Power lead caught on fire

FWIW, my printer is only 3 weeks old. Never set on backside, never pushed against a wall. Only has 10 prints on it. IMHO, this is not about those things, it’s a cable that’s moving / flexing the entire duration of a print - sometimes for hours. This is a design / strain relieve issue. This cable should not be coming straight out of the back.

3 Likes

Great. Have had mine literally for 2 days and I see this pop up.
I wonder if a cable replacement will be shipped to buyers, to prevent excessive reshipping of these,
and to ensure we get what we paid for. A working printer.

I also have my doubts that the cable addition will be of much help, and I hope we get an update soon.
Will be turning off my printer for the foreseeable future until something is done.

Could have been kept in perfect conditions by yourself but the cable could have been already damaged during transportation… as they stated this might be the first thing that will cause this problem. Any idea how the cable was during the assembly, if it was already damaged? This might answer your own concerns, that the moving cable might cause this over time.

They already said this only affects only a few printers, so I guess a lot of us are fine. Well, I printed almost every day for a month now, there is no signs of that bulge or anything similar, so I guess that protection will suffice for now.

Was curious how much such hotbed replacement cost, but it seems it is not even available on their store?

1 Like

heatbed unit for an A1 mini is €41,11 so i’d expect something similar or a bit higher.

I guess they pulled the A1 units from the store asap.

my unit is relatively new and has a small kink, Ive had it on a table with nothing blocking it behind, this might also be an assembly error since my cable seem to have a slight twist to it (90-180 degrees) making it want to fold more to the right when the bed is moving.

Man, I had hoped that these were better than every other Chinese printer on the market. Initial experience was better than anything Creality, but this and support not getting back in 3 days for other issues… its not looking great.

Printed our strain relief, and this unit wont be running in our workshop without being attended.

2 Likes

Hi,
The A1 is not anymore available in UK, EU, USA.
Hope they are working on the cable protection to solve it.

1 Like

I guess it’s because they want to add the reinforcement thing to all of them and check if any of them was already damaged.

We will enhance the packaging for all the A1 units currently in stock in our warehouses to prevent cable damage during transportation. The package update involves open-box operations, resulting in visible signs such as holes cut in plastic bags, additional padding, and modifications to the box.

To me, that picture says it’s not a problem that can be corrected with a strain relief. If the wire is that delicate, the entire cable needs to be replaced with something more rugged.

I’m sure a very lightweight and flexible cable is needed to allow free movement of the bed, but if other manufacturers can provide a durable cable I’m sure Bambu can also.

2 Likes

yes, but I don’t know any bed slinger with a 220v bed! I think that is a problem! The good part is that they have taken all the measures to be sure that should not be a fire hazard! but I don’t know if some kid may be electrocuted!
I hope they find a good solution soon!

1 Like

I installed the suggested fix and I noted no damage to my cable. If the intention is to to eliminate the strain on the cable. while some may have doubts, I think the printed fix will work fine… as eliminates the stress point at the at where the pictures show the damage can occur. Probably still something to keep an eye on, but the strain relief should work fine.

if I were you, I would check if the cable worms up during printing! if so call the assistance!

I find it incredibly irresponsible of them to simply do a blog entry… and not proactively send anything to owners , at least at the same time as the blog entry. Thanks to @PbStuffCo for the link

I am enjoying the printer, i also enjoy my home .

Why is this post not … #1 in the A1 series category? :exploding_head: :roll_eyes:

I actually got a push notification from the Bambu Handy app containing the link to the blog post.

That is completely false: The A1 mini does not have a mains powered bed, while the X1 and P1 series do.

1 Like

But the main statement (And probably the only relevant one for this thread), that the A1 (non mini) is running its bed on mains power is in fact true. But yeah, I’m also under the impression that the P1 and X1 Series beds are running from mains power.

3 Likes

Tevo Tornado, Artillery Sidewinder X1, Artillery Genius and probably some others. This has been done at least since 2018.

1 Like

You are right around the X/P bed being AC powered. I stand corrected on that statement.

I still stand by the bed on the A1 being AC powered. Time stamp 44:32

3 Likes

No disagreement on that :slight_smile:

Thats such a nice video to get to know how your printer works under the hood.
Troubleshooting your issues is so much easier when you know what potential failure points there are.

1 Like