Tired of the Behavior

Wasn’t that a song by Eminem? Maybe I just remember it wrong…

Disclaimer: Obviously an AI joke - Original Song: Eminem - The Real Slim Shady

The Prusa forums are soon switching over to the same software “Discourse” as the Bambu Forums. There was a private discussion as to whether or not an off-topic forum should be created. The consensus was that unless it was actively policed/moderated it would most likely degenerate into the same set of individuals both reinforcing each other and attacking others who did not conform to their views. The examples chosen to argue against this were: the Bambu Labs Community Forums, Reddit, StackOverflow and (humorously) the movie Heathers. Why BL Forums? Because most who participated in the discussion also own a BL printer and are familiar with what goes on here.

When I bought my H2D I was excited to join the BL community and hang-out. But instead I just run into a wall of the same people constantly taking swipes at each other. Yes, I can choose to ignore these individuals but then these same people (usually) contribute valuable information elsewhere. So staying on these forums is eating the proverbial ■■■■ sandwich.

Size is a huge deciding factor. Just to guess, I would say the Prusa forum is about a 10th of the size of the Bambu forum. Smaller is just easier to control. Also slightly different focuses for the users.

Ill be excited for when they switch over to discourse. Their current platform is clunky and hard to use (especially on mobile).

Off topic isnt particularly a bad thing. Funny thing is that you see more of the BS in regular categories.

No disagreement there. The typical Prusa forum participant probably tends to skew toward retired ex-professional (or at least older) and someone who likes to tinker.

That’s a good point.

There is a lot of technical types here, but a much higher majority of just casual users. Experience determines mindsets.

In my opinion, some of the flaws in this forum are less about the forum and more about Bambu as a whole. There is simply more drama. From people posting about the point system or the shady things that Bambu is doing with their software. Those are topics that lead to a lot of emotional drama to arise.

I think it is still important to keep in context what started that exchange. Ogi3d (in their 5th ever post) decided to accuse someone of being a bot or dishonest.

I think some people get to invested and need to learn when to step away.

But I also feel that sometimes, once you get a negative view of someone, you look at every post they make as negative. That’s not right. I have seen you and a couple of other users do that consistently.

Has my question been answered? Yes it has. No sense in calling out the bad behavior if the moderators are going to repeatedly tip the scales in the favor of the bad behavior.

I’ve slowly faded away from the forums because it really hasn’t been that open, or positive, of a space, for a minute now. I probably get along semi-decently too with most, so it’s not like I’m the subject of people’s bickering or back and forth. Not typically.

You know, I’ve seen new people come to the forum and try and kick up discussions, then got shut down, or brushed off because of some slight or some little detail that shouldn’t matter. Or maybe that discussion was had before, so everyone piles on them like it can’t be talked about again, despite it being fresh faces.

I largely stepped back after someone tried to bring a discussion to the forum, but a few of the regulars more or less shut the person down and just would not let them advance their discussion, because they wanted to obsess about some meaningless detail… I really don’t see or understand how that served the discussion. All it did was alienate a new user. It alienated me. It kind of made me mad.

This forum can be friendly and fun, but sometimes it just is not. I’ve been involved in a few other communities, in particular one that’s mostly driven by the designers, and the attitudes of people are night and day difference. It’s way more positive, with free flowing conversation. Not everyone gets along or entirely agrees on a given subject, but there’s no fights, arguments. No trying to be the most right. No ummm actuallys as someone pushes the glasses up the bridge of their nose.

I would say a lot of the big users of this forum are a small fraction of Bambu’s user base, and aren’t representative of the typical Bambu user, which is more of a consumer at this point. I would say this forum leans toxic towards Bambu’s more typical users because it’s dominated by old school techy types that seem to despise consumerism and what it does.

It’s a tricky line to walk, because I’m not trying to say those old techy types are invalid in their feelings. There’s a lot of valid takes, but that doesn’t invalidate the experience and value that modern consumer gets out of their experience, the tools, too. I’ve seen in other communities where people can come at it from different points like this… and… still get along.

The way this forum descends at times isn’t healthy. It’s not productive. It doesn’t bring us together as a community. It’s not just one person either, it’s all of us, that do this. I’ve taken part too, and it’s part of why I’ve stepped back, because I realized I don’t want to be that, don’t want to be a part of that.

My favorite times on this forum is when we were all just geeks talking 3d print. We didn’t fight about AI, or open source. Okay, there has certainly always been something with people bickering, but in general, there have been times where there was a lot stronger of a community on this forum.

I’m tired of it. I just want to talk to people about 3d printing. I want to talk about filament, and colors, and cool models, and crazy ideas about what we can do. I want to talk about new upcoming tech without it devolving into a bunch of fanboys arguing. I wanted to get excited by stuff without someone coming around the corner to crusade against it for one reason or another.

It’s absolutely essential to keep the context in mind here - the very context you’re overlooking.


The thread I started was built on trust. Users reached out to me personally because they trusted me to look into the issue of the point deductions. For many of them, it took a great deal of courage just to speak up in the first place. I’ve received a lot of private messages about this because people trust me.


What you don’t see is the months of work - as many users have confided in me - and the research that went into it, which took a lot of courage on people’s part to even disclose their private numbers.

And the topic was also a partial success, since Bambu responded for the first time in a long while. This never happens otherwise, but thanks to the courageous users who openly shared their numbers, it was mainly due to the community sticking together.

So when someone comes in and calls these people dishonest or bots - even after they’ve had the courage to share their personal statistics - that’s simply counterproductive.


You feel that Ogi3d was treated unfairly, but the reality is that users needed to be protected from him.

  • He demanded disclose information that was none of his business, just to “prove” they weren’t bots.

Why shouldn’t those users be protected? Should their safety and comfort matter less just because Ogi3d happens to be your friend?


The problem is that most people aren’t aware of the context - in this case, that users’ privacy was being protected - but immediately form an opinion. They say, “RetroSharky - oh, he’s part of that group; I can’t stand him anyway.”

The problem is that when you start a thread that relies heavily on trust, and a users jump in and start calling people liars and bots, it can ruin the entire thread.


  • No user has the right to demand disclose information from other users to proof they are not bots.

  • Not everyone may like that, but I stand by my belief that the privacy of users who have provided me with their data is more important than a user who thinks they’re bots or liars.

This is exactly the part why the forum became your place…never in my life i have seen someone living in a scenario like a movie and changing the entire context to their will like George Lucas did.
Even tho im still waiting for all the claims you did against me and you still refuse to provide them even tho i made screenshots of all the things that you said/claimed.

The Topic was point system:
IF
A - claims he/she/it expects more points for the system because he/she/it made models that created a huge eco system of ten thousands of downloads and used up hundreds of kilos of filament.

Im asking “A” okay whats the profile because i want to see that huge eco you created for others

A - Not telling me because he/she/it wants it to be private.

So im not allowed to think thats untruthful and dishonest?

But the point is this Forum is a Mix of Creators that are literally 24/7 on makerworld and people that are more on the forum than on makerworld itself.
So the only logical thing is that the people that spend more time on the forum than on makerworld itself will keep this place their rightful spot no matter what happens if you are right or wrong.
You cant tell me that someone who didnt create 1 model in almost 2 years posted 7 models in a span of 4 years. Acts like he knows how creators feel in Makerworld.

Its the same if a pilot who flew a plane for 2 years straight day and night, i tell him how to fly the plane when i just watched it from the the outside for 20 minutes

This is a question for retrosharky if you are such a “trust” person. Why dont you just trust bambulab that it does everything right and not question it?

Sure, you can say that anytime - no problem.

The problem was the demand. You explicitly demanded data, even though the user told you several times - as did I - that it was none of your business. The demand was the problem.

If you hadn’t brought the demand up, it wouldn’t have escalated, and we’d be getting along great and talking about your awesome projects right now. :+1:

Wait a second. I think i dont understand this clearly. If a user has a internet profile where he provides the services for makerworld and share the models so he can earn his points where the topic is about. Okay? I cant demand to see the profile (Stop acting like i wanted to get his phone number, house location familiy situation) that he uses for makerworld that maybe doesnt get the deserved points or maybe wants the points that are not aligned with his profile?

I need to clarify this point because it’s also extremely important in the context of my other topics:

Yes, many of the affected users have business accounts on MakerWorld, often tied to their own companies, with their address - and in many cases their name - on file. You were essentially asking for information that people understandably prefer not to share publicly on a forum, and I won’t disclose it either.

If users explicitly ask me not to post their MakerWorld accounts, I will always respect that. And it would be good if you did the same, no matter which forum you’re on. It’s also not necessary to reveal every piece of business information just to verify data.


Just take a look at my threads. I have a wide variety of topics that discuss what Bambu does right - but also what it does wrong - and form your own opinion about me.


Of course, it might be difficult now that he’s already formed a negative opinion of me. But I stand by that: It was just a single incident that escalated. But many people here would still be happy if you posted your projects.


I’ll even say it more clearly:

  • I apologize if my choice of words was blunt. I’m sure I could have phrased it more politely.

But an apology from you would also be nice.

  • Anyway, if you’re ready, let’s wrap up this topic here and now. We move on. Post something about your awesome projects. :grin: :+1:

I never doubted that you Carbon, Cinncinnati help other users at all i saw many threads like i said where you 3 have insane technical knowledge and what i saw about cinncinati that he understand every inch of documentation and guidelines no matter if its IP,Trademarks, rules of certain things i have to tip my head because thats insane. But there is where WE drift apart from each other.

I told you last time im a extreme A or B person there is no C in there. Stats/Facts are the only things that i believe it since we Humans tend to lie alot or even try to change scenarios into things that we believe we didnt do wrong. So i ignore emotions and go straight to True/False those words exist for a reason.

There is nothing to move on because there was nothing that went wrong. We are adults who were in a discussion about each other opinions.

In my eyes this forum became too emotional. Feels like early reddit and its gonna become possibly a reddit version tbh. If im not allowed to even demand prove of something someones says and i get forced to behave in a certain way thats pure manipulative and im not the type of person for that.
This is why im saying its your forum (not a bad sense) you have to admit it, you became used to a certain behaviour here that you accept as soon as 1 behaviour doesnt meet that style its wrong in your eyes. Even tho there is no right/wrong in any case there are only different people.

My last question is there a option to delete forum account without having issues on the makerworld account?

@JonRaymond can probably answer that question for you. Jon, please take a look at this - the user has a question about how to delete their account.

Im gonna write him in private so this thread doesnt get extended unnecessary