PLA CF And AMS

I have a roll of PLA CF from Bambu, and I’m looking at many posts saying I should use the spool holder, and not the AMS to print this material. I was going to print up those little PTFE tube holder thingy’s, to protect the feeder thingy in the AMS.(I’m not sure of the correct nomenclature , but you know what I mean:) from the abrasivness of the material.Do I need to rig up my spool holder to run this? Please advise, as I am a newbie at this, see above.

1 Like

Yes I’d like to know more about that too. I’ve been trying to print both PA-CF and PLA-CF from the AMS but both always fail and get stuck somewhere.

1 Like

I am going to say it’s AMS compatible with official documentation from the manufacturer.

Yup, I saw that while shopping for this filament, but after some googling, I had some questions about its use. I ran a few prints of a support for a photography background, and it printed well for me. I will keep an eye on the areas it come into contact with for any wear marks, but I’m gonna keep printing…

2 Likes

Spoke too soon, it jammed up entering extruder.Trying to clear it out now.

1 Like

Update:Was able to just load a different filament just fine, PLACF would get to end of PTFE tube at extruder, then stick on something. Inspected the knob where filament enters AMS and see alot of wear, considering I printed about 100g. Inspected the filament that was pulled through to the extruder, and found small ligh colored specks, which I believe to be the material which was wore off the button in the AMS, probably why it was jamming up.
Comparing the Bambu filament to a batch of PLA cf from 3dprintingcanada, the Bambu product is visibly more abrasive, as well as to the touch. The 3dPC filament feels close to a matte PLA, a bit rougher, but loads smoother than the Bambu.
I don’t think it’s a good idea to use the Bambu PLA CF in the AMS, as a small amount of filament(100g) has created a wear mark on the AMS button on my machine. I have not tested it on the external spool holder yet.
I am going to try the 3dpC filament and see how that plays out, I hope better, as I have 2kgs of that.

But I’m not going to run Bambu PLA CF in my AMS, sorry Bambu

1 Like

I tryed out the 3dpC CF and had no trouble printing a hex scraper, but the scraper had a number of stringies in the hex area, so I wonder if I need a bit more temp?or slow down? I’m not sure what it means, hoping someone here can tutor me.

I may have prevented the filament from a jam by trying out this design I found on Printables.

I also built this designers solution to the button wear issue in the AMS, and it seems to work fine in protecting the buttons from wear, can’t say how the more abrasive materials behave inside the mechanism.

1 Like

I printed about a full spool of BL PLA-CF without any problems with the AMS, but then the first signs of wear started to show and the retraction wasn’t working 100% of the time anymore.
I would agree that a PTFE tube button is a good idea if you plan to use the AMS for abrasive stuff, but be aware that it will void your warranty.

1 Like

At least in the United States, the act alone of adding the button cannot void your warranty thanks to laws like the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. To deny warranty due to a modification or non-oem part, the manufacturer would have to prove the failure was directly related to the part or modification. And even then, if the part or modification is deemed at fault, it can only result in denial of warranty coverage for the issue it caused - not negate the warranty of the product completely.

2 Likes

Thats a nice law, to be true.

Not real concerned about warranty, just want to print with the PLA CF safely, and the AMS doesn’t seem like a good way to do this, despite what Bambu says. I’ve added the mods to my machine, but I am hesitant to print with these materials through my AMS.
Just want others to be aware of these risks,

I echo your concern. I ran enough of the BBL PLA-CF through the AMS to print test a HD 1x5 gridfinity base, and print a 2 color hepa filter/muffler for the rear of the X1 where the body was all CF and the BBL logo was their gold metallic PLA. After those prints I found yellow plastic bits floating around in the AMS feeder for that slot like the filament was chewing up the plastic gears.

I bought the PLA-CF and PETG-CF for fun, because my previous printer was not setup to handle abrasive material like this. I don’t want to risk quickly destroying my ams without a purpose :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I will probably just feed these from my Sovol filament dryer via the wye adapter going forward.

Fwiw, I have not seen similar wear from either the BBL Red Sparkle PLA or Marble PLA - the Marble feels smooth so there maybe no abrasiveness to it, but the red sparkle definitely has a rough texture to it.

Nice, I haven’t seen this yet. It seems like it might be a good solution too as it would explain why the filament has to be freed by hand from the rear in order to get it moving through the AMS again. Could be the angle of the tube gets kinked because of how stiff certain filaments are.

I’ve used the PAHT-CF in the AMS with no issues.

I have run 3 rolls of BL CF-PLA through one of my AMS units. I haven’t noticed anything. That said, I’m still a little uneasy but I love the stuff. Parts can be replaced.

1 Like