Reallocation of MakerWorld's points reward system

Hi MakerWorld community,

In the initial version of MakerWorld’s incentive system, community contributions were measured primarily based on popularity. Over time, it became apparent that this approach heavily favored popular designs. Creators who dedicated substantial effort to crafting intricate models may receive fewer rewards compared to simpler designs that quickly gained widespread popularity. After initiating a discussion on the MakerWorld forum on January 30th(Questions regarding MakerWorld points - MakerWorld - Bambu Lab Community Forum) to gather your feedback and viewpoints on this matter, it became obvious that many of you shared our concerns. Consequently, we decided to upgrade our incentive mechanism and launch the Boost System.

For more details about our Boost System, please refer to: Boost: Major Update on MakerWorld Incentive System

Now, let’s get into the details of how we plan to restructure our point system.

For Models:

For Print Profiles:

For uploading first print profiles:

Each time you upload the first print profile for a model, you will now earn 5 points, and up to 50 points in total.

We have reallocated some budget from the old popularity-based approach to the Boost System while keeping the overall budget stable. You may notice your income from the point system temporarily decrease because there’s a natural delay between receiving the boost token and using it.

8 Likes

How does this help complex/intricate models that require multiple plates to complete versus a simple model that need only 1 plate? I have several multi plate models that generate a lot of filament revenue for Bambu but still only count as a single print regardless of how many plates are needed or if a person prints the model several times. And now those prints are worth much less. It was great while it lasted and I appreciate what I have earned but it looks like those days are officially over.

21 Likes

I agree with SH_Designs, I don’t see how this helps complex models, but I like the idea of being able to hand out a few extra points to models I really like. Those first two were easy choices.

2 Likes

I also have multi-plate models and this doesn’t help at all. I think I’ve finished publishing on maker world, it was already difficult to get noticed and be rewarded before , imagine now!

9 Likes

I appreciate MW’s efforts to try to improve the platform. I’m not trying to front run the outcome of this new feature, as it’s likely I will be wrong lol, just sounding out some thoughts.

1. As it is, I suspect only a small segment of users give ratings. Getting the typical user to earn Boost points and proactively award them before expiry is going to take some conscious effort. Consequently perhaps creators will get less?

2. The rewards will now be further concentrated among models that get featured or borrowed brand power, not necessarily because they’re complex models per se? The featured / popular models are likely to pull in the Boost points on top of the download points, simply because of greater visibility.

3. Probably have to deal with horse trading, quid pro quo activities lol.

Fingers crossed this actually works for ‘complex’ model creators.

6 Likes

So first killing the way downloads are counted in the past few weeks, now dropping the points like this. People will literally earn maybe 10%-20% of what they were earning before.

This will absolutely stop people putting in the effort to create innovative models for MakerWorld.

Crazy how they moved so quickly instead of slowly phasing down the points.

18 Likes

i think the a loot of boost points will never be used. there needs to be some sort of automation to use the boost points.

4 Likes

Well, it was nice while it lasted. I’ll go back to Printables.

17 Likes

The boost isn’t for yourself, you can give one boost per week. You can earn as many boosts as people give you though.

3 Likes

I have two nearly complete projects that will prove this statement incorrect.

The boosts you earn are only for giving out. You can’t redeem them. You can only redeem boosts that have been given to you.

4 Likes

I like the boost idea pretty much :slight_smile: I already received two boosts and converted them. What I do not like is the small multiplier because the boosts will not compensate the lack compared to the old system. …but I was expecting that this might change due to the fake account point farmers.

@MakerWorld May you can think of increasing the multiplier for models being voted > 4.5 stars?! every 10 votes + 0.1 multiplier until you are back at 1.0?!

4 Likes

I think you have 14 days to award the boost points that you get form BL (one per week). If you get a boost from a user (unlimited amount) you get one dollar and you can spend it within a year.

Makes sense. That was a bit convoluted in the rules.

Looks like my crystal ball is working:

7 Likes

6 Likes

your so damn funny … go back to printables … :rofl:
I’ve managed to get 2 rolls of filament from printables, paying for the transport, while I’ve got tons of filament and printers from Bambu.
Even with these new rules, I’m sure Makerworld is far more good than Printables.
It’s true they did cut down seriously this time, but be honest … everybody knew they are too generous and just waited for this to happen.
Let’s not forget, this is not a selling platform. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Yeah my guy, it’s all free. Of course, we’d all be happier to earn at higher rates but no need to be so negative so constantly. We’ll see how Boosts work out, it’s too soon to call, but the way you talk you act like you’re entitled to high compensation when it’s a free program that returns dividends much higher than any other platform available now.

Just to clarify, I don’t like lower compensation, no one would. I’m just waiting to see how Boosts goes first and also most of us already saw this coming and while it’s not ideal it’s not unreasonable either, it’s all free

9 Likes

related to Boost Model … i think it’s so damn nice and cool. I can boost models i think they really deserve!! … not the same damn ball variation done 100 times, or the same figurine slightly changed and reuploaded to get another 1000 downloads with tons of points.

7 Likes

Addition to your post:

If you can’t be found in Makerworld, how would you get boosts?

Who should people give boosts to? Should they scroll all the way down the pages or look for models with few downloads that they like? People should boost the models they have printed.

Since boosts can be used, people want to give them, as we already see in this thread. But what else are we seeing and what else is natural? - Boosts are given to models that are already popular, have won awards, but also those that are at the top of the search pages.

6 Likes

I like the idea of active voting of the community. I am just hoping that the new modifiers result in getting accurate data again, instead of limiting what is counted like it has been on the last week’s.

3 Likes