What printer for a 13 year old?

Ok. My friends son, who’s 13, would like a 3d printer. She knows nothing about 3d printers so has asked me. She doesn’t want to spend loads, £400 max. He has done nothing with 3d printing before.

Yes I know there would be lots of options but I’d like the opinions of people here.

Initially I’m thinking the Bambu A1 Combo or Centauri 2 Combo. Only printing PLA or PETG

I know the A1 is good, now that they have sorted out the component self combusting.. It’s multi-coloured, the nozzle is easy to swap. Just not a fan of a bed slinger.

The Centauri 2 Combo. Again, multi-coloured, CoreXY. good price..

Any thoughts?

First choice for a first timer would be the A1 combo. Second choice, if getting more knowledgeable and demanding, would be the P2… Centauri 2 combo would be the 3rd choice (price wise vs capabilities)

I am an 86 year old kid with an A1 combo and knew nothing about 3D printing before I bought this one and started printing fun things as soon as I set it up, right out of the box. He may need some help putting it together and using a computer to connect to it, but if he is a technical savvy teenager, he should be ok.

I know nothing about the Centauri, so can’t speak for it.

The Centauri 2 Combo is £299 at the moment, which is a really good price. Cheaper than the A1 Combo ( at £319 ). I just don’t know a lot about the Centauri.

As I’ve already said, for a first timer the A1 represents the better choice, even if abit more costly than the C2. But then, that’s my opinion, based on a certain experience with 3d printing. However, that’s a recommendation, not a decision. That’s for you to decide.

Just remember that you are going to be the “goto” person when there are issues with whichever printer you recomend.

My suggestion would be the A1 Mini with a bunch of filament.

I’d see if they can stretch to a P2S without AMS

Yeah, I know that. I don’t mind. I think I will recommend the A1 up to now.

He’s after something bigger than the A1 Mini

He’s after multi-colour. . . . . .

Ahh fair enough I didn’t realise that was one of the criteria I thought you were just mentioning the A1 was

No worries. My fault for not putting it in the first post.

Not at all mate, best of luck with the search.

If it’s multi-color that he wants to print, I’d go for a A1 combo, or if financially acceptable, a P1 or P2 combo (1 AMS). Last choice, if the P1 or 2 not feasible, a C2 combo

My vote would also be for the A1 mini. You simply can not beat the value for money. It is big enough for most prints.

Kids tend to give up on things, a lower investment might be a good thing.

I know this is only in the US, but it makes a good point. Its a good idea to look at the used or refurbished markets depending on availability.

Totally! With a topic like this, that’s often the most important thing to keep in mind.


I’d also recommend the A1, or even picking one up used. It’s more than enough to gain lots of hands‑on experience. Add a very simple CAD program, and you’ve basically got a complete starter package.

What really matters is that the printer can handle mistakes, and in that regard I think the A1 is a good choice. Its parts are inexpensive and fairly easy to replace. If something breaks, your kid should be able to fix it on their own - with just a little help from you. That’s a valuable skill, and many kids actually enjoy it, as long as the process isn’t too complicated.


It’s a bit like learning to drive: you start out in a well‑used old car and take your lessons there, and later on you can always upgrade to something nicer. :grin: :+1:

I always argue they are the absolute best way to learn how 3D printers actually work. Because every moving part is completely exposed, it is much easier for a kid to visually map out exactly how X, Y, and Z axes translate into a physical object. My recommendations A1, A1-Mini and absolutely buy the combo.

x1c refurb for 399? check bambu US store for an example. may be on other regions too.

Nope, it ain’t on other regions. Just the US.

Single material derping around?
A1, A1 mini, or Centauri Carbon

Basic aesthetic/multimaterial stuff?
A1 Combo[399], Kobra X [279], Centauri Carbon 2 [399]

*prices are US stores september2026

Although, at this point, with prices being as they have evolved, I think that you should get a coreXY from the start unless the kid really wants to tinker. Which is sad, i really love the simplicity and accessibility of cartesian. Easier space to work on, usually much more direct troubleshooting, hand and finger accessible controls to use quickly and effectively instead of poking in a menu on a LCD…
ECC2 is a super capable box, the bed level sensors wear out and need replacing after ~2k hours [my experience w/ 6 ECC1s] but if you get to that point he’s clearly hooked; order the spares for christmas

I’ve given her the options of: A1 or A1 Mini.