Speculation about new printer announcements

That last pdf. Looks like print head board will be differnt. Probably the one from P1 series.

So, to sum up, X1E is X1C but with Ethernet (and a bit extra heat), hence E=Ethernet right? Not Enterprise, not Elite, not EditionKiller lol

The pics show lidar though.

No backwords compatability. It destroys innovation and whatever people said lol. Slightly better with different plugs lmao. It will be $100 more than the normal x1 but be what the x1c should have been. If this is real, we really did get P1s’d.

I guess they werent lying when they said the x1 would still be the flagship. X1(elite)

Well LIDAR is connected via the Extruder Board. The second picture we see is the Extruder interface board. And this looks different compared to the X1C. So most likely we see an updated assembly for the hotend. Unfortunately, even the extruder board has some changes compared to the X1C, so it would also you to require changing that.

Maybe we see the changes also in the new revision X1C’s. We have seen some changes already. It makes sense that you revise it over time, I mean the printer is now out for more than a year. You will find optimizations over time.

As the connection to the toolhead is via USB-C we could upgrade it. Mounting holes look to be the same, as are board dimension.

I’m still hopeful we will get some upgrades, but if we do, the package will not be cheap.

I dont see it like this. Like I said, the printer is out for over a year. Getting a better option would happen eventually. We are just used to the slow progression at for example Prusa, so 1 year does not seem like a lot of time. But in other industries, having a 1 year product cycle is completely normal.

Plus we have seen a lot of competitors entering the market. Some with heated chambers, so I fully understand the potential move. But it is just filed and had an NDA for 6 months. So who knows when and if this version will ever arrive.

I just feel like, if they included mounting spots but changed the boards every freaking printer, that they are spending money to make sure things arent compatable. They could have produced 1 board set that did everything and saved money on r&d and production costs.But that would have created a cost effective upgrade path. Each ofvthese bambu iterations should have just been upgrades offered on the bambu site.

I personally hope they just concentrate on a legit gen 2. Instead of having 4 printers that are slightly different. 5 if the e is released. Another way of looking at it is 5 gens on the same frame. worse than prusa by far. Atleast prusas iterations were worth upgrading to.

Phones are really the only thing on a 1 year cycle though. And you see how stupid those releases are. Tiny advancements for another $1200

As someone who is an electrical engineer and does hardware designs, no. The R&D cost is really a non issue, if you have this scale.

Lets just look at the P1 vs X1 Series. The SoC they are using for the X1 series will be several EUR / USD more expensive than the ESP32 they have used on the P1. Just this change alone, excluding all the extra components, will have saved them enough to make the change worthwhile.

Same with the Extruder board. Just losing the two USB-C connectors will most likely have already been enough, so that they are saving money even after R&D cost.

From my experience, as soon as you are reaching into the 10th of thousands of units sold, it is almost always worth it to do a custom board. Having compatible things is great if you have production runs in the low hundreds, in fact we often do it for our products, but the extra component costs, which you do not need on the lower end versions, is not worth it. The cost per component changes drastically, if you go from 50, to 500or from 500 to 5000. You often pay up to 2-3x per unit if you buy 50 compared to 5000.

This does not happen tho anymore, if you go from 5000 to 50000. The cost per unit just decreases marginally.

I am quite sure, that they will be working on that too. But second gen will mean a completely new frame. Something that they were able to avoid between the P1 and X1 series.

No. I disagree. This is normal product segmentation. It is not 5 gens. For that most of the hardware is the same. They are 5 versions at different price points, aimed at different customers. Ok, the X1 is a bit of an outlier here, but this is also why they discontinued it.

But you clearly see the difference. P1P is for people printing PLA and PETG. Just want a sturdy and fast printer, without any fancy features.
P1S is basically the P1P but equipped to handle high temp and abrasive materials.
X1C is the next step, it also allows most high temp materials, but also gives you the smart features. So even less work on the customers side, but thus significantly more than the P1S.
X1E would be more for enterprise users. It still has all the smart features, but additionally it comes with Ethernet and hardware kill switches. It also adds has a higher temp hotend and heated chamber, to really print those engineering materials well.

For me, this is a clear and logical segmentation of your products. We do something very similar for our hardware. We also have a line with a smaller screen, slower processor, less interfaces. And we have the high end line, with all the interfaces you could wish for, bigger higher res screen, much faster processing and more RAM, neural engine, etc. This is industry standard what Bambulab is doing.

I wonder why the p1p main board had unused ports then. Why didnt they make a whole new board just for the p1p? And save that few bucks youre talking about. The answer is, there most likely was never supposed to be a p1p and thats why it already had the plugs for the p1s? Could be be accidental backwards compatability? I know they needed to ship asap because of investor push. I also know they have a hard time sourcing the panels. Kinda shows that its possible if they want it.

He is eating Haribo’s!

hopefully they do more than just add an ethernet port. They need to improve the network connectivity in general, Speed ,Interface, Proper LAN mode without loss of functionallity. If they can fix all that I will buy gen 2 otherwise I will probably go with a K1/max.

What functionality is lost, except for the firmware update?

And what else are you missing regarding the network connectivity? Speed will be faster, the SoC supports GB-Ethernet, but WiFi is also not that slow on the X1. What interfaces are you missing?

1 Like
  1. Access my printer from my phone, either on same network or away from home.

2. Upload files and print them later.

3. A web interface i can access anywhere

Maybe the x1 has some or all of these but the p1p does not. If I had know this before i would have bought a k1 and for the same price as a p1p

Wait. How should that work? You want to have access remotely while using the LAN-only mode?

Yes that is indeed a pitty. They should solve this. I want to use my App when the printer in in LAN-only mode, while I am at home or via VPN.

You can? Its in the slicer and works locally. In fact, it only works locally as far as I know.

Again. How does that work in combination with the LAN-only mode? Also, why a web interface? What would be the benefit compared to the slicer?

And the P1P will most likely never get them. Also, a future version of the P1P. It is just running an ESP32. So no full Linux like the X1C or the K1.

1 Like

By LAN only mode I meant no cloud. Web access like almost every other printer on the market, using octoprint or mainsail/fluid/klipper.
The p1p has no access to the sd card on lan mode or cloud mode

1 Like

I really struggle to understand people that cry “Security! No cloud! Security!” and often in the same post complain about not being able to remotely access the printer via a phone app. It’s a strange world we live in now.

5 Likes

Which is the current LAN-only mode. But, that directly correlates with no functions outside your local network.

BBL does not state that they are using any of them. So they would have to develop a custom web UI. What would be the added benefit compared to just controlling it in the slicer?

Direct access, true. But that is, once again, a limitation of the ESP32. You can access it via FTP, but its dog slow. It has just a few kbit/s, so any transfer just takes forever. So they chose not to add it, which is fully understandable as users would complain then too, and most likely more users would complain.

So why add it?

Yes. I mean, I can understand that people do not have the technical knowledge. So they just hear some buzzwords all the time, and then this happens. It is just frustrating as a manufacturer to deal with this, because whatever you do, you will have complaints.

It wasn’t the answer I sought, but it clarified many of my doubts.
Thank you.

I have been looking closely at the info and pictures, and the X1E seems to come with a few hardware updates (it may include functionalities that are still unknown). The hardware is likely compatible with the X1C, but at what cost?

This also justifies the need to consider a new printer generation for significant improvements and clarify the challenge of addressing backward compatibility.

Unless there is a bonus for loyal clients :crossed_fingers:, I agree.
And wasting many suitable components and parts.

I may understand the heated chamber, but with additional upgrades on the electronics’ heat insulation and possibly reroute the chamber fan flux.
The 330ÂșC is not so clear? Am I missing some material? Maybe to reduce viscosity and print faster, the engineering CF blends?

I wouldn’t expect to be compatible with third-party applications. It would be a drastic change in the company philosophy.
I only see ethernet in the pictures.

If you want to control the printer remotely without the free cloud service, you may create your network setup and use Bambu Slicer. If security is a concern, I will skip it. I am not an MQQT user, but it may be a better option.
The same happens with Ocotoprint, Mainsail and Klipper; you must create your server and ensure remote access or use third-party plugins or apps that (last time I checked) are not free or are freemium.

1 Like

Yeah I am also wondering. Its not different enough for some really fancy materials like PEEK, also the heatbed would not be up to these materials. I would also imagine it would be for higher flow PA printing. What worries me, is that it would also mean higher max temps if the heater fails in the on position.

At this point, we would be above the ignition temp for PLA. So the passive safety would be reduced for day to day prints.

I do not think it is that bad. The heat would not be any concerns, as long as we stay below 70°C. Also, from the pictures, it looks similar to the X1C, so I am not sure if they changed it.

The P1P is also the lower end model and will not have all the amenities of the top model. It’s just how it is.

4 Likes

Maybe a new material is also to be launched
 jokes apart, it is clear that BL speed relies (not only) on printing at higher temperatures. Functional parts tend (not a rule) to benefit from adequate printing speeds and temperatures to ensure the filament layers bind, appealing surface quality, and maximise the print mechanical proprieties.
But a Taylor-made filament is achievable by BL.

Agree. However, ensuring temperatures below 70ÂșC in long prints may be challenging.
It depends on the external environment and needs to provide temperatures high enough to be advantageous. For me, 55ÂșC is already something straightforward to achieve.
I noticed that the pictures don’t show any changes, which surprised me when I read about the heated chamber. I thought the PSU would draw more power and be better placed elsewhere. But these are only assumptions

1 Like