Maker's Supply Creator Incentive!

Alright alright

The past week we’ve debated the positive’s & negatives of the latest “Boost” reward implementation.

Well if you haven’t seen yet things just got a whole lot better! (honestly, way better!) By the looks of it there will be a “Creator Incentive Program” looks like it was in Alpha and a small few lead designers were apart of it. Now this is talent and true creativity with a VERY generous reward overtime that is.

So here’s a breakdown of key features I noted:

1. Use of BOM within intricate Models will promote sales of parts sold in [Maker’s Supply]*
  • Creators are compensated by [#] of sold parts
  • MW is referring the reward compensation as [Stages 1 & 2]
  1. Stage [1] = 100 x Total Price of Parts in [BOM] when [Downloads + 2xPrints] reach [1,000]
  • Example: [BOM] = $20 - Points received = 100 x 20 = 2,000 Points…

3.Stage [2] = 300 x Total Price of Parts in [BOM] when [Downloads + 2xPrints] reach [2,000]

• Example; [BOM] = $20 - Points received = 100 x 20 = 6,000 Points!

From this info everything seems great and pretty darn fair! Everything will be manually reviewed so timeframes most likely will be unknown for receiving the points but my attitude towards @MakerWorld just flipped back upright!

Not only does this mean you’ll gain followers but everything is rewarded based on a properly done, intricate, innovative and well constructed model!

I’m not saying I’ll hit the ground runnin, but NOW I definitely will be continuing some awesome designs I’ve had in the back pocket I’ve yet to see on any platform. This is a great idea and I’m happy to have a chance to be part of it, NOW THIS IS GAME CHANGING! AND WHAT MAKERWORLD IS ABOUT!!

:clap:t4: :clap:t4: :clap:t4: :clap:t4:

5 Likes

I, on the other hand, fear that it will be something for a few. or at least for those quality designers who have been using graphics software for a long time and who, if they have something complex in mind, know how to create it.
but whoever is behind and has no visibility will always remain behind… because they will not get downloads and will not be able to have visibility.
if the download counts are restored, I’m not saying the points, but the downloads, this problem wouldn’t exist.

3 Likes

I sort of understand where you’re coming from but this is a different category in my eyes set aside from every day run of the mill models that are varying on MW as of now.

This to me allows me to fully create and design through the stages of development a “Model” that people can purchase the components that bring it to life!

It’s like buy a snap circuit set and watching that light bulb light up for the first time or the fan spin! [if you know what this is]

I don’t see builds being modeled in any short matter since it would need very in depth instructions as if it came from a store so everyone could understand and produce a finished product. So I’m hoping to see designs that are truly extraordinary that’ll use motors, gears, and some simple wiring to generate a joyful model.

The 3 builds showcased are GREAT idea’s as what you can build & make and by the looks wouldn’t be that expensive! This is a great fit into S.T.E.M
which is everything in today’s world and what I have my 4 year old doing.

sure, I understand this. but if a project doesn’t have sufficient visibility, I really don’t think there is someone dedicated to sifting through every single file to find brilliant projects. who rightly deserve more for the knowledge and planning time. If you are not in evidence, few will notice you.
without download you won’t be featured
without followers you don’t get featured.
this summed up in two words

for few

One sentence… fraudulent statistics.

3 Likes

Completely agree they’re doing this currently with the front page.

I’ll re-read the article again but I’d like to think that this would be a separate category away from simply model.

I’ll be happy to introduce my first project in the coming weeks since I’ve had this planned and just basically held off buying the components.

Now key features I do see being eyed by the general user downloaders will be

• 2-3 components
  • Under a certain amount of filament & print time
  • Ease of build

No one likes overly complicated instructions but the supply of materials available anyways are very very simple and straight forward. I’ve been doing the crimping, wiring, programming, and engineering myself but at least this will put things into a short description for people on what to do and dang near “Plug n Play”

1 project is a remake of a old childhood toy I wish I had again
1 is a recreation of a local attraction I’ve wanted to replicate

I’m not in this for the sole purpose of points but knowing if I put some in depth thought and process into a project I’ll be compensated well if it’s something people would want for their kids or for themselves even.

A huge selling point is that I’ll be gearing everything towards “STEM” so everything will hold an educational value behind it but can be simply enjoyed by makers as well

Yeah but none of the downloads actually count… :expressionless:

1 Like

How many designs with this many downloads have you published?
Do you think people will download more if they incur additional costs and wait times for delivery? Don’t forget that you also need to order and pay the additional parts in advance.

“1000” is a pretty high hurdle.

People are buying bbl kits. So why wouldn’t they want to buy some “kits” made by talented designers?

3 Likes

This was supposed to come out the same time as the boost update too. A delay in supply pushed it back unfortunately; I think if it all launched at the same time there’d be a little less unhappiness with the points changes. Either way, I loved designing with the components and found it very easy to design and put it to use. I’m hoping to see some great designs coming out from everyone!

4 Likes

I’m waiting for the inevitable Maker Supply Challenge contest. That will be the most legitimate contest we’ll see on MakerWorld because it won’t be filled with regurgitated Printables/Thingiverse/cults designs. We’ll see some great things no doubt.

2 Likes

But there will only be about 10 entries then. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Where is the source of this info? I don’t see any announcement.

Announcing it the same time probably won’t dampen any criticism of the boost system. Not many designers are into making kits.

Those who do may initially praise it, but don’t be surprised by how fast some would turn against it once their models don’t get as many downloads/rewards as those of other designers :slight_smile:

Ah sorry, source is myself, I made a model for the announcement/project.

I saw a lot of users wanting more recognition/rewards for complex projects with the latest MakerWorld update but the incentive program for complex projects using Maker’s Supply was delayed

1 Like

In other words, a programme that pays out rewards. But only from a complicated calculated limit. Namely 1000 and 2000 … something.

So let’s say the first level is 1000 downloads and you get a reward, and let’s say the second level is 2000 downloads and you get an even bigger reward.

I also read something about rewards for complicated models. But it doesn’t apply to models that were complicated to develop (and therefore took a long time). Rather, it applies to models that contain a technical part that Bambulab sells.

Conclusion:

You need to be sure that you achieve at least 1000 [something] with one model. According to the calculation, for example: 30 x download + 485 x 3D print. Or: 500 x download + 250 x 3D print.

Thoughtful:

In other discussions, we have just talked about this and concluded, with agreement and sometimes applause, that Makerworld is not suitable for making money and should not be considered a source of income that reliably generates sufficient earnings.

@ProtoSpyre , you say that you are now regaining courage to continue with Makerworld. In another discussion you said that you no longer want to let your company’s employees create designs for Makerworld as you did in the past (when you sometimes only worked for MW). What strategy do you want to pursue to be sure to overcome the (1000, 2000) hurdles you have set up?

My opinion:

This further measure is aimed at the already selected designers who are likely to overcome the hurdles anyway, due to various things that we know and that others have just mentioned before me.

@ProtoSpyre do you want to compete for the top spots?

Best regards!

2 Likes

Rules:
https://makerworld.com/en/maker-supply

About:

1 Like

I see a few more issues, including cost charge by BL for the components, delivery charges, and availability.

Cost charged
The clock kit for example is £7, for just over twice that I purchased 20 clock mechanisms with hands. Having downloaded a couple of models (including the promoted one) and checked my mechanisms fit, they are the same. The idea that someone wouldn’t jump on Amazon to get more for the same or similar price shouldn’t be lost on people.

Delivery Charges
I’m assuming that BL isn’t going to drop the delivery charges when someone printing one of my hollow clocks and orders a single clock as that’s the only none printed item required. If not that suddenly adds yet another charge an Amazon purchase doesn’t add. This makes the occasional print person less likely to source from BL.

Availability
I’m in the U.K. and we have only just had availability of the boat and clock kits, the charger and coffee thing aren’t available for weeks.

This makes designing for them extremely difficult and then hoping others can get them understandably problematic.

Remaining questions

1. Are the two quantity levels mentioned only reached by a single model or does the cumulative sales generated by say 5 separate designs each bringing in over 200 downloads each qualifying for that first 1,000 share of the profits from the sales they each contributed to?

2. The payout information from the link above doesn’t state anywhere that is an actual requirement for anyone to even purchase anything listed in the BOM.
    2.1. Is this true?
    2.2. This could lead to designs unnecessarily complicated by parts to increase the total BOM and thus the payout. Hopefully, this will also detract from people bothering to download or print such a design.
    2.3. How have they prevented this from being abused?

1 Like

Stage 2 Points Award = 300 x Total price of parts in the BOM (calculated in USD)

:tomato: = :lemon: ?

When the [Downloads + 2xPrints] reaches 2000, we will conduct another review. After ensuring that there are no anomalies, we will calculate Stage 2 Points and award it to the model creator.

For example, if the total price of parts in a model’s BOM is 20 USD, the Stage 1 Points Award would be 100 x 20 = 2000 points, and the Stage 2 Points Award would be 300 x 20 = 6000 points.​ :upside_down_face:

Correction:

Given: 40EUR = 524 Points, If 20USD = 18,68EUR then 244,708 points = 20USD

Unbenannt

For example, if the total price of parts in a model’s BOM is 20 USD, the Stage 1 Points Award would be 100 x 20 = 2000 USD (24471 Points), and the Stage 2 Points Award would be 300 x 20 = 6000 USD (73412 Points).

Why did you include an extra stage in the math?

• Stage 1 Points Award would be 100 x 20 = 2000 USD (24471 Points)
  • Stage 2 Points Award would be 300 x 20 = 6000 USD (73412 Points).

You appear to have taken the result of the first part 100 x 20 = 2,000 and assumed that is in USD when it was the x 20 in USD and then converted this rather impressive, but, I believe wrong result into pints from the voucher value.

You are suggesting you would receive a total value of €1,868 for just stage 1.

Surely it is only as follows:

• 100 x 20 USD = 2,000 points
  • 2,000 points can be redeemed for 3 x €40 EU value vouchers
  • 428 points left
  • 96 more points before you can redeem another voucher.

From BL own information.

For example, if the total price of parts in a model’s BOM is 20 USD, the Stage 1 Points Award would be 100 x 20 = 2000 points, and the Stage 2 Points Award would be 300 x 20 = 6000 points.​

Their example for stage 1 also results in 2,000 points and has NO further calculations.

1 Like

i think you have it wrong.

basically BOM is 20 USD

you get 2000 points at 1000 stage 1

and 6000 points at stage 2

so per model…

3.8 gift cards at stage one so $160 euro extra for reaching stage one

11.4 at stage 2 so… $458 euro at 2

Edit: MalcTheOracle post is a lot better! was writing this at same time ;/ my math terrible!

1 Like