Settings for printing PETG - stock PETG profile settings cause fails?

I am only 10 PETG basic prints down on my P1S but thus far I would make a claim the stock settings in Bambu studio and handy apps are WAY too fast. I started to have successful high finish quality prints around HALF the recommended speeds, sometimes less. Seems to me PETG runs into a gamut of problems when trying to print over 150mm a second including some layer adhesion issues but mostly globbing. Big nasty globbing. Please share only the speeds and information you have had repeated success with on PETG. We dont need speculation here we need facts. Dont know about you guys but i want settings that will print 90 percent of things without failing. Failed prints are such a bummer.

1 Like

This is my standard PETG profile and I have about 98% success rate with it.
I gleaned these from the P1P ARC case 3MF. I was so impressed with how well it worked for the case pieces I just made it my standard PETG profile.

The only time I had to design an even slower PETG profile was for this very tricky PETG-CF I bought that needed even slower settings.

3 Likes

Some issues are due to filament getting stuck to a nozzle and hitting infill. Try to use gyroid or other non-crossing infills.

I don’t agree with this rhetoric of slowing down for those PETGs.

1. increase temps
  2. change infill settings
  3. throw in trash BL PETG basic. Their PETG is trash.

Hello,

Indeed, using my X1 - Carbon since last November, my first attempt to print PETG with the stock configuration was really awful. After a while, reducing the speed and using the 0.24mm draft solved my problems. I don’t remember what exactly I have changed in the speed - I think was just 2 parameters - and now I’m happy using these changes as user preset. So far I’m just using eSun PETG. Oh, I think humidity play an important role as well for avoid some stringing that happens from time to time. Overall this new configuration works well for me.

2 Likes

Thank you for verifying my findings! Our profiles are quite similar for basic PETG. I will dial in guidance even further but bambu labs is causing MANY MANY failed prints with these stock settings. Its CRAZY what they’re doing. The company should change stock settings for PETG. I also have petg cf and that stuff is so nice. Check out this kunai blade its made out of that PETG CF

1 Like

Yes. Thank you for sharing. This will help lots of people repeatedly failing on petg prints

Can you share your successful PETG profile and results?
I’d love to find a way to increase the speed without sacrificing quality.

I have only a profile for VoxelPETG+ filament. I pretty much got rid of any BL PETG Basic, because it’s horrible. I can share that profile if you are interested.

Yes, please. I’d love to see the settings you are using to print PETG at speed.

1 Like

Sure, I will share it after work tonight.

How many successful PETG prints do you have on this profile? Please also post what types of prints they are, if its got bridging or overhangs or supports, anything relevant to the profile. Thanks for adding to this conversation.

I’m trying to avoid any support generation as much as possible on PETG.
I never counted, but so far I had only two bad prints on that profile with that material: one was due to the bed adhesion, and another was due to the overhang material dragged onto the adjacent layer.

Almost 1 kg of a spool of VoxelPETG is gone, parts were mostly ~100g each.

Can anyone else verify printing PETG at full default profile speed? I just dont get how its possible, tho im here to figure out whats real and whats not. Advocado will you please post you profile and if you have it a picture a part you printed at full speed?

1 Like

Please be patient. I was planning to do a post with PETG printing and filament options; but swarmed with work. I literally didn’t touch my printer for a whole week. I got my ObXidian nozzle too, but it’s collecting dust right now…

@NeverDie recently obtained the same PETG as what I use and posted his prints in another thread.

thanks. Ill check out archane or whatever that setting is for sure. Still it seems HIGHLY likely the suggested profile speeds are MUCH too fast and thats why so many bambu users are experiencing difficulties printing what should be the second most easy material to print PETG. A material they planned on printing a lot when they bought their 3d printer from bambu. So i get you think your helping by keeping bambu super fast but your not. It IS much to fast and its causing a lot of grief. Not just with PETG either. So many failed prints due to these delinquent settings.

I have not tried Bambu Basic PETG. I’ve had good success with others by starting with a Generic PETG profile and making adjustments based on OrcaSlicer calibrations. None have required speed adjustments.

These screenshots show the only changes to the Generic profile:

2 Likes

nice. I have esun petg in red and white, can not get it to look or stack half way decent past 150mm a sec on average. Could you post picture of anything youve printed on that profile? As you know 3d printing is quite specific to the model in question. So pictures help. Here one i printed with b.l. basic petg just yesterday at about 1/3 speed. As you can see bl petg offers good surface finish and sheen if you can get it to print.

Hi!

Just an update: I just have tried to print with white PETG Creality-CR Series Filament using the X1C Generic Profile and the Standard Preset and it came out just great in the first try. No issues at all.

This is a print of the Textured Fidget Infinity Cube from MakerWorld and I decided to use because of its complexity, with 90% infill.

Didn’t touch a thing in the Filament profile or in the parameters (0.20mm Standard), except Infill.

The only novelty here is that now I am using Sunlu S4 Dryer, printing direct from the spool inside the box (didn’t put the PETG in the AMS for now). Although the new filament was driyng for around 2 hours - less than the recommended - I don’t think it made a real difference (the spool came direct form the package to the S4 and stayed there prior this print for one day with the dryer off).

Before purchasing this filament, I conducted a research and found out people saying this Creality CR PETG was very successful and easy to print so I decide to give it a tried and now I’m happy with the results. Now I’ll be ditching the eSUN PETG and adopting the Creality CR. Let’s see if the satisfying printing continues.

Cheers!