Multi plate automation for A1 mini

Important Announcement - Mini Review

I have been lucky to have been granted a review unit of the Swapmod.

I thought I would share my first opinions, I have been granted permission before anyone gets concerned.

I aim to create a dedicated post for Swapmod once I have performed more tests.

Unboxing

It is a review unit, so, it came in a box.

It was very well packaged.

Included in my review unit were the back, front and top mechanisms, two build-plates with the latches† already attached, some spare front latches to add to my build-plates, a pack of screws and a QR Code to scan to view assembly videos.

Assembly

I am very disabled, many of you know this. I required assistance adding the nut and bolt into the spare latch on the front of one of my build plates. I was able to attach everything else.

The videos explained every stage very well and in an easy paced way.

I had to remove my A1 mini bin which I had printed previously that is placed between the Y-axis base and the LCD screen mount. This allowed the front mechanism to slot into the space it needed. I only used it to have lubricant-spreading spades no great loss.

I also had to remove the carry handle as a top-mounted assembly which controls an actuator and the carry handle gets in the way. Again, this was no great loss, I had never moved it from where I first installed it.

† Latches if my word, I am unsure of the real term.

Testing the Swapmod

After finishing the assembly process, the instructions point you to the web service it has a test 3MF file you use to test the Swapmod. This is available for Bambu Slicer (BS) and OrcaSlicer (Orca).

I ran the test and the printer went through a process of removing and replacing the plates many times.

That worked perfectly.

I have to say it was early simple, it grabbed the build-plate from the printer and dragged it off whilst beginning the process of dragging the next plate on.

The whole thing was a joy to watch.

Before you ask, there was no problem lining up the expended plate into the tray for the next builds. Careful use of agents and their placements align everything.

I printed a file with two plates

I created a simple two-plate print 3mf, with models I required for a model I just launched, perfect timing. One had a lot of support material, the other required a brim to stay upright. This was a reasonable test to see if the dragging process causes any issues.

I used the web service to convert my 3mf into one including the extra control information. The file was returned straight away. I will determine if larger files cause any speed issues in future tests.

I printed the converted two-build-plate file and watched as the first model printed. I left it to work. I heard a noise behind me and remembered I should be watching something, I turned around as the plate on the printer was being removed while the next plate was being pulled on the printer.

The second plate began printing automatically, the second plate was square on the printer and gave no reason for any concerns. I have to admit, I was a bit giddy, I was not only seeing automation but, benefiting from it.

Downsides

The only real downside is the extra space required. The question I have to ask myself though, is this a negative or a positive, the answer is easily a positive. Yes, more space is required, but, the ability to have a fully automated process function without much user involvement is a huge benefit, far better than finding space for more printers or if this is for business, staff.

Improvements

I have already suggested to @Dill, each one aimed at making the processing slightly easier and neither will slow down any public release.

Conclusion

This thing is fantastic, it just works. I can see this being attached to many printers, it is mostly idiot proof (trust me, I am qualified to know) and almost disabled proof (again, I know).

I have been an ardent supporter of this project and am glad it has proven to be a very successful project.

This is an excellent combination of software service and hardware.

Better Review

Once I have completed some more tests, I will provide that in a separate post with better photos and if I can videos.

Quick Photos

6 Likes