Using multicolor 3MF files not working?

I’ve been trying to load and print some multicolor models, so that I don’t have to paint and color them all in Bambu Studio myself, and I’m confused why it’s not working. One example is Printables. It loads fine in PrusaSlicer with all material colors clearly separated, but Bambu Studio shows an error trying to open the file, “The 3mf is not from Bambu Lab, load geometry data only” and it loads as a single combined object.

I definitely understand there is some other information in the file specific to PrusaSlicer and the MMU there, but the basic object/part/color data should be able to be preserved, right? Having to go back in and recolor everything feels really inefficient.

It is possible to use any multicolor models already created out there? If Bambu Studio only works with its own multicolor models that seems extremely limiting, most prebuilt models will be for general use, not Bambu specifically…

bambu works at this moment only with there own multicolor and 3MF files
so other files from other slicers wont work , the data is different so bambuslicer can only read the geometry of those files and not the “colored” parts

no idea why , but if i need to make a guess has it to do with how the AMS and multicolors are assigned
with prusaslicer you add more “toolheads/nozzles” and a checkbox for single color
with bambustudio you add more spools and always sinlge nozzle

as the bambu also support 16 colors over 4 ams units so there should be a real big difference in that part as else there system wont even work if there is no difference in how it can handle 4 differend untis to operate as a single unit

anyway that is just my thinking , could be complete wrong to ofcourse :smiley:

3 Likes

Makes a lot of sense, I wouldn’t quite expect it all to work automagically. But since Bambu Studio and PrusaSlicer share a common code base (BS is a fork of PS) it really ought to be that the common aspects can be preserved pretty easily. Each part of the model that’s associated with different toolheads/nozzles are still distinct, and could be kept separate and just randomly assigned filaments/colors. At least then you could adjust and reassign. Combining the geometry all down to a single merged object should be entirely unnecessary. Similarly, whether the particular printer has 5 (MMU) or 4 (single AMS) or up to 16 (AMS + hub) doesn’t affect the model and the slicing software, that’s something you can adjust after you load the model. Maximum # of output colors is independent of reading the model into the software.

1 Like

bambu slicer is not 100% the same as prusa , it use code from prusa so thats why it need to release a source code and give credits

it is differend then superslicer as that one is a direct fork from prusa slicer so it use there base and follow there version just wiht more options
same as softfever is a direct fork from bambuslicer, so those are almost the same
but bambuslicer is not the same as prusa slicer , maybe just the core

so while i fully understand and i also love to have that option ,i got no idea if it is even compatible with each other at this moment , but based t hat it can only import geometry i guess it is not even compatible , not sure if it ever will

I didn’t suggest it was the same? I believe I suggested the share a common code base, and they do share common code. Sharing code doesn’t mean that all code is shared, just that there is shared code, the parts they have in common ;-).

From a file format standpoint and a computational standpoint, the 3mf file from Prusa Slicer has the object data to clearly differentiate the different regions of the model, and whether they are mapped to different toolheads or filaments or colors is independent of whether that data is common and can be easily leveraged by any slicer app. Given that the data is available in the file format, and given the common code, it shouldn’t be too much of a stretch to think that it’s likely something they haven’t had time to support yet, but could easily be supported. The data is there, the code is there, just likely requires mapping it to a different multiple filament construct. It’s highly unlikely it just isn’t compatible; the 3mf format is shared and common.

Thank you for this explanation, it helped me understand more about how project archives can contain files whose content is platform specifalized – or more generally can be customized to support different vendor design visions and hardware.

Is there still no way to provide already colored 3mf files to bambu studio? I’ve have a project where many small areas of a flat surface must be colored differently. Would like to do this in my CAD software and carryover the colored areas to bambu studio. Splitting the whole model into several pieces for each area would by far be too time-consuming.
So far the only workaround I see is designing the areas with an elevation relative to each other that is large enough so that I can select each areain the slicer yet small enough so that it doesn’t mess up my print and gets ignored / interpreted as one flat surface by the printer. Would you consider this feasible and the best available option?
Thanks for your thougths.

I wrote a little macro using KeyMaestro on MacOS to make Bambu Studio automatically assign extruders/colours based on the STL name - it is fairly reliable as long as there aren’t too many plates,

Details are here in the form of a feature request. [Feature Request]. Colouring of STLs based on name

I also have a complimentary fusion 360 macro that automatically names exported STL files based on assigned appearance colours if anyone is interested,

2 Likes

Also a nice workaround (although it’s sad that it’s necessary), but the problem in my case would still be that there is no borders on the surface that could be selected to define a certain area.

I now solved the problem using very small grooves I designed in the CAD model to kind of steer how the STL facets get generated. I now can color the desired areas and hope the grooves get ignored by the printer.

Picking back up on this topic, 3MF seems to also include besides color, actual physical finish data and there is some standardization from some apps. For example, Keyshot, which is a professional rendering app for doing CMF, exports 3MF files that all Stratasys 3D printers’ slicer is compatible with (GrabCAD), these files include full color textures and solid colors, and even specifiers like transparent material - which the Stratasys J55 Prime printer can print directl. While obviously we aren’t expecting full color textures, displacement maps, nor roughness to work, at the very least solid color bodies should be “convertible” in some way if not directly readable.
This capability would save people a LOT of work, and we know it is totally possible just hasn’t been easy or looked into much it seems. @BambuLab this is a huge capability to break into the manufacturing sector where stratasys and mimaki eat up market share but there’s a gray gap area where Bambu could take it.