Stopping job doesn't stop bed levelling process

I’ve noticed that if my printer homes and there is some filament waste sitting on the Z axis mount it will hit the top mount (usually its the Z axis at the back of the printer) and make a crunching noise and affects the bed level. I press “Stop” on the printer to stop the print job so I can remove the filament that’s stuck on the Z Axis mount, but if I hit stop during the bed levelling, the bed level doesn’t stop. I have to either wait until it finishes which is a lot of collisions I’d like to avoid, or turn the printer off and on again.

Can the firmware be updated so if the print job is stopped during the bed levelling or calibration process that it is stopped also?

1 Like

I think this is normal

(25 char limit)

Bed leveling is part of the print job and is a gcode command that’s run. 3D printers are very linear in operation, it sequentially moves through commands one at a time. Once a command is run, you can’t stop anything into after that operation has completed, which is why you can’t stop the bed leveling process. Only way around it would be to kill power to the machine.

1 Like

@ RandomKhaos Very good explanation…

I had the same problem. Seee here:

Even an error during calibration does not allow to stop it, also it was paused as long as the error message was displayed.

But because the execution of gcode is done by the firmware it would be possible to change the firmware and to allow aborting. And a severe error should abort it automatically.

Yes, it surely can. It may or may not be in the developers “to do” queue, and whether or not it ever gets done depends on its relative priority. If it matters to you, submit a trouble ticket. That way it will at least appear on the developers radar and get tracked Just posting on the forum about it won’t make any difference.

FWIW, I’ve never had this sort of z-axis crunch problem that you describe, assuming I’m understanding what you wrote. It sounds like something pretty rare to me.

1 Like