Usage of Bambu Lab Logo on Models

Hey everyone,

I’ve noticed a trend with fan articles featuring brands like Bambu Lab, but lately, I’ve been feeling concerned about the excessive use of Bambu Lab logos. It seems like they’re being slapped onto every model without much consideration. Often, they’re placed poorly, without adequate spacing or proportion.

I believe if the authors had consulted Bambu Lab’s marketing department, they would likely have advised against it. It gives the impression that these models are officially endorsed by Bambu Lab, especially when they match the brand’s colors in their renderings.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

1 Like

I’ve seen the logo been used on things that doesn’t even come close to 3D printing.

A too strict protection of it would be sad but it’s hard to stay pragmatic when people aren’t making sensible use of the slack you give. Bambu specifically warned about this already, so they could take a massive amount of models down at any time they get fed up with it.

1 Like

Full disclosure, I created an accessory box for the Bambu printers that has their logo on it.

I think it’s desirable and warranted to have accessories with the Bambu logo on it. Uhh, let me clarify there real quick. Accessories for the Bambu printers, haha. As a company, it does them good to allow that. It’s marketing of their brand amongst their fans. Just like all the cosplay peeps that get to go crazy with those marvel IPs or whatever (You know, within reason).

There is a point though where it’s like really? Did we need that random item with a Bambu logo on it? Like I saw a drill holder/cabinet thing. Uhh, I mean if I wanted that branded in anything I’d think I’d want it branded to match my drills.

So, I obviously would be upset if Bambu put down a blanket ban on using their logo. There’s certainly some mis-use though and that’s unfortunate because it muddies the waters where more reasonable use is being made of their branding and logo for fan made projects.

6 Likes

I asked MakerWorld in January and got the following answer:

MakerWorld
2024-01-15 09:33:49
Hi MplusM,
Thank you for your reply.
We want you to know that models will not be taken down for the reason that the model has the Bambu Lab logo on it.

Best regards,
MakerWorld

3 Likes

I thought I read an older thread around here somewhere that went into more detail about this issue. From what I recall, the issue wasn’t that people were putting the Bambu logo on their models but rather that they were superimposing the Bambu logo onto the pictures of their models, giving people the impression that it is an official Bambu model.

I can fully second that.

If I look at the accessory box you mentioned. This is a good example and I think every Bambu Lab employee can agree on that. It´s a thoughtfully crafted model, giving the Logo a reason to be on there, it makes sense to be there. The logo placement is good, evenly spaced an item a fan could be proud of to name their own.

Yours is only one of the good examples that are out there. There are a lot - I like them. And I think in the context of the models, it’s mostly accessory-related they make good use of it.

But there is also the other side, like you mentioned. I came across a remix of a model of mine. The only question I have here is, what did they do to you? Unevenly spaced, it´s just badly slapped onto it.

It´s the same for this model:

I don’t want to talk about current trending models, but let’s maybe talk about stacking containers. I would love to have an option to have a logo on some to sort my stuff. But on every container? What is the point of this? If you have a sorting box, every box has the label “Bambu Lab”. There is not even a version without a logo.

There are Skadis models, where there are cutouts in the middle of the logo.

It´s about the usage of “Without reason”.

Placement is everything. Not everyone is trying to mislead their audience, and I strongly believe if Bambu has a problem with something, they will take action. I have used their logo on one of my creations and really took my time to make sure it was properly placed on my model. My creations that use company logos, I feel it is clear that I am honoring their brand and showing appreciation.

At the end of the day, how does it affect you? Were you personally aggrieved?

These might’ve been using the Makerworld Logo. The usage of that is not allowed according to the guidelines.

2 Likes

I think where they are concerned with using their logo is if someone is trying to pretend to represent Bambu Labs by saying it’s an “official” model and uses their logo.

1 Like

I think it´s a mixture of a feeling of being misled and confronted with junk. I fully second that not everyone is trying to mislead here. As mentioned before I have no general problem with the usage of the logo but does it need to be placed really on everything?

I would love to see at least some guidelines attached to the logo usage.
Here are some examples, and I wish for more open rules. But some would be nice to avoid junk being uploaded and avoid false advertisements.

Examples:

https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/design

https://about.meta.com/brand/resources/facebook/logo/

Didn’t BL release a statement about using their logo because it would make those models appear like they were original BL products?

They did mention it in one of their recent announcements on Maker World. I do believe the intent of the announcement was to make designers clean up and remove words and images that have the purpose to mislead users into believing that the designers or models were somehow “official” or “exclusive”, etc. Basically get rid of all of the sleazy salesmen tactics.

7、Misleading logos: For example, using official logos like “bambu,” “bambu lab,” “bambu recommend,” etc, without proper authorization can mislead users and create false trust.

That’s pretty vague, so I can see why we’re having this discussion now. Nowhere in their community guidelines does it say you can’t use Bambu Labs logo, just that you can’t use Maker World’s logo and can’t contain “Misinformation”. The way I see it is if the intent is to mislead people by using the Bambu Labs logo, then it can be taken down. If the intent is to use the logo as a decoration or to highlight that it is designed for Bambu printers, then you aren’t trying to mislead people.

1 Like

Yeah! People were using the makerworld/bambu logos in their branding, and even faking the featured and exclusive tags. It was very much misleading. You’re right in that

1 Like

And how should Bambu feel about random “makers” inappropriately slapping poorly rendered Bambu logos on any items at their discretion? If a wood carver thinks your business logo is very artsy fartsy, should they be able to embed it in their own carving projects? How would Apple Computer feel about an apple grower using their logo on the apple grower’s next harvest of apples? Especially if those apples are the worst tasting in the history of apples? Those logos are not free for the taking, independent makers just do it anyway for their own gain. It “might” be less objectionable in some circles if an end user downloads a model, slaps on a logo of their choosing, strictly for their own enjoyment, and without the intent to further distribute or sell the altered model. Just my 2 cents…