can’t get over how good this software is

My favourite film, same filament and settings as the previous Lithophane.

2 Likes

Could you share the string you’re using in the .bat file? I have the colors correctly set in the .json file but I’m looking for the best settings to get fine results. I’m using four colors, CMYK.

The settings I used are:

java -jar PIXEstL.jar -p filament-palette-0.10mm.json -cW 0.4 -w 108 -I Car.jpg

I used 8 colours as follows:
Black[PLA Basic], Cyan[PLA Basic], Matte Sakura Pink[PLA Matte], Magenta[PLA Basic], Matte Ice Blue[PLA Matte], Yellow[PLA Basic], Pale yellow[OVERTURE], White[PLA Basic]

Hope this helps, I just love this PIXEstL software.

1 Like