Power lead caught on fire

this is fun to hear… I just got my A1 last Friday and to be slapped in the face with a recall, I’m keeping one hell of a close eye on my heat bed cable.

My bed cable looks good, but it does wrinkle some when flexed in that area. Did not feel any heat coming from it immediately after a print. So I’m feeling pretty good about just putting the strain relief on it that they sent the print files for, until I hear more about a permanent fix.
Going to be a feeling a little bit paranoid until then, but fortunately, I don’t run the printer without someone being home to check on it frequently.

Clarification - It is a “Callback”, not a recall. This releases Bambu from some federal requirements and liability.

1 Like

Update; i sent a support ticket on the EU side about my cable last night, got a response on the morrow asking for shipping details, so a swift response on this errand on this side of the pond at least.

For those who didn’t see the Bambu Lab Heatbed Cable Protector.
A1 Heatbed Cable Protector by Bambu Lab - MakerWorld

1 Like

This is honestly a precaution. There doesn’t seem to be an inherent issue that will cause printers to randomly catch fire, it only may happen if the cable is subjected to unusual levels of stress. It shouldn’t happen if the printer is used normally.

The ‘bulge’ is bunching of the outer sleeve, it means the cable has been bent beyond its design considerations which might have caused damage. It doesn’t mean the wiring inside is failing or faulty, and failing or faulty wiring wont cause the wrinkle, it would likely cause a lot more obvious damage.

1 Like

I disagree with these statements and this should not be speculated on as there are others reading this info that are far less experienced with electrical than some of us. I’ve been using my printer “normally” and it’s happening. No unusual stress on my part. It may not mean that wiring inside is failing (yet), but I’m not willing to take that risk with mains power flowing through there. I’ve done my fair share of electrical work, and this is not normal. The cable is moving for the entire duration of prints. It is under constant stress. Clearly there is a design issue here. I have printed the stress relief provided by Bambu, but it does not give me much more comfort. I am not printing anything unattended until this is fixed.

Just got my support ticket response (US) they only offered to replace the heatbed but the blog post offers to replace the entire printer. I added to my ticket asking for the replacement printer.

ETA on new heatbed was a month :frowning:

If you’ve got the bunching then the cable HAS been subjected to stress somewhere down the line whether it was you or not.

Damage to the wiring, overheating or shorting will not cause the bunching shown in the Bambu post. Overheating and shorting would cause the cable to swell up, go hard, lumpy and get charred.
The wrinkle or bunching shown is a symptom of excessive bending of the cable at some point, not damage to the wiring. Damage to the wiring may occur because its been flexed too much. People seem to be getting it backwards.

1 Like

No backward perceptions here. We all have our opinions.

Just opened also a ticket. Got it on Daturday here in Germany an found the same cable problem. Very sad…

Yes, but some are wrong. Bambus own post says the bending caused the damage. The outer sleeve looking like that is due to the bending, not wiring damage. There likely isn’t any wiring damage for the vast majority who have the outer sleeve damage. The recall and posted solution is a precaution.

Same problem in mine… What do you guys recomend me? Get the cable replacement or all the printer? I have it only 3 days ago…

Me too. I don’t install it myself. I don’t know how long a new printer will take. The heatbed alone takes a month…
Maybe request a refund. I will see what they offer me.

Bambu Lab you have made a mistake in producing an uncontained bed slinger. You should have kept to your strengths. Instead of making the A series I would have found way more usability in a self-contained Laser Engraver made by you, with laser etching functions fully integrated into Bambu Studio for a one-stop software solution. I can’t believe you haven’t considered this… You should kill LaserPecker with their unsafe standalone overpriced unit by making a powerful self-contained engraver that won’t catch on fire. But here you are BL, making a bed-slinger to compete with that trash fatass Prusa Loser. Please just don’t make bed slingers anymore, focus on volume and economies of scale to reduce the cost of enclosed CoreXY instead.

1 Like

My cable is bunching like in the “bad” photo but I havent seen any problems yet. Should I still replace it?

That melting is definitely within spec. Also fires are within spec if they are isolated to just the printer or the surrounding area and electrical shocks are with inspect up to but not exceeding 240v AC.

But seriously this is extremely dangerous. Now is the time for bamboo to push out of update to disable printers and push for a recall to fix. And yes they can do this and I do believe that they should for safety reasons. This can and will start a fire but this does pose risk of electrical shock. There’s multiple ways this thing can kill you and they need to do a recall on it and fix it right but knowing them They will do a Band-Aid fix and try blaming the user.

But this is what happens when you send products out to influencers and never have them to actually tested. This stuff should have been found very early in testing and fixed. But they don’t actually test anything They send them to influencer so they can say buy it they’ll do maybe three or four prints on the printer and then I go sits in a corner.

There is no such thing as overreacting when it comes to safety. If you have one remove it from service. Bambu is going to say what they can for damage control. This is potentially your life and home. Don’t screw around with it. And now this is a second issue with Bambu and heated beds And it just shows that they don’t test these They don’t send them to anyone who tests them And this issue is going to keep surfacing. Ask one users were lucky that it was just the cables for the temperature sensor But this is pretty major.

Guys be careful. I don’t wanna see post like we did with the Anycubics catching people’s houses on fire but I think we might see one of these do this unless we tell people to take this seriously and get it fixed. Just be careful

1 Like

yes but they only move up and down and are harder to reach, that A1 cable can be reached very easily

Did not say anything is wrong with that.
Just saying it’s “completely false” is not the right statement since everything that was false is not relevant for this discussion. I don’t think this whole thing should be happening either way. I’m very curious to see what strain relief they will send out next month. But strain should not be able to make the leads touch that easily or nick the leads resulting in heat spots.

I think the risk depends where you are. If you have no fused plugs and no RCDs in your mainboard its probably a risk, but here in the UK we have fused plugs, RCDs and I have the printer plugged into a plug with its own internal trip switch.