Update for the A1 Heatbed Recall in Europe

Yes it does apply to the UK also, its called BS EN 50678:2020.

1 Like

how can you not get an answer in 2 months on something sent out yesterday.

Good question. I’ve 2 open tickets regarding to the heatbed cable problem which doesn’t got any answer in the last 2 months. This last email was just salt in the wound.

if you’ve received that email you clearly got a reply since you’ve selected an option of what you wanted to do.

Thank you for the conversation. I haven’t had this much fun since I left 9gag. :smiley:

1 Like

So the current process is now

• send us the replacement heat bed.
  • we install it.
  • we send Bambu 3 pics because we might not be competent enough to do it correctly.

The next bit I doubt most people will do

• Bambu sends us a shipping label
  • We ship the completed bed to a Third party (which may get lost or damaged on the way)
  • Third party tests it
  • Third party sends it back to us (which may get lost or damaged on the way)

What a mess you have created!

Why not instead just send the whole lower half of the printer with the new bed and cable already installed by yourselves?

Surely its the cheaper, safer and the faster option.

4 Likes

How does sending 3 photographs change anything?

Everyone has an android or apple handphone with a camera. Do you call it a handphone in Europe? Who knows? That’s not important right now.

Worst thing is you send 3 photos, Bambu says “that’s not right, put wire X here instead” and you do that, and send more photos. You’re also getting your repair work verified the manufacturer’s technicians; many times I’ve been unsure about whether something I’ve done is OK or not and didn’t want to pay to get it checked by a certified engineer.

I’m at a loss to understand the additional controversy caused by this step.

3 Likes

Just a wishful thought, maybe the returned A1 can resell as refurbished model like Apple does. Customer get replaced with new model ones for the best experiences instead of DIY fix.

My guess is that people are regretting picking option B and are trying to get a shot at option A again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

There is no issue with taking pictures to send them and no one has said there is.

As it needs to be verified by there Techs as you put it this shows there is a level of competency required to undertake this or it could be dangerous. This is why the European Regs exist.

My point is that not everyone will do it correctly, not everyone will send them pics, not everyone will send it to be certified.

So how do you make sure its Safe for all?

Well they could take it out of the consumers hands and just replace the lower half, simplifying the whole process.

1 Like

yes

Not everyone but sure, some. Great step to make sure it’s done right.

You’d be surprised how hard it is for some people to follow easy instructions, now imagine a more involved process.

Good, don’t see a problem.

A third party that checks your work and certifies it - free of charge, great.

Same risk as the initial order of your printer or the shipment of the replacement heatbed to you.

That’s good. Safety and all, remember the reason for the recall?

At no cost to you- great.

Same risk as the initial order of your printer or the shipment of the replacement heatbed to you

4 Likes

This is the way to do it.

People already knew the printer was dangerous, and that electrical work was required on a device that could catch fire if the work was not done properly - because that was the original problem that started all of this. One assumes those that were concerned about this would have requested the refund?

I agree that replacement of a complete part would be better. It does however, seem like now is an odd time for this issue to suddenly arise.

I listed the steps so that its clear, not because I had an issue with each individual section. More to show the potential cost to Bambu over just sending the lower half in first place.

So It all sounds rosy doesn’t it unless you want a working printer any time soon. Lets not forget there is still no ETA of when any of this is going to happen or how long it will take till everyone has the new bed. Its very possible it will be longer than bambu have originally planned and there could be delays with testing. Hell they may even find another problem when testing it.

The list of steps involved must be costing Bambu a fortune in man hours, Third party testing, the numerous shipping to and from the customer, themselves and the third party plus the vouchers and refunds. As for lost or damaged in transit while yes as you point out the same risk applied to the original order or the heat bed replacement, but you are now multiplying that chance making it more likely. Again equating to more costs, more delays.

Is their way the simplest for them or the consumer - Not by any stretch of the imagination

Can it really be cheaper than just replacing the entire lower half of the printer?

Do you have a link to the relevant documentstion, as when I do a google search, the page that it suggest just returns a 404 error. I also cant find any reference on the BSI website in the Electrical & Electronic section.

I have also found something to suggest that the standard has been withdrawn

https://standardsdevelopment.bsigroup.com/projects/2018-02395#/section

It would appear you are correct. I cannot seem to find anything post 2021 on it except that it was withdrawn on the BSI site and doesn’t seem to be anything on the HSE site either.

I have no idea if this was replaced or incorporated into another regulation or just simply scrapped

This is the info from the updated support tickets:

For European customers, in compliance with the requirements of the European harmonized standard EN 50678 (General procedure for verifying the effectiveness of the protective measures of electrical equipment after repair), the A1 should be checked by an Electrically Skilled Person before connecting with a power source and switching it on again.

For any sparky’s in the UK, has anyone confirmed if a PAT test is sufficient to cover the req standard?

sorry, but bambu lab did lose it completely this time. it‘s absolutely bonkers to expect eu customers to pay for a third party certificate - that eu regulation is not exactly new. so, why offer self replacement as an option to eu customers in the first place?! i chose this option because this wasn’t communicated back then. besides, good luck to anyone trying to get a certification of that kind in germany. bambu lab doesn’t even supply the necessary technical documentation to do so.

1 Like

You should starting reading.

From section 6 of that A1 email:

" If you deem necessary, Bambu Lab will offer you to send in and have the test conducted on your A1 PRINTER by professional personnel and have it sent back to you free of cost."

2 Likes