Speculation about new printer announcements

I got carpal tunnel syndrome just watching this guy goin at those sheets of dozens of bolts with a fricken allen key, like some sort of techno barbarian

U1 clone incoming :slight_smile:

edit/ but looks like with quite a few more heads

I was just about to post that…

Do note the filament rack on the right hand. I spy with my little eye 6 spools!

Sort of looks like bondtech toolheads. This is exciting! hops around happily

Yep looks like it, hopefully it will be a more elegant solution thank what the u1 has

Well it may as well be, bondtech will be available for a wide range of systems,but I don’t think it will be the case though, as sovol likes to keep cost down

After thinking about it, 6 seems like the right number if that CMYK setup is a goal. Unlike paper, you dont get W for free, so you gotta have at least CMYKW. Plus 1 extra to cover some intermediate shade, or a support filament.

Watching what sovol’s doin!

My guess is this is Sovol’s production take on the StealthChanger.

agree that’s a strong possibility! let’s see how they are implementing

I got the Anycubic Kobra X in today… we’ll see how this A1 killer goes. The other A1’s in the room were looking around nervously, and recalibrated in fear. Moving slow due to injury but it’s comin’! If you know me you know I care about max quality, not at all about speed, so I hope it’ll deliver with some loving tweaks.

If it takes tweaks, then it probably won’t be an A1 killer. It can be a good printer, but for a different customer base.

well I dont agree with that at all, if I left my A1’s untweaked I’d have many unhappy customers! I rather enjoy taming machines [as long as they will respond] so idk. I run 0.06 - 0.10 layer heights and no machine yet has done it well outta the box and on defaults. [a1, p1s, ecc, ecc2, qidi+4, ce3v3se, k1c – a1 has been the best]

I have heard from other A1 users that they don’t need to tweak. But if you want to tweak, then by all means. Each has their own way of using a printer. Nothing wrong with that.

I notice they call their calibration tool the “Sexball Probe”:

I wonder why it’s so big? :laughing:

Maybe it’s some kind of parallax creating a visual illusion, but it gives the impression of having a much bigger build volume than the U1, doesn’t it? I’d wager it’s an upgraded SV08.

Looks as though the Flashforge creator 5 has adopted the snapmaker approach to calibrating its multi-toolhead:

Roughly $200 less expensive than the snapmaker U1 during their promo, but won’t ship until May.

I really hope flashforge does well here. They’ve been an underdog for a long time and could use a win. It feels like they’ve been living in the rut between Creality and Tier 1’s forever

Their weakness wasn’t their hardware, it was their software. IMHO, if they had just done pure vanilla releases of Klipper instead of, like they all want to do, their stripped down variant of klipper, they would have had a much more receptive audience. Even worse, IIRC, they initially denied that it was klipper at all:

In January 2024, a user on the official Klipper Discourse forum contacted Flashforge support to request the source code for firmware on new models (including the Guider 3 series and Adventurer 5M). Flashforge replied that “Their firmware is 100% closed source and uses no Klipper code.”

Community investigation quickly proved otherwise: multiple new Flashforge printers were running modified/forked versions of Klipper. This led to public discussions about GPL license violations (Klipper is GPLv3, which requires source code disclosure for modifications).

Flashforge later created an official GitHub repository (FlashForge/AD5M_Series_Klipper) and released (partial) source code for at least the Adventurer 5M series, effectively confirming they were using Klipper all along.

This is the exact sequence you asked about: denial from Flashforge support → community proof they were running Klipper → partial acknowledgment via source release.

The incident is well-documented in the Klipper community forums and Reddit threads from early 2024. It was not a formal company-wide press statement, but a direct support response that was later contradicted by evidence and Flashforge’s own actions.

The way I read it they actually acted against their own interests. The partial release, if that’s still the case, suggests that mindset persists. Strangely, none of the mainstream turn-key vendors has opted to go full open source. Prusa used to be, but has retreated from that on new printers going forward. AFAIK, now it’s only the kits, like Voron, Rat Rig, K3 that are full open source. Sovol is still only partial. When does it matter? When it comes to doing upgrades, like maybe adding a StealthChanger or an eddy current probe. Things like the Beacon eddy current probe assume a vanilla setup, because their market is too fragmented for them to support all the niche variants. I found that out the hard way.

So the Anycubic Kobra X is setup and calibrating.

Initials:

  • Gantry and base seem pretty rigid
    • 8x M5 bolts to mate the two, with big crunchy crush washers and metal to screw into. Biggest I’ve seen yet lol
    • The pillar is U-shaped, unfortunately, unlike the Square-shaped of the A1 which definitely was a secret to it’s stiffness.
  • Accessing the Y rail to lube it is going to be an adventure, need to like, find a curvey tool to fit thru a spot… not so nice design there. The giant lid of the a1 is wonky but at least very functional.
  • Overall install is really similar to a1, unpack all, mate the two big assemblies, plug some crap in, stick filament handles on top and bobs your uncle
  • Wifi setup is bugged, the keyboard won’t allow you to enter various non A-Za-z0-9 characters! Like some sort of keyboard localization failure…
  • Build plate is tex pei both sides, booooo. Also is not the right shape on top to fit in an a1/p1. Oh well. It does index into it’s notches incredibly well though, really able to just slap and shove it on.
  • It seems tall but is actually about 3-4 inches shorter than a top mount ams lite.
  • Rubber feeties are all located such that a 18x18” cement paver will hold it.
  • Physical build quality seems alright, not giving me any alarms aside from the y rail oiling. Completely straight line inaccessible lol

Shrug, we shall see!

Looking good. Are those normal size ptfe tubes? Or the larger style? If they are the larger tubes, have you seen any problem with tpu? Nevermind, looks like normal size.

I really like the large tube idea. Been contemplating trying to swap a couple printers to it.

Side note: Nice to see more people in here.

Just a heads up: If some if us get the sovol changer, swap the sexball out for the camera. Like what ratrig does. Thisnis what I had to do to my stealthchanger, to get the nozzle offset correct. The ball has play. You’ll thank me later

Now it’s obvious why U1 and Creator5 have dish in bed: far less chance of play for nozzle probing, but it’s still automated and require no user input.