Using AMS when exporting and printing GCODE-files (not 3MF!)

I trying to figure out if it possible using AMS (Lite) when exporting and printing GCODE files (manually transferred to SD card). I’m using A1mini. When I select 3MF file, there is an option “Use AMS”. But when GCODE file is selected there is no such option and the entire AMS related lines in the GCODE seams to be ignored.
Is multi color printing with exported GCODE not possible generally? Or have I missed something?

FYI: I’m asking because in my specific use-case there are some constrains and I have to use explicitly GCODE files and can’t use 3MF.

I can only speak for X1C, but when I put a gcode file on its SDC and print it from the touch screen, I get a dialog similar to what you’d get in Bambu Studio: Checkboxes for ABL, AMS, Timeshift and even the filament matching stuff.

I may be missing the issue. Sorry.
To be clear, you upload a g-code to the SD card, and when printing, the printer misinterprets the g-code and doesn’t use the AMS (uses external spool?) or uses the AMS but ignores the filament swap?
Or doesn’t it show you an option to select the AMS, as in the slicer, and you didn’t try to print?

If the latter, you can evaluate the g-code file in Bambu Studio and preview it to confirm the use of multiple filaments. If true, the printer will read and interpret the g-code correctly.

Thanks for the info. Good to know that it works on x1. Looks like it’s an A1 limitation. I’m curious about how p1 series behaves.

Sorry for being unclear in my post.
I slice an object in slicer (BBS or Orca) and assign a PLA spool from one of AMS slots.

Then I export a 3MF and start from SD card using printers screen. Printer asks if I want use AMS. I confirm. Print starts, AMS load filament, leveling, printing, print ends, AMS retract filament.

Same procedure, but this time using GCODE file. I execute the file using screen UI. Printer doesn’t ask about AMS. Print starts, AMS does nothing, leveling, printer stops reporting error because no filament is loaded.

This is what I mean saying printer ignores AMS related gcode lines.

No need to… I was just confused.

By opening the g-code file in Orca, can you confirm that it entails the selected filament(s) from the AMS? Since .3mf works, you may compare the g-codes of both files. Or use the .3mf embedded g-code file to print (for testing, not as final solution).

Yes, AMS related gcode lines are in the file. I even extracted a gcode file from the 3mf and it turned out to be exactly the same as the exported gcode file (I compared both files using npp code editor).

When you say “export to 3mf” do you mean like “Export plate sliced file” in the slicer? Maybe the A1 is no different from the X1C then, because what I meant with my comment was the above: Whether using “send” from the slicer or exporting a “plate sliced file” and putting it on the SDC, I get a “.gcode.3mf” file which will let me choose filament at print time.

I think I have had this happen once(!) but didn’t quite understand what I did differently. In this case, how did you produce the gcode file? Did you extract it from that “.gcode.3mf” and then send that file only?

I think I recall Orca had this a bit differently. Maybe that’s it? I’ll check it out.

I get a “.gcode.3mf” file which will let me choose filament at print time

Yes, on 3MF (or let it call .GCODE.3MF) I also have the ability enabling AMS on print start. My particular constrain is that I limited to using GCODE files only (not packaged into 3MF).
Would be great if you could test a “plain” gcode file exported from BBS or Orca on your X1. On BBS you can get it by going to “File > Export > Export Gcode”. In Orca it’s available in the upper right drop down.

That was it - I think we’re on the same page now. In both slicers, if you use “Send”, the file that lands on printer’s card will be called “.gcode.3mf” and is consequently a 3MF file also including G-code.

If you instead “Export plate sliced file”, you will get the exact same thing (but on your local computer) and Bambu Studio will still call it “.gcode.3mf” while Orca just calls it “.3mf” even though it also contains G-code.

The third option is currently only available in Orca: “Export G-code file”. I take it that one is what does not work for you, and likely what also did not work for me that once. I can confirm it contains identical G-code to what is included in the 3MF alternative. I was confused for a while because it’s larger than the .gcode.3mf, but that is only because the latter is zip compressed.

So the X1C seems to have the exact same problem as the A1. Apparently something in the 3MF (.gcode.3mf) is needed for getting that AMS functionality.

For me, .3mf and .gcode are different files, independent of the content.
According to @Dill the issue relates to the .gcode file, which I can export from Bambu Studio (not only available on Orca).

If I get it, you verified that this file disregards AMS when used in the X1C.