Poll: Intelligent "Insert Text" using system variables

Intelligent “Insert Text” with system variable
  • I would definitely use this feature a lot
  • I can see myself using this from time to time.
  • Unsure how I might use this feature
  • I presently do not use the “insert text feature”
  • I Can’t see a need for my use-case
0 voters

It’s necessary to change parameters when testing out different filament, printer and model profiles. It would be very useful to be able to pass through to the into the “Input Text” function, the Name and value of each variable. What’s more, it would be nice to have a different default font too in order to provide a visual queue that the text displayed is a value derived from a system variable.

Here’s how that might work.

1. While in the “input Text” function, one might hit a special character to call up a variable menu, perhaps using the hash ‘#’ sign much like how this forum calls up a menu of topics to link to when hash is pressed. The Colon ‘:’ sign or pipe ‘|’. Two of these characters in a row would cause the software to treat it as the actual character not as a symbol. This behavior is already displayed in this forums software. But when the first occurrence is seen by the slicer, it would bring up a menu of available values and their current state. One would then simply click on the choice to insert it.

2. Upon each print, if the value is changed in the parameter, this would appear upon slicing. For this to work well, there should be a new option called re-slice so one can always refresh. Here’s example of Flow Rate that I currently have to place manually.

Here’s how the popup might look when one presses the special character

Other possible useful Global or Systems variables. Note Abbreviations would be needed on most of these .

• Current System Date and Time(this would be great if it was real time but still useful if it showed the time at slice)
  • Layer count
  • Filament Profile Name
  • Printer Name
  • Process Name
  • Object or model name
  • Model X,Y and Z dimensions
  • Model X,Y and Z coordinates on the build plate

In short, what would be helpful is that if it’s a value stored in the JSON file, it should be on the menu to include in the Insert text feature.

Here’s a really big ask… External Variable Table support.

If we go this far, then it would be nice to be able to create an importable/exportable variable table that we can use from model to model. This would make the Bambu Studio a useful tool let’s say for identification of print jobs done in printer farms. Use cases like customer/client name or Job Number would be two that come to mind.

In fact, if it could be linked to a CSV table with Titles to name the field, then import/export wouldn’t be needed. This could be done outside Studio thus increasing its extensibility and perhaps even allowing 3rd party apps to interface to billing and production systems.

1 Like