Loosing colors when splitting to parts or objects

Will be nice not to loose the parts colorized when we split to parts or split to objects

2 Likes

Can you give some more details on the issue, I have used split to objects, and I typically don’t lose the colors although I recently had a single colored letter disappear when the model was sliced after a split and assemble. I fixed that by turning the offending letter into a modifier and then back to a part and the letter remained after slicing.
When you split to objects, if you have objects in the model that are above the build plate, they will fall to the build plate. You may be seeing only the tallest object and the other objects are hidden and will need to be raised back up after the parts are re-assembled. I have had that happen to me.

Just open or colorize a multi objects part, then split it, you’ll understand the issue.

What your describing is also really annoying behavior of the slicer, we must have an option to keep the objects in place.

I Loaded the Multicolor AMS simple tests from Maker world and split to objects, I even moved them around but the color remains.

If you use the cut tool to cut a multi color object, then the colors will be lost.
I reported that Back in mid December and there was only a single comment that another person experienced the same thing. That cut tool has been broken for a while (at least with multi color objects) it last worked in version 1.07.07.89.
Orca slicer v 1.9.0 does not have this problem with the cut tool.
Bambu Labs made some big changes to the cut tool in version 1.8.2:
Per the version 1.8.2 release notes:
“The cut tool in Bambu Studio has been upgraded to offer new features, including the Snap connector and dovetail cutting, alongside improvements to the existing flat cutting capability. This enhancement includes code adapted from PrusaSlicer”

1 Like

You have to colorize in several colors your elements, if they only have one color of course they keep it.
I open this colorized model :

Then I split to object:

I loose the colors.
If the object is made of several parts in the slicer (if it’s an assembly) it works, but if you import an object that is not made of parts in the slicer then you split it, the colors are lost.
Here, the frog’s head is made as an assembly (I’ve assembled the parts in the slicer), then I’ve painted the eyes, if now I split to objects it keep the colors.
But the body isn’t an assembly, so if I paint it then split I loose the colors.

1 Like

The other problem, as you described it, is that the slicer destroy the model by placing all parts on the build plate.
So we cannot split an object in the slicer, assemble it then colorize it as the model is broken by the slicer.

Bambu Studio (and derivatives) have big problems with coordinates and objects positioning, hope it will be solved sooner than later.

If you split to parts instead of objects they will stay in place and not be placed on the build plate refer to the Wiki:
https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/software/bambu-studio/split-to-objects-parts

I was able to find a model where the painting will be lost when an object is split to Objects or parts but I had not had that happen on my models before.
Objects that were colored by filament selection did not loose their color like they do with the cut tool.
I agree that the slice needs precise positioning tools, I have had a difficult time trying to position parts where I need them.

Split to parts also screw up models.

Colorized model :

After split to part :

I’ve many models like that one.

When a part of a model is only one color it’s easy, but when a part is multicolor it’s a nightmare.

I was using the cut tool on the orca slicer 2.0 Beta and it would eliminate any colors that I previously had. Based on your post, I uninstalled 2.0 and instead installed 1.9. Unfortunately, if I use the cut tool, I lose all colors. The model reverts to the primary color.

I think it depends on how the model is colored, I was using a model with objects that had different color filaments assigned and with the current Bambu Studio all color assignments are lost. With the older version of Bambu Studio and Orca Slicer 1.90 I am able to cut my model and both parts retain all colors. If I try using Paint then I loose the paint colors but retain the filament colors.

hello, try orca slicer. it doesnt do this.