Nozzle scrapes build plate during bed level process

My Bambu X1 Carbon has made what looks like deliberate scatches on the back of 2 of my build plates during the bed level process.

The head moves back and forth at the back of the build plate scaping down to the metal of the build plate.

The build plates are both brand new and are not bent.

I don’t “think” this is supposed to be the way it works, but just wanted to understand if anyone else is having this issue or if I should create a support request.

close up

Per the build plate listings in the Bambu Lab store:

“Before self-leveling, it is necessary to repeatedly rub the nozzle in the special wiping area of the build plate to completely remove any residual material at the tip of the nozzle. The coating in the special-designed wiping area will gradually become worn over time. This is normal and does not affect print quality or nozzle life, so there is no need to worry about any quality issues.”

8 Likes

Sorry, I missed that detail. Thanks for the quick reply

1 Like

This cannot be the case. I know others with the printer and they do not have any worn down first layer of that wiping area.

can we get a response from BAMBU on this?

It is the case. Read the wiki and learn about the printer. Not the greatest wiki in the world, but you will learn a lot.

Mine is much more worn down on the Cool Plate side than on the Engineering Plate side. But both sides are worn in a similar way in the same place.

The “extension” feature on the back of the build plate is there specifically for the nozzle wipe and the printer does a wipe every time before it attempts to find the surface of the print bed, in order to ensure there’s no blob of filament to trick it in to mis-reading the Z height.

It is most definitely 100% the correct behavior.

3 Likes

If you don’t want to clean the nozzle by scraping it on the bed, you could update the “Machine start G-code” section like below. The idea is to let the print head ooze over the poop chute until the hotend temperature drops to 180 (where it ideally stops oozing) and then rub it across the wiper to shake the poop chute and clean the tip.

This also works well when printing directly on glass since there will no place to wipe the nozzle.

G1 E-0.6 F300 ; retract filament
M109 S180 ; drop nozzle temp until the filament stops oozing
M106 P1 S0
G92 E0

; Shake the poop chute lever to eject the extruded filament
G1 X70 F9000
G1 X76 F15000
G1 X65 F15000
G1 X76 F15000
G1 X65 F15000

M400

; Wipe the nozzle to clean off the filament                               
G1 X80 F6000
G1 X95 F15000
G1 X80 F15000
G1 X165 F15000

M400

The “extension” feature on the back of the build plate is there specifically for the nozzle wipe and the printer does a wipe every time before it attempts to find the surface of the print bed, in order to ensure there’s no blob of filament to trick it in to mis-reading the Z height.

What do I do if I always have such a small drop on the nozzle?

What’s the reason?

Melted filament is leaking (oozing) from the nozzle.

What is the cause and how do I solve the problem?

There is always some filament behind in the nozzle. When the nozzle gets hot the filament is melting and is leaking from the nozzle. This is normal and noting to worry about.

it’s a problem:

I often had the problem that the nozzle was pulled through the freshly printed one, probably because the height was determined incorrectly.

When the printer does the nozzle clean step, it stops and lets the extruder cool down before it moves off the cleaning tab. This should guarantee that nothing can ooze from the nozzle. If your nozzle still oozes, it’s generally going to be because your filament is “wet”, it’s absorbed moisture from the air. When the moisture gets to the heated nozzle, it turns to steam and expands, driving filament from the nozzle.

If you don’t own a filament dryer, getting one is your next step.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

Sounds plausible. I print in a basement room that is very cold and I had the problem with the adhesion to the print bed a few times. I increased the bed temperature and left the door and lid closed. Since I left the door from the printer a bit open, the problem of the dripping nozzle seems to be better.

I didn’t think PLA could be too wet. I thought this was an issue, especially at PETG.

PLA becomes brittle when it’s absorbed moisture. If you bend the filament and it snaps easily, that’s a sign it’s wet… PLA is less susceptible compared to other filaments (Nylon is about the worst), but it’s not immune.

3 Likes

It says “over time”. So should this be occurring on day 3?

Thanks!

The nozzle rubs on every print. So, yes, it’s going to gradually wear away more and more over time.

This works way better than dragging the nozzle across the build plate:

Do you know how to not let the hotend extrude a line of filament after the print like yours