Power lead caught on fire

Has anyone had there A1 power lead to the printing bed POP or catch fire, its killed the printer and knocked out my home power only had it 6 days! Have a x1c and have done 1650 hours on that, have sent a ticket hopefully they will replace / refund this junk and il buy another x1c

4 Likes

This is scary stuff.
Are they fire hazards just waiting to happen?
Can we let them run unattended?

I would really like to know what Bambu Lab has to say about this.

5 Likes

That’s crazy! I’m so sorry that happened to you; I’m glad it wasn’t worse D:

I’ve had my A1 for about 3 weeks so far and been printing a ton; had and no issues like this.

Beyond a refund/replace, I hope they pay for return shipping so that they can analyze the unit to figure out what went wrong.

3 Likes

Still had no response from bambulab after 3 days how long does it take. Are they waiting for the 10 day return window to go so i cant return it. Really bad customer service. Have emailed and done a support ticket. Anyone else had issues with them

3 Likes

This is crazy. I hope you get a response soon.

Could the cord have been damaged during unboxing or even too close to a wall during print?

1 Like

Very concerning. Replying to keep this alive as I also have a new A1 a few weeks old. Been printing for many years using Lulzbot’s and have never seen this. Bambu should be all over this and posting a formal response.

2 Likes

The bed on the A series printers are heated with AC mains power. This is different than the X/P printers that are heated with 24v DC power. It looks like a shielding failure. This seems like a single occurrence and not a widespread problem which I highly doubt Bambu would address publicly. Hopefully they replace your printer ASAP.

6 Likes

Well played Bambu! :clap:. Recall info here…

2 Likes

Well done indeed bambulab; obviously wish it never happened in the first place but compared to how a lot of companies try to bury their problems, I applaud Bambu Lab for leaning in and giving clear instructions on diagnosing and and offering fixes & solutions!

2 Likes

Sorry but I’m not so forgiving here. You don’t get extra credit for doing something you’re supposed to do. What we do next, give out a medal to companies that can say “Hey at least our product hasn’t killed anyone”? What’s more, how did this defect leave the factory in the first place and what other latent safety defects are present in their other products?

How do you miss something this obvious?
image image

The picture above and the link to me looks like a crimp failure during over-molding of the cable. In this day and age, how is a slip-up like that even possible? Every single power cord uses this time-tested manufacturing technique.

Think about it, when was the last time you saw a brand new molded cable fail at the internal crimp? Whereas this was a low voltage cable, it obviously had enough power to cause the jacket to melt in the photo above.

I also don’t buy these two statements in their recall notice. Had this been a cable with a connector, it would have added cost but would not have had this issue eaither.

I don’t see this so much as Bambu being noble, in so much I see this as their lawyers stepping in and saying “Act quick before something really bad happens and we get sued”.

7 Likes

Just one thing to add. This is not a low voltage cable. The heated bed on the A1 runs on mains supply. So depending on the country, it’s either 110 or 220V AC.

1 Like

Thanks for point that out. I was not aware of that. That makes this defect even more egregious. This should have never reached the consumer.

4 Likes

Well… just had a look at my A1,and think mine falls into recall territory. Ticket created.

1 Like

The entire cable is probably defective and everyone should replace this cable (photo from the FB group)

From my post on this:
Got the message, looked at the blog and shook my head. If the printer were to get set on the back side (which many people probably do instead of setting it on the edge of the table like the instructions say) . . .

This will still NOT prevent a cable issue. It will just move it further up the cable to a spot similar to Misiek’s picture. One small change in the protector design would fix that.

Too be fair to them, they have actually offered to replace the heatbed assembly or even the entire printer for those who are not comfortable with doing the fix.

2 Likes

Agreed. I followed the instructions to the “T”. I even wore nitril gloves as not to get any oil residue from my hands on the print bed. I was super gentle. Place the items as new were instructed. Even used the soft foam packing so parts would not scuff or slip on the table. No way it was a handling error.

I got mine from Microcenter and they have a 15 day return window which is already up, also I can’t make that trip back out there as it is extremely far from where I live. I don’t mind changing out the heat bed, but I want to make sure Bambu makes it right. I uploaded my receipt as well just I case. I wonder if anyone got a response. I know it just happened and they posted the recall recently. But what about the OP? Seems like they used there picture in the recall.

I checked my printer and I have this bulge in a different place, I set up a ticket.

Setting the printer on the back side might not be the only issue here. Plenty of pics in the last month showed indirectly that many people like to push the printer against the wall as much as possible, with very little room in the back. That is extra pressure on the cable. On the other hand, you can’t blame people for wanting extra room and this might be down to a design issue.

It seems like mine has no problem so far, no bulge, but I also left plenty of room in the back, as I was mostly worried that might be extra pressure on the bed and ruining my bed leveling.

mine looks ok but how do i know its not. what a way to give me anxiety lol i love this printer too, it just works but now what do we do. i’ve printed out the protective cable thing how do i know if its not going to set on fire. its like going back to 2017 with my anet 8

Well, if you are looking for peace of mind, there is a rather inexpensive IR imager that one can find based on the MLX90640 thermal imager. Think of it as a poor mans FLIR. I bought one some time ago mainly to identify hot-spots in my PC System builds. But it also let’s you know very quickly if you have a short or something is about to burn out.

Here’s the search term on Amazon but anything that has the MLX90640 sensor will give you the exact same image. The difference between the models are just screen size and other bells and whistles like the ability to record to an SD Card. Otherwise, there isn’t much of a difference and they range in price between $60-$120 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=MLX90640+Infrared+Thermal+Imager&i=industrial
Here’s an example of what an object looks like on the bed of my P1 during a print.

Here’s an example of a the print bed when I wasn’t sure if it was heating correctly.

They all have a resolution of 240x320. You want to avoid the ones that state they are “AMG8833 MLX90640” those are made by the same company and they are a scam. The AMG8833 is only an 8x8 Panasonic sensor and the MLX90640 is a Melexis 240x320 sensor. They don’t even look the same. They are mutually exclusive to one another, and the ones that advertise an AMG8833 only have a 64 pixel resolution and look horrible. I have both. I even built an AMG8833 with an Arduino so I know it’s limitations first hand.

Here’s how to spot the fakes. The Panasonic (bad)sensor is a rectangle.

The Melaxis (good)sensor is a circular tube. This is from mine.

2 Likes