PA6-GF any brave souls out there?

I am wondering if anyone has had any success with the PA6-GF? I have no real need other than wanting to try it out and see how well it works.

Hi,

PA-GF is a must within technical filaments due to its excellent cost-performance ratio.

• I’ve used it before BL, in an S1Pro and never had an issue related to the filament.
  • In the X1C, the first print went well, but I couldn’t find a balance between pleasing aesthetics and dimensional accuracy. The printer performance with the 0.6mm nozzle wasn’t at the same level as with the 0.4mm. This seems to be solved, and the last PA6-GF print already looks pleasant. Note that “aesthetic” and dimensional accurate prints are achievable, yet a more thorough calibration procedure is required.
  • The only problem is not a problem but a well-known characteristic. The filament is waterholic. By laziness, my dryer is still limited to 70ÂşC, which makes the process inefficient and morous. Currently, there are novel methods to decrease the drying time.
  • If the prints are long, you may also notice a quality decrease over time. This is solvable by printing directly from the dryer or air-tight box.
  • The moisture also affects the final print’s performance. I only found a need to care for a print to be installed in a boat (river). I sealed it using epoxy resin from the surfboards. It is still in mint condition. Other liquid plastic coatings will work as well. Yet these are homemade solutions. There are several better methods.
  • For indoor use, I wouldn’t worry about it.
  • I had the first failure from a door hub subjected to exterior atmospheric conditions. It didn’t last more than four months. I used a safety coefficient of above 2 and mechanical proprieties under saturation. In addition to water, I couldn’t find any optimal printing layout for fibre orientation against torsion. I was mostly sure that the print wouldn’t degrade.
  • I’ve used predominantly PolyMide PA6-GF, as it works and includes a detailed technical datasheet.
2 Likes

I’m still waiting for a need to crack it open, but I did pick up a roll to play with and see if I like the material in general. Loved the PAHT CF, but don’t print it much. I’m curious if this is going to be similar. Also picked up one roll of PA6 CF and PET CF and haven’t cracked either of them open yet either.

All of them should be good for under the hood of a car and I do plan to make some stuff in the future, but haven’t sat down and started the modeling for those projects yet.

The hygroscopic nature of PA is the only drawback. I’ve seen one Polymaker Co-PA blend go weak after being soaked in water, after printing. That’s a little disheartening. I haven’t notice that strength fall off with the PAHT (PA12 I believe), but I am fully expecting the PA GF to do that.

What is everyone using for their print settings? My AMS is recognizing it but it doesn’t show up as a preset. Neither Orca or Bambu slicer has the setting and both are updated.

1 Like

I would use the PA6 CF profile. You can probably add a little volumetric speed because the BBL page lists the printing speed 30% faster than the PA6 CF. However that volumetric speed is easy to find a perfect value by running the test.

1 Like

I plan to do that but I don’t understand why they would release it without a preset. They did it for the other filaments they just released and I assumed the update would include this one. My AMS knows what it is.

1 Like

This is pretty consistent. Release a filament and then a month or so later, a profile will come.

1 Like

You seem to be correct. According to two recent papers, continuous moisture will irreversibly affect the PA until the rupture. Anyway, I wasn’t expecting this, as it wasn’t flooded. Whenever I have the time, I will test with and without coating.

From those, I only didn’t test the PA6 CF.
The PAHT CF (PA12 - you’re correct) is extraordinary, but I couldn’t use it as planned because of the magnetic proprieties. For sure, opportunities will appear.
I only used the PET-CF to print a microejector for testing with vapour at supersonic speed (more of a justification for using it). It is a technical filament and slightly more challenging to print than PAHT.

Does anyone know the GF content of PA-GF from BL? I am asking as both print settings and the ability to use in the AMS denote significant distinctions from the Polymkaer one.

I also take a long hiatus between these filament prints, as it is difficult to justify their usage when I can achieve the goal with PETG, ASA, or PC.

2 Likes

same thing. I bought an AMS and 4 spools of colored PA6-GF, recognized by AMS correctly, but when I open up Bambu Studio I get an error meesage that they are unknown filaments. like WTF, I spent all this money and their own slicer doesnt recognize the filament? Thats why I bought it all. Damn it.

Yeah the annoying part is I can’t even print it with the PA6-CF setting because it’s recognizing my spool as a Bambu spool. I’m sure I can override that setting but it’s more annoying that it not being recognized.

1 Like

i installed Bambu Studio beta and when i sync’d with the AMS it added Bambu profiles to them. But the PA6-GF profile seems to be locked to X1Carbon printers, when i open Orca Slicer it only shows up if i change my printer to X1C, But I use a P1s with custom profile. Now after trying for a long time to export or sync those profiles (i even made my own copy) to Orca, it just wont work.

I am now creating profiles from scratch on orca for the P1S, using the Bambu Studio PA6-GF data. Then I will run the Orca calibrations and dialthem in. I should be printing soon. Below are the unmodified settings from Bambu Studio for PA6-GF

found the profile in Bambu Studio Beta, it shows a MaxVolSpeed of 10.5

see my post above with what I found

1 Like

Awesome thanks! Let me know how it goes. I have Orca and Bambu studio beta as well.

I put in a ticket and they tried to respond to say if I have the latest Bambu studio it would be there. I followed all the steps and even tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything. It’s not there and I’m seeing other people with this issue. I was able to print it using the PA6-CF settings with a tweak but it wasn’t perfect.

Click the gear icon to the right of the filament section, and be sure the boxes are checked for both Filament type PA-GF and Bambu Lab PA6-GF:

It doesn’t exist for me. Even uninstalled and redownloaded everything.

OK, this is your last hope. In your Preferences (Ctrl+P), is this box checked?

Yes, it’s checked. Not sure what else to do.

Yeah, doesn’t show for me either. Are you using a beta version of the slicer? I’m on the newest stable release.