What's the best SD card that works with this printer?

In the comments I’m reading <32gb? Does speed rating matter?

Not sure why it would be needed to be below 32GB …

On my side i have this card :
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08GYBBBBH?ref_=pe_27091421_487358211_302_E_DDE_dt_1&th=1

(SANDISK 64GB, not especially fast)

And it’s working fine.

• No issues with timelapses being recorded
  • No issue with full videos
  • No issues about formatting it.

Regarding speeds : it’s irrelevant during write time (for timelapses and full videos). It’s irrelevant for STL printings (which are small files). It may just be slower when you remotely download timelapses, or when you transfer full videos… but i’m not sure anyone is doing that so often and for so many big files that this would be a concern (= most users will be fine even with slow SD cards).

Regarding sizes :

• The Bambu Lab accepts up to 2 TB SD cards.
  • The ONLY issue could be for > 32GB SD cards, if there are formatted on WINDOWS (it would be limited to 32GB). So : just don’t do that. Just format the SD CARD with printer itself (it’s easy) (or on LINUX), and you’ll be good to go (it will work on the printer, it will work if the SDCARD is plugged anywhere, including WINDOWS systems).
9 Likes

Thank you! I just now ordered an SD card identical to the one you linked.

Reporting back: I formatted the 64GB SD Card on the X1C, and no problems. After formatting the X1C reports 59GB of available space, which sounds about right because of overhead. :innocent:

1 Like

Windows itself will not format large capacity SD cards as FAT32, but there are several Windows utilities that will. I use RUFUS, which is free and is also useful for creating bootable USB flash drives.

Im having issue with video clips not working (unsupported file)?? It worked for 2 clips then every one after didn’t work? I’m using a 128Gb

Try this reformat your card to fat32 using this software I think the free version will work but I have the pro version my card is also 128gb and this is what made my card work in the Bambu Lab when the card was acting :crazy_face:

AOMEI Partition Assistant

I tried an old 128GB card - formatted it in the printer. That ran fine until the first reboot.
Than boot of the printer hung (Bambulab Logo forever in the display), could only solved by removing the SD card.
A second attempted to format it in the printer failed (said “formatting” forever). So I am actually changing to a SanDisk 64GB card. I will Update this post after a few tests with that one.

2 Likes

It’s not overhead. The over head for FAT32 or XFAT is minimal. What you’re seeing is that storage media are sold as for instance 64GB or 1TB, even though the OS will read and report GiB and TiB, where 1kB == 1000 bytes and 1kiB == 1024 bytes. 1GiB=1024^3 bytes == 1073741824, so if you do 64000000000 / 1073741824, you get 59.5GiB. A disk/card with 1TB storage, holds about 0.9TiB as reported by the OS.

1 Like

ya i stuck a samsung pro 512gb micro SD formatted to fat32 on my mac and works a treat

Forgot to send an update - printer runs fine with a lot of reboot and off on sessions now with the SanDisk 64GB card. So actually that is a combo I can recommend.

Flash memory is always growing in density (more bits), just like HDDs do. Each generation basically doubles the amount of storage on a single chip. Current generation chips are 512Gb devices, which equate to 32GB user capacity. So if you’re looking for a new SD card, you want to avoid lower capacities than 32GB, you may be buying older less capable product.

There are only about a half dozen “major” Flash manufacturers in the world; Samsung, Sandisk, Kioxia, Micron, SKHynix, a couple I’m forgetting. Everyone else is buying their flash from these guys and rebranding it. All these companies sometimes produce batches that don’t meet specs, and they sell them at a deep discount. There’s also a strong business in “harvesting” Flash from consumer electronics like cell phones and tablets (you wonder what happens when you recycle this stuff? that’s what happens). The lesser-known SD card manufacturers include some that will be using these questionable parts. Although, it’s important to understand that not every card will be defective, you stand a higher chance of getting a defective one compared to a name brand. The no-names are cheaper for a reason. So if they don’t have a strong, recognizable “brand”, IMO you’d be better off staying away.

The other thing to watch out for is counterfeits. Sandisk is a major target for counterfeiters. If you see name brand cards for a steep discount compared to what they sell for on Amazon, IMO you’d be better off staying away from these, too…

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can confirm the Sandisk Extreme PRO 128Gb works just fine, after formatting in the X1C.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Extreme-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B09X7FXHVJ?th=1

I wanted the size for local storage of a LOT of models, so I can print remotely, also LOT of video.
I also FTP direct to the SDCard and this is very handy to just transfer and pull back loads of modles, the video feeds and the timelapse.

Sandisk Extreme over Ultra, Extreme is 4K and higher burst save rate (apparently) vs Ultra at 1080 - and the X1C is 1080 … so its not ‘really’ needed, but whatever, the Extreme PRO was on sale for me.

1 Like

Not sure if having “too many” saved timelapse video files on the SD Card was a factor, or if it was something else, but the process of trying to watch a recent timelapse eventually became intolerably slow. So, I’m reformatting and starting over.

Also, I think the reason some people prefer <32gb is that Windows will no longer natively offer to format the SD card using Fat32 if it’s larger than that. You can still get linux to do it, or, as others here have pointed out, you can find a third party windows utility to still do it.

It’s a weak concern, though, as the printer itself can certainly format a >32gB SD Card quiet easily.

HOW DO I GET a complete replacment for the original SD card that came with the p1p??

Welcome to the forum.

Are you looking for the files originally on the card?

Any card under 2tb will work, ideally a 32g card and it has to be formatted to FAT32.

2 Likes

Yes!! I have the SD card that is needed

I need ALL files that came with the original card, that it boots from

NO code files

None of the Bambu printers boot from the SD card.

2 Likes

I made the mistake of ordering from the link that was below this quote in the original post, didn’t notice that it’s not a micro SD card….

So look for the micro SD card version!