Print bed hits bottom of z axis when starting new print

After having printed a tall print, the bed is lowered to present the print, placing the bed quite low on the z axis. Starting a new print causes the bed to lower further, and it bottoms-out on the z axis causing loud grinding noise/belt slipping/stepper missing etc. It self-corrects before starting the new print. However this is completely avoidable with some better start/end print gcode.

This problem affects both P-series and X-series printers.

This problem has been around for MANY months without any attempt to fix in releases of firmware or bambu studio. Come on guys - sort this out please.

Actually, they did make an attempt to fix it in one of the previous firmware releases. I don’t recall which one but if memory serves, it was back in July or August. You may want to see if have the latest.

At any rate, I’m not sure, short of them adding another sensor, that this can be addressed. Also, Bambu stands behind the notion that this is more of an annoyance than it is damaging the printer. I can tell you I was alarmed the first time I heard it and worried that I somehow damaged the printer. So you’re not alone.

1 Like

I had this too. But luckily I haven’t heard it since the firmware update to 1.04.00.00, where Bambu Lab adressed this issue (P1P/P1S and AMS Firmware Release History | Bambu Lab Wiki). :slight_smile:

Well, I have v1.04.01 firmware, so maybe its a regression issue (ie was fixed in v1.04.00 and re-appeared in the next release) which is not uncommon when a software company has different teams working on different releases (I worked many years in IT software dev, so i know this stuff). Either way its still present in v1.04.01, so it needs fixing.

I am pretty sure that it can be completely fixed in firmware by keeping track of last known z-height, storing this value in non-volatile memory (ie safe across power interruptions), and modifying it when z position changes either by g-code or user adjustment of z-height using the move buttons. Even simply keeping track of z-height at the end of each successful print would solve 95% of the problems, instead of “forgetting” it, and crashing the bed into its endstops with sloppy g-code that assumes an amount of z-travel exists. Even if that is “too hard” implement why is the bed lowered more than 10mm anyway = just reduce that travel and solve 85% of problems. Seriously this is a trivial problem to solve.

1 Like

Same here. each time it hit the buttom of the printer the next time noise is longer like it out of sync betwen physical location and software Z hop location

i have the same problem on a P1, thats really annoying and i am on 1.05.02.00

Yeah, still a problem in latest firmware.

@Olias, No need to add a sensor, the answer is blindingly simple - move the plate up the z axis initially, not down. If it hits home, good, there is a sensor there for that. The down travel is pointless. If moving it down is important in the levelling process, OK, but move it UP first. @Bambu Labs, Come on Bambu, get a grip!