Tired of the Behavior

Hmmm… Sounds like confirmation bias.

Not going to argue, but that statement reminds me of this…

I do the same. Responses to my topics from certain individuals I’ll read multiple times from different angles wondering if I’m being gaslighted or patronized. It really is uncomfortable at times. It’s ironic both in substance and in name that Discord is a more inviting place.

I get the concept, but the issue is that it can be a slippery slope. Tone is hard to express in written text already.

I feel that some users have defaulted into that tone, instead of taking a post at its face value. Thats dangerous, and not to mention disingenuous.

I always try to default to a neutral tone unless it is glaringly obvious.

Sadly, this is exactly the response I did expect.

A vague and incorrectly used vocabulary term accompanied by a joke video without addressing anything else in the message. Upon scrutiny, someone should be able to see that encouraging others to evaluate the tone of the words you are reading is basic literary comprehension and isn’t indicative that the rest of the message is forfeit.

The idea that multiple people who come to the same conclusion is incorrect and biased simply because it does not make you look good is misguided and should invite you to examine your own biases. Saying “I always try to default to neutral tone” does not guarantee that you do.

I did try pretty hard to shore up any other typical distraction attempts by including disclaimers, not assigning motivations to people, and remaining as faceless as possible, but you did indeed find the one section in the message you could twist into making it sound invalid and so you did.

Hopefully other people can see that the response to a call to action from community leaders being met with a shoddily applied definition and a joke video meant to distract is precisely what the message was aimed at to begin with.

People who refuse self-reflection will often distract by changing focus to someone else, bringing up an unrelated topic, or putting out vaguely smart-sounding terms in hopes that no one looks too closely at it.

Sadly, your response was exactly what I expected. You refuse to acknowledge my point and decide to blow it off as “Vague”, “Incorrect”, “a joke”, and “Shoddily applied”. Not a surprise. You jumped straight towards a negative way of thinking instead of addressing the opinion that was posted.

If you feel like my labelling of confirmation bias was wrong, then take it up with britannica.

If an argument relies entirely on reading between the lines to find insults that you admit are never actually written, it ceases to be an objective critique and becomes an unfalsifiable loop.

Suggesting that people actively audition a demeaning tone until it fits is not basic literary comprehension; it is textbook confirmation bias. You cannot demand accountability from community members while asserting that the absence of explicit evidence is itself the evidence.

On a more personal note, It is ironic to post a multi-paragraph lecture demanding high accountability and transparency from active community members while choosing to hide behind a throwaway alt to do it. You claim that established contributors use their standing to dodge consequences, yet you purposefully stripped yourself of any reputation, history, or standing so you could level sweeping accusations without putting your own name on the line. Accountability is a two-way street. If you want prominent users to take your critique seriously, have the conviction to stand behind your words on your primary account rather than throwing stones from behind a disposable profile.

I don’t think you could have written a more accurate response that follows the problematic characterization I outlined above if you had tried.

What I did was encourage people to evaluate the tone of the messages, and then followed it by saying my own personal evaluations tended to result in the same vein. Those are two separate ideas and they are separated in what I wrote. Confirmation bias does not apply here, no matter how many times you want to twist my words.

My argument is not really to call others to comb through the forums and look at all of your words, but it’s a nice side goal I suppose. I mentioned it because that is what I have done over the years for you and others in order to get the most complete and informed picture of your BL forum persona before even making a comment on it.

The real goal is to attempt to break through yours and other’s mindsets to see that you are perpetuating a real problem that applies to the community as a whole, and this is a plead to change and improve.

We both know if I didn’t try to stay anonymous, you would look for anything in my profile to attack or switch topics to. Your responses show me that you are the kind of person (online at least) that will search for any tiny crack in the armor, any vulnerability, any possible diversion you can think of to slip past the content of what someone is saying to avoid taking accountability. The fact that you reference being unable to see my real profile tells me you are quite intent on weaponizing it and have little interest in the content of what I have written.

Again. Dangerous assumptions. Thinking in the most negative way you can.

The point is that you have most likely created this account for the sole purpose of creating issues, and through that you are creating a hypocritical double standard.

I agree with Cincinnati’s distinction between disagreeing with someone and reporting inappropriate behavior. People can have different opinions without being accused of belonging to a group or having bad intentions.

The concern I have with this entire topic is that it criticizes personal attacks and piling on, yet uses broad accusations and personal remarks to make its case. That repeats the very behavior it’s asking people to stop and makes it harder to have a constructive discussion.

(post deleted by author)

Confirmation bias is where one only seeks out information that confirms what one already believes while avoiding information that does not. Kind of like how some are having such a hard time coming to grips with the subject at hand.

That more than one person witness the same behavior is not confirmation bias.

“Please judge, you can’t believe all five eyewitness, they must all have confirmation bias.”

I guess on the plus side, this whole thread happily illustrates the very behaviour we can be tired of.

Come on man, I literally liked a britannica article explaining confirmation bias.

confirmation bias, people’s tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with their existing beliefs.

joe-biden-cmon-man

I’m going to complain on the internet and no one can stop me!

IMG_3813

1 Like

You still don’t seem to grasp the idea that anyone in the community should be able to offer commentary and criticism of members’ conduct without needing qualifications - this isn’t a technical discussion or an experiential moment. We are all already on equal footing when it comes to conduct, there is no need for a consideration that includes the magnitude of your community contributions.

Having an account that is only here to read is not a violation of the rules. I did not characterize my account as a throwaway, as I genuinely use it to seek out information, usage of that term came from Cincinnati. There is nothing in the rules about having multiple accounts either, and I am not impersonating anyone.

The punching down you do in your response is the exact thing I was calling out - “You’re sharp enough to spot the mistake in your reasoning”. This is what is called a backhanded compliment, which is something intended to be condescending. This is a common pattern across your writing style in this forum and leads me to believe that you are indeed doing this on purpose.

Your entire comment addresses the “issue” of my anonymity and is now several comments in a row that fail (intentionally or otherwise) to respond to my actual initial comment that included criticism of forum leader conduct. People who do not genuinely self-reflect and change will cast their eyes across every aspect of a situation so they may seize one and home in on it, avoiding the true content of the message so they may escape any accountability or responsibility.

As a response to Cincinnati, your immediate hostility towards me based solely on my anonymity continues to add the idea that you certainly want to know my details so that you may attack them. “The point is that you have most likely created this account for the sole purpose of creating issues, and through that you are creating a hypocritical double standard.” Interesting that you refer to a call for better conduct as “creating issues”, that is in itself somewhat telling.

As I said before, I have a lot of internet forum experience and the people who simply respond to you by saying “I won’t respond to you if I don’t know who you are” are the ones who can’t truly defend their ideas, they want a larger angle of attack. It’s tantamount to investigating the background of a constituent to find dirt on them when they stand up and call for better behavior from their representatives. If there’s anyone who has invited more scrutiny than is typical on this forum, it is people like you with your vast contributions. This automatically holds you to a higher standard due to your visibility and earned respect from a technical and experiential standpoint, but you don’t seem to want to take the responsibility of steering properly when more than one of your passengers says you are making a wrong turn.

All this to say, I know that by finally opening my mouth here I am intentionally getting into your arena, where you are very comfortable with your style of “arguing”. This already puts me at a disadvantage because I for one do not enjoy the subtle mudslinging and turns of phrase you two employ, and it drags me down every time I respond here.

Your immediate thought was probably something like “well then stop responding!”, and I will because I do not have the patience to slug it out with you all day long. I don’t spend every day on this forum. It’s almost like trying to prepare for a debate, when you have to follow the rules and the other side doesn’t.

It just felt like no one had every actually called out your behavior without becoming emotional, something you two would always use to discredit and distract. Hopefully this stands as an example of how someone can say something that stands on its own.

In summary, a call for better community conduct from leaders is met with hostility, denial, distraction, and a surprising amount of demand for personal details. The result is a disappointing let down after initially being so excited for an active 3D printing forum.

I won’t respond after this, which you will surely take as an opportunity to have the last word. But unless that last word is some kind of positive outcome and embracing my initial message, it won’t mean anything.

To be honest this becomes funnier and funnier as i wait for the BambuLab support to enable the delete button on my profile. :rofl:

@3dEd , on a man to man note, this is the problem.

Call it confirmation bias or not, Bias is a huge issue here. For example, you immediately framed my post as “Typical Conservative BS”, or B_L_Account immediately framing my other posts as “Hostile”. Or even you framing Britannica as a bad source because it is capitalized.

I wont quibble about what type of bias it is. The important part is preexisting bias being carried over, this leads to the actual content of posts being diminished.

I am tired of that behavior.

Do you see what I am saying here?

It is watching the scary movie with funny music.

With respect, we all need to be better at this. Judge the content of a discussion instead of the person who posted it.

I can agree there are some users that tend to cause some issues. But I will still judge what they say based on the text that is written. For example, I could have started this post by saying “Typical Liberal BS” and went on a rant about that.

I can see what you mean by them trying to “dominate the conversation”, it can be tiring, but I see it more of the side of them being a highly engaged user. I have had to say multiple times to them to “let it go”. You cant hold onto these things too close or it will drive you insane.