Two old dogs needing some guidance

Bambu P1S, 2 weeks old. It has been printing fantastic and we have been very pleased with the printer. Then it happened.

While printing Arch One from the Maker World file “Rainbow Bridge for Pet” using filament Amolen duel color red/orange, (Which we made several vases with and they turned out great) the machine decided to Blob. There were no alarms and it continued to whir and click just like any other print until we received an error “Head cover fell off”. I turned around in the chair to look and this is what I saw.

The blob is so large and solid it cracked the head cover, as you can see in the 2nd picture. The entire extruder head is locked up tight under a layer of filament. I attempted to use a heat gun to see if I could carefully remove the blob but it’s not budging as it is wrapped around and through the head cover.

The build plate is wiped every 3rd print and we have used this file and filament repeatedly with no issues until now. I would just return it but it is one day past the 14 day warranty and the response I received on the trouble ticket I submitted was less than hope generating.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The printer didn’t cause this. Adhesion did.
I’ve had filament I use regularly just not stick to a plate on a print. Usually just clean the plate again and level. This came off the plate and stuck to the nozzle. It happens, to all printers. Return it if you’d like but this wasn’t a fault of the printer.

Edit: I see now how you cracked the cover. When you said extruder cover I was thinking of something else.

As for every third print, well I’ve gone longer. It really comes down to temp (sometimes in the room), If any oils from you got on the plate, if the last print left residue on the plate, I’m sure you can see. I keep a bottle of 99% IPA near the printer and a lint free cloth. I wipe down the plate more often than I actually clean at the sink.

2 Likes

You are correct on all accounts. My return the printer is not because it is a poor product but because it’s useless in this state and Bambu does not seem to be as quick to help as they are to take your money when you order.

I do say that bottom line it is a printer issue as the bed plate is theirs and we are wiping more frequently than recommended with alcohol and there is no sensor to tell you when this is occuring. but regardless I can’t get a return authorization without their return number either so pretty much we’re just out the cash. It’s a shame that such a good product has non-existant customer support, but life is good and lesson learned.

I’m just thankful it didn’t catch fire with as black as the filament looks.

2 Likes

You can fix that easily and cheaply if you wished to do so. The cover is $20. The nozzle can be cleaned and you may be able to reuse the thermistor and heater, If not a hotend isn’t that much.

I get it you feel like blaming the bed or other factors, but this exact thing happens to nearly every printer at some point. It’s like a right of passage.

They’re not going to give you a good reply because they won’t see this as a warranty issue. It really isn’t. I know you want to return it but if you take the time to fix this I think you’ll really enjoy it. It’s up to you though.

Wouldn’t have caught fire. There’s thermal protection in place. just toasted the
filament

Ceramic Heater & Thermistor - P1 Series | Bambu Lab US If you keep the printer you should have some of these on hand.

(Complete Hotend, just install it. 2 screws and done)

Hope this helps you out.

2 Likes

Thank you John for your reply and time. If I was a younger man I would gladly tackle the task of trying to replace it all, but being in my 60’s, the eye sight and steady hands just aren’t in my corner anymore. I really wish they were. We bought this one because of the ease of use, and it really was. I truly believe it is a great printer and good product and I wouldn’t sway anyone from purchasing one.

Unfortunatley, technology zipped past us long ago and I can barely operate my phone, much less try to start replacing components. Hehehehehe.

Have a great day sir, and I do appreciate your insight and input. ::Salute::

1 Like

I’ll see if I can find a youtube video or better yet, bribe the kid across the street :). Thank you so much for your motivation and time.

2 Likes

Lol, I think you underestimate yourself. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you need any help.

1 Like

Same here ask any question you have. I’m from south Louisiana. There is quite a lot of us guys that can help you @Swamp_Fox_Creations. I’m north of 60 years old also. I know how ya feel. :rofl:

1 Like

Based on this photo below. It’s clear that your silicone sock was either torn or missing.

This happened to me just two weeks ago. I had been printing and did not notice that I failed to remove the prior part and of course, the head dragged over the other part. I stopped it immediately and ran some tests and all looked OK. What I did not notice was that the sock was torn behind the nozzle. Over the next couple of days, I was getting blobbing. Upon disassembly the print head, once I had a clear view, I could easily see the torn sock.

Once the sock is compromised, filament is free to accumulate on the tip of the nozzle. Eventually it will work it’s way underneath the sock and display the results you showed in your photographu

Here’s some examples of the photos I took from my experience.

forgive the blurriness on this one.

Here you can see how filament accumulated under the sock once it was torn. A new sock was next to it for comparison.

There is a paint-on material I have been wanting to try. What has held me back is that it’s very expensive and all the reviews I’ve seen stated it does not really provide a better protection than a silicone sock. This material by slice engineering was developed well before silicone socks were common place.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DZ69MYD/

On the subject of being in your 60s.

Hey brother. As a fellow baby boomer, I have to umbrage with the way you cast 60 year olds. I mean sweet Jesus guys, you make it sound like once one is eligible for Medicare your nuts fall off. :yum:

At my age, I feel I have an edge over less experienced folks. I find that my skills are sharper than ever before. Each day is a new adventure and I learn something new every time I visit this and other technology forums.

Think about it. All throughout our lives, how many times growing up did you see somebody doing a job that required some kind of skill, like sweating copper pipes or bricklaying, and thought, ‘Hey, that doesn’t look that hard’? YouTube alone has given me the confidence to tackle problems I’d never have thought to try solely because I watch how other people performed that task.

I credit my mental acuity and problem solving skills primarily because I exercise my brain daily. Is my memory perfect? Of course not but that’s why I rely on Google. The more I’m challenged the sharper my skills become. So please don’t sell yourself and fellow baby boomers short… “We got this!!!”

One of the epiphanies I experienced was back in 2008 when I repaired my first iPhone. I didn’t even think about it; I just went on the web, found a place where I could order a touch screen, and figured it out. My teenagers at the time were amazed because they had never seen someone take something so expensive apart with such abandon. After they said that, I realized that I did feel a huge rush knowing there is little I could not repair, assuming I could get parts. 3D printing is that rush but every day!!!

The take away here is, don’t ever give up. We can do anything we set our minds to!!! :trophy:

2 Likes

On the hotend. I had a brand new hardened steel one I installed that worked for a few prints and then had the same thing happen. When I pulled off the plastic, the problem turned out to be a nozzle that was bent at just above the sock, leaving a gap the plastic slowly oozed out of. It had never bottomed out, so that didn’t cause it. Sent pics of the hotend, before and after removing the plastic, and both sides of the build plate to prove it hadn’t hit the plate. BL sent me a new replacement that I got in 5 days.

Too funny. I’m still working at 65. I enjoy what I do. I teach martial arts and consistently work 20, 30, and 40 year olds into the floor. One student said, “I can’t believe that we’re all gasping for air and you’re barely breathing hard.”
When they saw me doing fingertip pushups, it blew the younger adults minds. Then they saw my 82 year old teacher and were in awe. One of them said and others agreed, “I never would have thought anyone that age could be able to move that fast, or that powerful, and have that much balance”. So yeah, I agree with your view.:wink:

In fact, the 40 and 50 year olds told me they’ve decided to change their mindset on what is physically possible as they age after seeing my teacher ( a 6’2" Texan).:+1:
I was influenced over the years by seeing a man almost 20 years older than me, that still moved like someone in his early forties when he hit his sixties and later.

2 Likes

OK hahaha. Well 1st things 1st, Thank you all so much for the motivation and the stories of similar melt-downs on your end. I’ve read them all as well as the directed Wiki’s and I’ve ordered the parts, except for the head cover which is out of stock until sometime in May.

Now onto the more pressing matter of being in our 60’s hahahaha. I’m certainly not doing fingertip push-ups, I had enough push-ups in my military stint hehehehe. I am however an established wildlife local photographer and birding guide, just finished a screenplay that is being considered called KOE, and do scale models for clients, currently I’m working on a 1/350 scale USS Constellation “What-if” build. I actually enjoy being this age and retired more than I think any other season of my life. That being said, technology and fixing stuff like printers has always been a challenge for me. I have the worst luck and am a grand master screw stripper. :slight_smile: Besides if I was any other age, I wouldn’t have been raised outside, drinking from the garden hose, playing football in the street and riding at 55mph with no seatbelts while my brother and I wrestled in the back of the station wagon :).

But I digress. Once I get the parts I’ll update this thread and show you just how inept I can be with technology.

Keep the faith and thank you to all.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree with you more!

As for the hot end change out. Order the complete assembly with the thermistor, sock and heater cable. With al the plastic you had coating the hot end, you have the possibility of taking out the thermistor being a real bear.

Just take your time. The skills it takes to build the models you mentioned show you have the dexterity, and don’t try to force anything. Heck running the wires is less difficult than doing rigging on a sailing ship.

Quick tip. I use the interface to move the bed down about half way, and the print head forward, so it sits in the middle before killing the power. I then set a tupperware container about 8x8 inches on the build plate in case I drop a screw. It’s also worthwhile to take the top off and shine a lamp or work light in the printer. Or use a bright headlamp.

1 Like

I think you don’t give yourself enough credit - I’m in my 60’s and decided a long time ago that I wasn’t going to let age get me down - and there’s no reason for you to either. :wink:

I’ve been printing for about 5 years now, and I love my P1S - it’s a great printer and John is not wrong about what he says. it’s really easy to fix the problem… it may seem insurmountable - but, I’ll tell you this - they built this printer to be able to be serviced by pretty much any and everyone. they did a great job in making this printer very reliable and serviceable. And that’s why I can tell you - it’s not above your skill set.

Just take a day or so and when you’re ready to try - just search for the instructions for the maintenance that you need to do (Change the front cover; change the hotend… etc.) It is rather simple and actually not that complicated.

This is a hobby type thing we’re doing here, and hobbies are full of tinkering and stuff… you’re making great prints - make yourself great and put a bit of yourself into it. :slight_smile: You’ll feel awesome when it’s printing again and you know you’re the one who got it working that way. (nothing else feels as good - believe me.)

2 Likes

parts just arrived. here goes nothing :slight_smile:

1 Like