My new a1 keeps on hurting itself and now has developed a skew

My A1 is about 1 month old and was working well, have over 100 hours on it. But in the last 3 days it started slamming the bed and printhead into the end of the y and x axis respectively. Over and over again (for minutes) at the start of a print.

A short clip of it

At first it had a x axis belt tension error so i tried adjusting that (it went away after i started pressing the triangle button to tension the belt). But now it’s started again and tensioning doesn’t change anything.

The prints have also gained a decent level of skew which is has gone -0.05 to 2.16 degrees in two days. I’ve tried asking support even to know what that movement is for, but just get generic auto replies.

Has anyone had this before or know what it might be related to?

Any help would be really helpful cant imagine it’s healthy for it medium term.

I normally love bambu and have had a p1p for 18 months with no problems so this is really strange.

@MalcTheOracle Have you ever seen anything like this? Maybe you can help our friend here. :thinking:

1 Like

Can you take the following pictures?

1. A close-up shot when in-situ
  2. Remove the nozzle from the head and place it on the build-plate
  • Take a photo straight down with the nozzle straight
  • Rotate the nozzle 90º and take another photo

I am wondering if there are any bends or physical damage.

Do you have a spare nozzle of any size that you could swap out and try to see if the still happens?

1 Like

hi thanks @MalcTheOracle, it doesn’t look like the hot end is damage or noticeably bent. I’ve attached pictures with it on its back and side.

I have a spare at work, but dont know when I’m going back in, I can if there aren’t any other obvious solutions.

I also noticed some maybe strange behaviour when i move the x axis using the display the y axis also moves very slighty. But the x axis doesn’t move when i move the y axis in the same way. I dont know if this is unusual.

Also the amount of skew is the main problem now. Even that first purge line is really off and I’ve attached pictures of a califlower i printed and two models that should be rectangular but are basically unusable.

What do you think?

The good news is it isn’t the nozzle then.

The bad news is it isn’t the nozzle then.

Unrelated:

• I love your ruler
  • I think you are confused as to the nature and appearance of the root vegetable known as the Cauliflower.

I have just started up my A1 mini and used the onscreen controls to confirm my belief; that moving one axis should not and does not affect the other.

I recommend you review this wiki article now, follow what it says and report back.

ok, good but also not so good to know.

Ok I’ve gone done the x axis a couple of times and didn’t really help, I just tried the y axis as well and the prints are still coming out very skewed. I think this is an electronics malfunction. There isn’t a mechanical connection between the x and y and if that’s not normal that one moves the other then has to be some strange defect. Can you think of anything else it could be?

Also no i meant the califlower calibration pattern, it’s pretty good before this i was getting 0.05mm precision fairly reliably. Printables

Thanks again for helping out

Have you rerun the Calibration function found on the printer itself?

It is the same one when you first set the printer up.

yep every time i did the belt adjustment. I tried factory resetting the printer 2-3 times, I even found an alternative x axis tightening tutorial that tells you to push the triangle button on the side (which is helpful and they miss it in the main one). I was adding skew compensation through the pre print g code and tried that or removing that or resetting any saved values in the eeprom.
It’s been a busy few days.

Relooking at the video i think the x axis belt was loose or had uneven tension on either side. But I’ve fixed that.

I just cant work out what could be causing that skew. It’s been draving me crazy.

Have you contacted BL using the new Human-based chat?

The hours are China-focussed, but, you should find some overlap with most time-zones.

2 Likes

What Firmware are you running on the A1?
I really don’t like the attempt to self destruct in the short video.
How are you sending the prints to your printer?
Windows PC, Mac, Android Handy App?

oh my god, that would be amazing, I just kept getting the same form responses from the tickets. Will try tomorrow, thanks!
Although trying to debug this has started to make me skeptical of relying so much on closed sourced printers… exhausting… thank you again though!

1 Like

I tried a few different firmware versions, the latest 01.03.01.00, I also tried downgrading to 01.03.00.00 and 1.02.02.00. Also turning tried turning off the print settings. I thought maybe it was the bed detection, nozzle clump or filament tangle detection trying to fix a problem. That worked I think once or twice but not reliably. I was sending all of them over either lan or through the cloud from orca slicer and bambu studio on mac. I tried custom profiles but then just tried the defaults on both and still no luck.
I’m thinking that if that behaviour isn’t a valid action then it’s a malfunction, either firmware or something to do with the hardware as that slamming started before anything the skew or anything else.

I also tried factory resets, cleaning the sd card and going through the startup gcode there are some -x and -y movement commands but unless it’s one of their non-standard gcode commands then there weren’t any that matched both the x and y moving quickly past their 0 positions, so i think it’s a malfunction.

I’ll talk to them tomorrow though in case they solve it… Have you seen that banging motion before if so might be something else…

Please note that Live Chat is currently more focused on General Support.

Technical support is provided via the ticketing system, as we require more details about the issue reported (logs, videos, etc) and also takes a bit longer to investigate.

@albert.higgins1 Could you please send me a private message with your Ticket ID / email used so we can check the ticket and find out where the delay was, and how the ticket was replied to?

Thank you

1 Like

Try to print something on the base models that bamboo send on the card if it prints ok the problem is that you have chose the wrong printer from the slicer!

1 Like

So the cause of the problem turned out to be the M1005 command which apparently is cumulative instead of absolute. As i had it in one of my filament profiles it would add to the skew on each print as opposed to just correcting for it.

This meant that the end positions for the x and y axis were beyond it’s endstops, which I suspect caused the banging and ironically the skew.

Even though i tried resetting the skew and eeprom, what worked was using this command:

M1005 I0

and M500 to save it.

The skew correction macro M1005 is still new on bambu but I think it should have detected by the imu in the printhead and bed that they were clearly hitting their endstops and the skew was outside of the printable range.

Still glad that has been sorted out.

I learnt all this from this form post in case anyone wants to know more or has a similar problem.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.