Roller stuck after unload

Hi
I have had issues with spools being pulled out of slots since I received my printer some time ago.
Now I have identified the issue.
After retracting (unloading) the fillament, the roller gets stuck and can not spin in the load direction at all. I can not even spin it by hand. This remains until I manualy spin the roller in the unload direction for just a bit. Then some gears release and it can then spin freely in both directions.

Does anyone know this issue? Should I contact Bambu support?

Thank you.

2 Likes

The roller might be unseated. H
This post has a link of a picture of one unseated.

2 Likes

I ckecked the bearings, and they look fine. Thank you for the tip anyway.

This may helpā€¦ AMS setup and Filament Loading | Bambu Lab Wiki

Look for the word ā€œstuckā€ in the page.

This looks exactly what is happening to me. But from that page it seems like this is normal operation :upside_down_face:

1 Like

ā€œNormalā€ is a relative term. lol I did get a chuckle out of seeing a corrugated cardboard spool in the last photo on the page.

I am having this same issue and figured out the gears were not disengaging causing the filament not to feed when switching colors. has anyone gotten a solution yet?

Hello I have the same issiue as well. Could you find a solution?

I have this issue also. Re-adding the filament in the AMS, then starting a print, the spool jumps up because the rollers are engaged. The filament is stripped because it is being pulled, but the rollers are holding it back. It may be that i first need to ā€˜loadā€™ filamentā€™ rather than just shoving it down the AMS hole. But you woulr think that because it sucks it down, it should know to release the rollers first ? Feels like a bug. Doesnt alwasy happenā€¦

I donā€™t know if this will help any, but Iā€™ve found that the rollers will roll fine until I push the first stage feeder back to load the filament. Then the rollers lock. To unlock the rollers, I just roll the spool backward a little.

Now I routinely load filament by placing the spool on the rollers, roll it back a bit, grab the filament end, roll the spool forward to generate some slack, and finally push the feed horn back to insert the filament. Then I usually roll the spool back a bit to remove the slack. No issues since I changed how I load the filament.

3 Likes

I do the same thing. Never leave slack filament on the spool.

Nice tip!

2 Likes

You are spot on tsmith35. I tried this today, and yes, the rollers locked as soon as i fed in the filament. rolling it back a little by hand released the lock. Thanks for your tip.

Bambu labs - if you are listening, can we get a fix for this. Otherwise the filament rolls thrash themselves in the AMS, and it has lead to the filament being flattened or snapped off as the machine tries to load filament, with the ā€˜brakes onā€™. I also worry about the AMS being damaged whilst theis is happening. Hopefully itā€™s an easy software fix to jog the rollers.

1 Like