Strange Surface Quality With PLA-CF [SOLVED]

Hi,
I have had a BambuLab X1C for about 1 month. I’ve been printing a lot of PLA-CF for airsoft replica accessories but I’m having some weird problems. The surface quality is not uniform and then I have missing layers at the bridges. I upload the images for better understanding. Anyone know what the problem is? I’ve already tried cleaning the carbon rods but the result is always the same.

For the print i used:
Material: BambuLab PLA-CF
Profile: 0.08mm Stystem preset, i modified only the walls to 4 for a strongest print.

[UPDATE]
I increased the height of the layer to 0.16, removed the “Slow Down For OverHangs” option and decreased the speeds thus solving all the problems. But I noticed one more thing. This filament is particularly sensitive to speeds and can change its appearance depending on the speed at which you are printing, in fact the final part (the thinner one) is printed at a lower speed thus creating a different opacity compared to the whole piece. Look at the picture.

2 Likes

Hello OneTact,

I print CF functional parts also.

What I can tell you is with CF anything lower then 0.15mm layer height can cause issues such as clogging or partial clogging or under extruding.

Also when using a 0.08 layer height your part will be weaker the bigger layer height will add strength to your part :smiley:

Happy 3D Printing :v:

3 Likes

Hi,
thank you very much for the advice, yes in fact I think I’ll do a test with the profile at 0.16. So I assume that in this case I had some underextrusion?
Also reading this topic: Lines in print - too much unsupported overhang?
I figured out how to reduce those lines at the overhangs, I need to go slower. Thanks again I will keep you updated.