Third party textured build plates for the Bambulab X1C

Because the Bambulab’s textured build plates are sold out, I went looking for a third party equivalent. I found this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PFJJHNN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

which is allegedly 250mmx250mm. I measured the Bambulabs build plate as 258mmx258mm (not counting the parts that jut out), so hopefully 250mmx250mm is a good fit. I realize that I don’t need the magnetic bottom that comes with it, but I ordered it anyway for expediency and because the ratings were generally favorable and possibly believable (Fakespot rates them an “A” on average, which means low subterfuge).

It should arrive tonight. I’ll report back after trying it out.

If anyone has a specific link to anything better, please post.

2 Likes

Please do not use that one. It is missing some important parts. More in a minute @NeverDie

1 Like

I use this one. No issues for PETG for example (no glue needed, no difficulty to remove prints). Same price than official one (but no QR code).

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804536098083.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.49.549f5e5buBA01D&gatewayAdapt=fra2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

or try this link :

2 Likes

It must look like this, especially the part shown with the red arrow is required when using the printers gcode.

1 Like

Don’t know why, i’ve just checked it, and the link is definitely working on my side (check screenshot above that i’ve just added)

still “no show” here but screenshot ok. Thanks

I added a second link … but … wait … my links are transformed by the forum !
Copy’n’paste this :

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004722412835.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.49.7bc75e5b9AKJCl&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra
1 Like

What happens if that part is missing? Is it a fatal error, or does the X1C give the option to force a resume? For instance, when I covered the cool plate is blue tape, the X1C didn’t recognize the plate, but did give the option to force a resume. However, it obviously did still have the jut-out that you point to with the red arrow.

I guess if shape matters that much, then maybe this one from energetic is a closer match:

though it does come at a higher-end price and, what’s worse, a one month delivery delay.

That edge (red arrow) is used when cleaning the nozzle. You could try to take this out from the startcode, but would suggest not to do that. Better get a plate which fits correctly.

2 Likes

Ohhhhhhhh… Yeah, I want to keep as much nozzle cleaning as I can. Thanks for explaining!

1 Like

I ordered the Bambu textured plate just a couple of days ago, and it shipped today. They keep getting more stock.

2 Likes

Wait a minute. The textured plate that I linked to in the OP does have an outdent there, so wouldn’t the outdent still work for nozzle cleaning if the outdent were positioned into the rear?

or does the nozzle cleaning rely on the slot that’s cut into the outdent in order for the nozzle cleaning to work?

You’re right! When I last checked they were sold out, but I re-checked just now and they’re back in stock!

https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/bambu-dual-sided-textured-pei-plate

I just now ordered two from Bambulab. Now I won’t have to muck around with the third party substitutes… unless it turns out the Bambulab ones don’t work well. :wink: Hopefully, they do!

My X1C printer shipped from San Pedro, California, so I’m guessing that maybe the textured plates will ship from there as well.

This outdent is the front (like a handle), the one at the back for the X1 is smaller.

1 Like

that’ll come in like 2 weeks. I’ve never had an AliExpress order take more than 3 weeks even when it estimates well over a month.

I have three of the energetic (aliexpress ones). I choose 1 side smooth and one textures for all of them.

I can advise not to use the smooth one with PETG without gluestick or something. It did not release without breaking an ruining the plate. Textured side works awsome with PETG. Both sides are fine with PLA.

Two of my older plates (already ordered last year) have texctured PEI in the nozzle clean area. The one orderer this year does not have a coating there.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised : it’s the same with the (smooth) Engineering plate (the official one from Bambu, and by the way now the recommended one over the cool plate). At some point i had only that one and it was impossible to print PETG on it without glue.

With official or unofficial Textured PEI plates, indeed, no need of any glue.

1 Like

I have used textured plates on all my other printers. Got the PEX plate from Wham Bam thinking it was textured but it isn’t. I love it over my textured plates though and use it exclusively with my X1C now. No problem with adhesion and I like the smooth finish.

1 Like