Making better use of Flush-into object in Bambu Studio

Ready to do first multi colour test print of Blender Arcadia cruise ship hull.
Purge ratio about 30% - 5hr print time.

Add flush-into objects knocks purge ratio down to <1%, but does increase print time by about 30% to 6hr 41m - but it will yield 7 table top extension parts.

1 Like

Print worked out - but a few errors to fix - which I will do in Fusion 360.

1 Like

Is reducing purge ratio from 58% down to <2% worth increasing print time by nearly 50%?

Think I will compromise and remove 2 of the flush-into objects which will only cost about 2g of extra flush, but will save a couple of hours.

1 Like

Hi! I just now stumbled across your thread. I get the gist of the idea, but I haven’t read in enough detail to answer this question: Could you just as easily print gridfinity storage bins with the purge waste?

https://www.printables.com/model/366532-gridfinity-standard-bins-with-label-parametric-fil

That way it could help get you more organized for free!

There are many variants, and the one I linked is just one of them. You could easily do without the label projection for instance. In their most base unit form: they are more of less just hollow cubes, open on the top, 42mmx42mm.

Yes gridfinity could work as flush-into objects.

However the ideal shapes to use are ones with a bit of bulk at the Z height where the colour changes occur in the multi-colour model being printed.

I have been looking into “Multi board” as I think Jonathan’s ‘stacked grid’ printing approach could be a good way to lift bulky sections of useful things like grids or even storage bins up to the optimal Z heights.

2 Likes

Very happy with results of ship print - flush about twice as much as estimated - but still <7%. Prime tower estimate pretty accurate.

Plus some more useful table extension parts.

1 Like

Another slightly more extreme example that you tend to get with smaller multi coloured objects - starting flush ratio 468% -

Adding 4 flush objects increases print time from 1h2m to 2h23m - but reduces flush ratio down to about 10%

Results… Too little flush for my scales to register…

1 Like

Decided to print Azura at 1:1000 scale for the first time - using the 4 colour 1:1250 version from Makerworld, scaled back up to 1:1000.
Also lowered flush multiplier from the 100% in Makerworld version down to 60%

Added slightly different flush-into blocks.

Without flush saving - Purge ratio 59% - 324 colour changes, print time 16h53m

With flush saving, purge ratio down to about 1%, print time 20h33m (+ 3h40m)

1 Like

Probably an unfeasible idea - but here is a proposal and some what I think are nice animations of an approach to multi colour / multi material printing - using multiple printers joined together.

3641CCAD-23D1-4293-9F44-45D7315FF1B4

1 Like

Quite a lot more work done on Blender print simulations - see attached YouTube video - including a way to visualise the layers in the model that are creating the purge, and the relative size of the different purge amounts per colour. I based the purge line lengths on the millimetres of filament - but the amount of filament each 1mm of 1.75mm filament extrudes out of a .4mm nozzle is I think about 19mm - so the amount shown is quite tiny compared to the actual amount of waste.

1 Like

Another concept - this one might actually work - and I think there could be massive time savings for some models like mine with loads of layers with just 2 colours in them.

Next stage is to do some proper time and waste saving calculations for a few example models.

2 Likes

Finally got around to producing short instruction video for purge waste table.
Animations done in Blender.

1 Like

Finally got around to trying out some Marble Filament.
I saw a model similar to this about a year ago.
Created in F360 - using Emboss Deboss - to remove some patterns from complex object, then used combine from a copy to create bodies for the parts removed.

Start flush ration 750%. After adding a flush-into objects - flush ratio now down to about 150% - at the expense of about 30% longer print time.

Tried dusting of my automated part selection scripts - but hit a few issues - so did part sizing and selection manually.

Actually decided in the end to print 2 copies - so reduced ratio down to 75%

1 Like

Print completed ok, although vases way too small - should have done single colour test print - and figured out why scripts didn’t work - I have a mismatch in layer heights between the file being printed and any potential flush objects queued up - need to add better diagnostic messages.

2 Likes

Trying again - doubling the size of the pots. This time got the scripts to work - but they did stop a bit early, so cloned one of the flush objects two more times.
Flush Ratio improved from about 150% (70g) to

To about 15% (9g) - at the expense of about 90 mins more printing

2 Likes

Prints finished ok. Did get one lot of waste filament build up again - this time on a different X1C - so I don’t think it is hardware related. Must be slicer or firmware related. It only happened right near the end - in the area of the print where the colour changes were above the ‘flush’ objects.

Still pretty pleased with the small amount of flush from 232 filament changes.

Prime tower a little bit stringy

But overall a nice harvest of table top parts -

Plus pretty pleased about how the pots came out -

Plus Timelapse not bad
Timelapse Video

Uploaded to maker world

2 Likes

Almost enough parts now created to nearly double the size of prime table.

Probably just one more multi colour print with some carefully sized parts should be enough.

3 Likes

Purge table upgraded - about 80% bigger

Old size

New Size

1 Like

You have a few Lack tables, when do we see the Billy bookcase?

2 Likes

Well spotted - the table does match lack dimensions,

1 Like