New Gold PEI Plate with Bambu logo-Transfers to print?

Hi all!
I have a bunch of Bambu PEI plates. Many of my prints rely on the texture that PEI plates provide…like clock faces, signs, etc. as I print them face down on the bed. Does anyone know if the new Gold PEI plates with the big Bambu logo show up on prints? When I need to replace my plates…I want official Bambu plates, but if the logo shows up on the prints…I can’t have that.

Let me know if anyone knows for sure.
Thank you!

At first I though you were crazy because I have one of the newer gold plates shipped to me back in November that I never opened. I just went and opened it and I can stated that my gold plate is clearly an exactly same version that this photo of the gold plate listed on the website. But my version does not have the logo in the center just the lettering along the edges.

So I have to wonder if that logo is something new or maybe a website watermark.

If it is on the plate, it’s a safe bet, there will be some form of image transferred to the print.

Now having said that, now’s a good time to check out competitor build plates for a lot less money.

Here is a search term on Amazon but they can also be found on Aliexpress too.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bambu+lab+build+plate

In fact, if you don’t mind the hassle of waiting a couple of weeks, the prices and variety on aliexpress are a fraction of the Amazon prices not to mention in some cases 75% less than bambu. You also get a monster set of choices so why not pick up four plates of various types on Alieexpress for what you’d buy just one on Bambu.
https://www.aliexpress.us/w/wholesale-bambu-lab-build-plate.html

I purchased two of these plates, one with a dual textured and specular coating which gave a mirror-like finish to PLA. Performance-wise, the textured sides performed equal to the Bambu plates.

The smooth sides though were a bit more aggressive and I got better results when I used hair spray as a release liner if I wanted to maintain the smooth finish. This was particularly necessary when printing PETG on the PEO and PEA smooth coated sides of the plate.

But both these plate had a very harsh edge that scratches the bed. However, I have to believe you have a deburring tool in your 3D printing tool kit and for me, just deburring the sharp edges remedied this problem. It was more of a cosmetic issue for me.

Of course, paying $18 at the time for one of these plates and $25 for the other compared to Bambu’s price didn’t hurt my wallet either. :wink:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLNW6W3N/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C7ZH8TRD/

1 Like

It doesn’t. At least not with the A1 Mini, which also has the silkscreened logo in the middle.

1 Like

For the 3rd party plates…are there stickers or something so that the machine knows what plate it being used?

There are tons of workarounds for this challenge. But note, it only is needed for printers with LIDAR like the X1. The P1 doesn’t have this need.

Here’s a Google search term that will highlight just some of the solutions folks have come up with.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bambu+lab+lidar+stickers&oq=bambu+lab+lidar+stickers

Thanks! I have all X1C printers :slight_smile:

I just had to buy 2 new PEI coated plates on amazon to replace the bambu plates. Because the side lettering on the plates shows up on my prints and also reduces adhesion enough that it curls and (sometimes) ruins prints that overlay the text,. However the lettering showing up on my prints already ruins them as my print top surfaces are usually faced down because the texture is part of the aesthetics of the print.

I’d recommend @bambulabs remove all letters and logos from these textured plates as it ruines the quality of the surface and prints.

Are the plates you obtained from Amazon bona-fide genuine original BL plates? Curious to know because I don’t have any transfers into my prints and I have the original BL plates purchased from the BL store website.

I’ve only been using the official plates I got from bambu labs. I just ordered the ones from amazon today to fix the issue and haven’t received them yet.

It looks much worse in person but here is an image. I end up just not using that portion of the build plate anymore as it’s not worth throwing away items that have the logo imprinted. Kind of annoying as I typically use the entire build plate to print 10-80 different objects at a time.

Or this other angle of it which is a bit easier to see:

1 Like

Yikes! That’s really terrible. I’d demand my money back if I was in your shoes. I don’t think this is acceptable, personally.

1 Like

Yea I’m not super happy about it but to be fair Bambu labs printers are amazing and I’m extremely happy with them. This is just a point for improvement that they can do for future versions. I have 2 P1S’s and LOVE them.

I only use the gold textured side of aftermarket plates (ones that have a transferable pattern one side and the gold PEI surface on the other) and I have not had any of the other issues with adhesion on the gold PEI surface I have read about here countless times.
I only wipe them with IPA and a microfiber cloth.
I have printed both PLA and PETG on them hundreds of times and have never had to wash them with soap and never had to scrub them with steel wool or any kind of modification.
I don’t know why the BL PEI textured plates are so bad, but I would recommend just spending the money on one the aftermarket plates and save yourself the headaches so many others here have had to deal with.
They have no writing on them, so they also don’t have the issue presented here.

I have great adhesion and their fantastic overall. However the topic was about the lettering printed on them and how it imprints into your parts. It just so happens that I also have adhesion issues with small prints that overlap the imprinted letters.

Maybe they have fixed the adhesion issues with their textured PEI plates. I just couldn’t get over the volume of users reporting adhesion issues on this forum with the stock gold plates.
I bought my P1P over a year ago and mine came with the dark gray textured plate, so I have never tried the BL gold plate.

Honestly I’m not very active on the forums and came here to report this issue specifically as a recommendation to improve the build plates. I found this topic from searching before I posted something and here we are :slight_smile:

Like you said, I’ve found if you clean the bed with IPA after every single print and keep your fingers off it as you put it back in there are adhesion issues for most things. Large flat parts always have issues with any printer if you don’t include features in the design to prevent it, as I note below.

I’ve had issues only twice:

1. When I was doing several prints between cleanings with IPA. Was easy to identify and just do it after everyone.
  2. When I was cleaning with a paper towel with the plate inside the printer. I found out I was brushing up against the Z axis rods and getting some lube onto the paper towel and spreading it on the plate. Took me a week to realize what was happening. Now I clean the plate outside the printer and then reinsert after each job.

I almost daily print beds like this with no adhesion issues and 100% success (If you see I void the lettering on the left as it ruins my parts if I print on top of it):

I do use some tricks for large parts to hold down the corners like these discs (1 layer height) in the corner of large parts to prevent corners lifting. This is necessity for a lot of prints if you don’t want to be using large brims (which are great also but can be a paint to remove cleanly):

They are called “mouse ears” in the slicer and are available under the “Brim type” menu, if you don’t want to have to integrate them into your model each time.

interesting, My brim type menu doesn’t have that option in Bambu Slicer and I’m using the latest version.

It must be native to Orcaslicer then.

Screenshot 2024-02-22 11.40.09

I only use Oracslicer. I haven’t used BS in a long time.
It’s very close to BS (uses the same code) but adds many more features.

Nice I’ll have to check it out. :+1:

They should add a mouse ear and outer brim combination. That would probably be useful for some parts.