Remove LAN mode limitations

The following functions do not work in LAN-only mode.

• SD card access
  • Handy app
  • Firmware updates

The first two shouldn’t require internet access at all. Firmware updates obviously have to be downloaded from the internet. The current method of updating is:

1. Disable LAN mode
  2. Log back in using Bambu handy
  3. Download and install update
  4. Re-enable LAN mode
  5. Reconnect printer to slicer, as the access code has changed (maybe it should be stored on the SD card to survive updates)

Possible ways to solve this are:

• Allow users to manually install updates from the SD card.
  • Allow printers in LAN-only mode to connect to the internet to download updates.

I think what most people want from LAN-only mode is simply to not send files to Bambu and back when the printer is only a few feet away, rather than not connecting to the internet at all. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to access the internet for updates.

Ideally, LAN mode shouldn’t be needed at all. Bambu Studio/Handy should attempt to connect directly to the printer by default, and only use Bambu servers if it’s unable to, e.g., when not on the same LAN. This would retain the advantages of LAN mode while still being able to remotely monitor prints.

I’d like to see this also.
I just disagree with you in this point:

Ideally, LAN mode shouldn’t be needed at all. Bambu Studio/Handy should attempt to connect directly to the printer by default, and only use Bambu servers if it’s unable

If I don’t want it to use the cloud, I don’t want it to use the cloud :grinning: no matter what happens. If I want to start printing outside my network, I than need to create a VPN.

I think the intent was to say Ideally, CLOUD mode shouldn’t be needed at all.

You can access the SD card over LAN in LAN-only mode using FTP to the printer, so your first bullet point isn’t correct.

FTP access to the MicroSD is available (at least on the X1C) in cloud or LAN-only mode.

But in LAN-only mode, you cannot access the MicroSD card from Studio, which is an unnecessary restriction.

Yes, I agree. It should of course have been accessible from Studio as well, but since you can access it over LAN (in any mode) it isn’t completely inacessible, as one might think after reading the OP.

That’s the idea, yeah. It should always connect locally if possible. A separate setting shouldn’t be necessary.